Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Will iPad Fail in School?

This is a discussion on Will iPad Fail in School? within the iPad General Discussions forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I came across this article in BusinessWeek the other day: Will iPad Fail in School? - BusinessWeek To summarize, a high school in Michigan is ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    6955
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    33

    Will iPad Fail in School?

    I came across this article in BusinessWeek the other day:
    Will iPad Fail in School? - BusinessWeek

    To summarize, a high school in Michigan is playing around with the idea of using the iPad as a learning aid for their students. One problem the teachers see with the device: the lack of a remote monitoring program so the teachers can see what are on their students' screens at any given time.

    I understand that the teachers want to make sure their students are learning while in school, but does that become synonymous with requiring the ability to peek into students' computers Big Brother style to make sure they are actually doing school work?

    The teachers wonder why Apple doesn't implement a monitoring program that runs at startup in the background, but, in my opinion, if Apple put in a remote monitoring feature into every iPad then that would open a whole can of worms regarding privacy and security in general.

    What do you all think? Should there be a remote monitor ability installed into the iPad before it can be used in high schools or are teachers becoming too demanding in their want for control?
    32GB black iPhone 4
    16GB wifi-only iPad

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    7401
    Liked
    8 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,239
    Here is a newsflash: The iPad is NOT the be-all end-all solution to every computer need. Its cool. Its neat. It is certainly innovative, but it is OK to not use an iPad for everything. Sorry Mr. Jobs.

  4. #3
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    6955
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
    Here is a newsflash: The iPad is NOT the be-all end-all solution to every computer need. Its cool. Its neat. It is certainly innovative, but it is OK to not use an iPad for everything. Sorry Mr. Jobs.
    It was never stated that the iPad is the be-all end-all solution to everything. I am curious that once slate-type or ultramobile computers make their way into the school systems (I firmly believe they will, it's just a matter of time), will it become a necessity for a remote monitoring program to be built into the device, be it iPad or otherwise?
    32GB black iPhone 4
    16GB wifi-only iPad

  5. #4
    Banned
    Member #
    8935
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    203
    The ipad would literally be the worst device to use as a learning tool in school. And any school that considers spending the amount of money it would take to outfit itself with iPads should have its budget slashed bigtime.

    The iPad is a media consumption device. A laptop or desktop is a much better option for students.

  6. #5
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    2297
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180
    in my opinion the iPad will excel in the field of education, I firmly believe that, eventually you'll see them in classrooms everywhere

  7. #6
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    7401
    Liked
    8 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,239
    Quote Originally Posted by theipadstudent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
    Here is a newsflash: The iPad is NOT the be-all end-all solution to every computer need. Its cool. Its neat. It is certainly innovative, but it is OK to not use an iPad for everything. Sorry Mr. Jobs.
    It was never stated that the iPad is the be-all end-all solution to everything.
    But people act like it is. "How come my iPad won't do this?" "How come my iPad won't do that?"

    My point was that the schools are taking the wrong approach. Instead of looking for a solution for a problem, they are trying to take the iPad and make it the solution and it is clearly not designed to meet their needs... at least not at this time. Its not the iPad that is failing. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The article states, "It would be a crowning achievement after five years of searching for the perfect laptop for students." The iPad was not designed to be laptop in a different package. As has been stated over and over and over again, it is primarily a media consumption device. If you bought it to replace a laptop or some other portable computing solution, you will most likely be disappointed.

    Here's another news flash: Its the education system that is failing and this is just another example.

    [/RANT] off
    Last edited by iPadCharlie; 07-21-2010 at 11:16 PM.

  8. #7
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    6955
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theipadstudent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
    Here is a newsflash: The iPad is NOT the be-all end-all solution to every computer need. Its cool. Its neat. It is certainly innovative, but it is OK to not use an iPad for everything. Sorry Mr. Jobs.
    It was never stated that the iPad is the be-all end-all solution to everything.
    But people act like it is. "How come my iPad won't do this?" "How come my iPad won't do that?"

    My point was that the schools are taking the wrong approach. Instead of looking for a solution for a problem, they are trying to take the iPad and make it the solution and it is clearly not designed to meet their needs... at least not at this time. Its not the iPad that is failing. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The article states, "It would be a crowning achievement after five years of searching for the perfect laptop for students." The iPad was not designed to be laptop in a different package. As has been stated over and over and over again, it is primarily a media consumption device. If you bought it to replace a laptop or some other portable computing solution, you will most likely be disappointed.

    Here's another news flash: Its the education system that is failing and this is just another example.

    [/RANT] off
    Ahh thanks for the clarification. I see exactly where you're coming from now.
    32GB black iPhone 4
    16GB wifi-only iPad

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    3851
    Liked
    19 times
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,366
    I think they are crazy for expecting to have monitoring on the ipad.

    This school probably is used to monitoring the students activity with monitoring software on their PC's. Many schools do this in computer labs. They have just become spoiled by this and now expect everything in the future to be able to do what they could do previously on the computers.

    Do the teachers not have legs to walk around the room and monitor what the kids are doing? Also the ipad can be very strictly locked down from doing most things. No installing of new apps or anything like that. And if they are connecting to the school wifi the network will have the same web filtering that all the PC's Have.

    Would be nice if my school could afford iPads, not even for each student but just for teachers. As it is right now with all the budget cuts the school doesn't even have the money to replace any of the current computers that are broken and most of the current computers are 6-8 years old.
    Last edited by MikesTooLz; 07-21-2010 at 11:29 PM.

  10. #9
    iPad Master!
    Member #
    1558
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    636
    I love the iPad but I sure would hate being the student that had to depend on it as a learning tool. A lot of people can't not use this device for long term reading due to the screen light and eye stress. Some colleges are already using the iPad for their text books. I don't have a problem reading with the iPad but for those that do, they may be SOL. I hope the coleges will offer option either or..

  11. #10
    iPad Ninja
    Member #
    5787
    Liked
    22 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,282
    Sad that teachers have lost the use of their legs and are unable to walk around the classroom..........


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. 10 iPads for school setting
    By Blondbubble in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 10:08 AM
  2. Implementing Ipad in a school district?
    By northridgelocal in forum iPad OS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
  3. Space Invaders HD Keeps it Old School
    By Maura in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 07:42 AM
  4. California School Introduces iPad into the Classroom
    By iDan in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 04:34 AM
  5. Zagg Packaging FAIL
    By Linkreincarnate in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Search tags for this page

disadvantage of ipad in education
,
disadvantages of ipad in education
,

disadvantages of ipad in schools

,
disadvantages of ipad in the classroom
,
disadvantages of ipads in the classroom
,
disadvantages of learning on an ipad
,
disadvantages of learning with ipad
,

disadvantages of using ipad in school

,
disadvantages of using ipad in schools
,
disadvantages of using ipads in school
,
how to make a classroom ipad charging station
,

ipad charging station classroom

Click on a term to search for related topics.