Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

External Hard drive

This is a discussion on External Hard drive within the iPad General Discussions forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hey iPad people! New here! I've succumbed to the Apple addiction. Now that I'm here, I would like to know if there is an external ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: External Hard drive

  1. #1
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    83589
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4

    External Hard drive

    Hey iPad people!
    New here! I've succumbed to the Apple addiction. Now that I'm here, I would like to know if there is an external hard drive that will not only store my files, videos and pics, but that will allow me to manipulate those items directly from my iPad? I see some suggesting to use your PC for certain things, but I'm not yet comfortable with that option. Just wondering if there is an external hard drive that will do more than just store my content. I hope my question is clear. Thanks!

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    RAC
    RAC is offline
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by pearliegirl5 View Post
    Hey iPad people!
    New here! I've succumbed to the Apple addiction. Now that I'm here, I would like to know if there is an external hard drive that will not only store my files, videos and pics, but that will allow me to manipulate those items directly from my iPad? I see some suggesting to use your PC for certain things, but I'm not yet comfortable with that option. Just wondering if there is an external hard drive that will do more than just store my content. I hope my question is clear. Thanks!
    It may not be a complete answer but network storage + apps such as FileBrowser will help to get what you want.

    Basically, forget direct connection to a USB drive and think WiFi, unless you are happy to jail break.

    AirStash is also an option.

  4. #3
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    83589
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC

    It may not be a complete answer but network storage + apps such as FileBrowser will help to get what you want.

    Basically, forget direct connection to a USB drive and think WiFi, unless you are happy to jail break.

    AirStash is also an option.
    Thanks! Now, be patient with me, but I'm not up on File Browser and will that give me say 500MG? Basically I'm using my iPad like a laptop so the ability to edit or manipulate my content & have ample space without too much hassle is what I'm looking for. I also see dropbox mentioned quite a bit. If I am using my PC remotely does that mean I leave it turned on all day? I'm asking because I simply don't know. Thanks!

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Quote Originally Posted by pearliegirl5

    Thanks! Now, be patient with me, but I'm not up on File Browser and will that give me say 500MG? Basically I'm using my iPad like a laptop so the ability to edit or manipulate my content & have ample space without too much hassle is what I'm looking for. I also see dropbox mentioned quite a bit. If I am using my PC remotely does that mean I leave it turned on all day? I'm asking because I simply don't know. Thanks!
    Do you mean 500GB?

    The Archangel

  6. #5
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    66612
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    112
    I use FileBrowser and a network attached drive (NAS) with great success. Gives me 1.5TG.

    Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

  7. #6
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    66612
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    112
    I would like to add that you can "copy" from GoodReader to the drive via FileBrowser.

    Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

  8. #7
    RAC
    RAC is offline
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by pearliegirl5 View Post
    Thanks! Now, be patient with me, but I'm not up on File Browser and will that give me say 500MG? Basically I'm using my iPad like a laptop so the ability to edit or manipulate my content & have ample space without too much hassle is what I'm looking for. I also see dropbox mentioned quite a bit. If I am using my PC remotely does that mean I leave it turned on all day? I'm asking because I simply don't know. Thanks!
    FileBrowser is just software to access content on external file systems. For additional storage you need a networked storage device such as Network Attached Storage (NAS) or file server.

    For example I have a 1 TB (1,000 GB) Weston Digital NAS on which I have 80 GB of photos which are readily accessible via FileBrowser, on my 16GB iPad.

    As mentioned by others, there other other applications such as GoodReader and QuickOffice that are useful as well.

    DropBox and iCloud also provide cloud storage. These are a good solution for remote access. You can also make a NAS available remotely as an FTP server if you want to.

    For reasons I don't understand, iOS doesn't directly support access to a general file system. It seems to have a private file space for each application with some cross sharing where developers think to provide it. To attach a USB, the iPad needs to be jail broken.

    The kindest excuse that I can come up with (for the lack of file system access) is that the iPad is supposed to be a cloud device, but I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that iOS has evolved from the iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone to finally the iPad.

    Various apps, such as the above, provide a partial work around.

    Oh, and you will get some replies that say "it's not supposed to be a computer, stupid". I ignore such comments, you free to do so too.
    Last edited by RAC; 08-01-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    JonMac likes this.

  9. #8
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    83589
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4
    My apologies, I meant 500GB. I thank you for your response an all the suggestions. Gee! I hope no one would say such a terrible thing. I think with all the apps the iPad can pretty much be whatever you need it to be with in reason. I have friends that are reluctant to join this forum due to such possible responses from tech folks. If we don't know, we don't know but we are willing to learn. I too have a 16GB iPad and am running out of space quickly so I am graciously thankful for your response. Now I will try to find the items you mentioned. Again, the responses are much appreciated!

  10. #9
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1522 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,429
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    For reasons I don't understand, iOS doesn't directly support access to a general file system. It seems to have a private file space for each application with some cross sharing where developers think to provide it. To attach a USB, the iPad needs to be jail broken.

    The kindest excuse that I can come up with (for the lack of file system access) is that the iPad is supposed to be a cloud device, but I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that iOS has evolved from the iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone to finally the iPad.
    Another reason (or excuse if you prefer) is that the sand boxing of each app allows for tighter security. Apps can not steal information from other apps, nor corrupt them. At least not easily.

  11. #10
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    66612
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by pearliegirl5
    My apologies, I meant 500GB. I thank you for your response an all the suggestions. Gee! I hope no one would say such a terrible thing. I think with all the apps the iPad can pretty much be whatever you need it to be with in reason. I have friends that are reluctant to join this forum due to such possible responses from tech folks. If we don't know, we don't know but we are willing to learn. I too have a 16GB iPad and am running out of space quickly so I am graciously thankful for your response. Now I will try to find the items you mentioned. Again, the responses are much appreciated!
    Let us know how you solved your issue!

    Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Ipad external hard drive
    By PKay in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
  2. External Hard Drive
    By BadBoi2011 in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 01:13 AM
  3. DVDs on an external hard drive
    By ImaWitch in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
  4. External hard drive?
    By GeorgieB in forum iPad 2 Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 04:22 PM
  5. External Hard Drive & Camera Kit
    By o_mega05 in forum iPad Hacking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 11:29 PM

Search tags for this page

can ipad read external hard drive
,
can ipad read hard
,
can you connect an ipad to an external hard drive
,

external hard drive

,
external hard drives
,
how to make ipad external hard drive
,
ipad external hard drive
,
ipad read external hard drive
Click on a term to search for related topics.