Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

New (Original) Ipad owner with a few questions.

This is a discussion on New (Original) Ipad owner with a few questions. within the iPad General Discussions forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hey guys. I'm a new Ipad user and also relatively new to apple products in general (the only other apple product I've ever had is ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    50439
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6

    New (Original) Ipad owner with a few questions.

    Hey guys. I'm a new Ipad user and also relatively new to apple products in general (the only other apple product I've ever had is an old 2GB ipod) and so I was hoping you would be kind enough to help me answer some questions I have about this device.

    Now, since I don't live in the US I couldn't buy an Ipad 2 so I went for the original Ipad instead, but my friend who is more familiar with Apple tells me it has been almost a year since it was released and that the Ipad 2 is significantly more powerful than its predecessor...he says that future updates from now on are most likely to be designed with the Ipad 2 in mind and that my model could suffer performance issues because of this as it will not be able to keep up.

    I plan to use my Ipad for note-taking in college mostly but using the internet browser and other features would be nice too. Do you guys think I should be worried? (I'm not very tech savvy so I don't really know if this difference is as big as he says) Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Har227
    Hey guys. I'm a new Ipad user and also relatively new to apple products in general (the only other apple product I've ever had is an old 2GB ipod) and so I was hoping you would be kind enough to help me answer some questions I have about this device.

    Now, since I don't live in the US I couldn't buy an Ipad 2 so I went for the original Ipad instead, but my friend who is more familiar with Apple tells me it has been almost a year since it was released and that the Ipad 2 is significantly more powerful than its predecessor...he says that future updates from now on are most likely to be designed with the Ipad 2 in mind and that my model could suffer performance issues because of this as it will not be able to keep up.

    I plan to use my Ipad for note-taking in college mostly but using the internet browser and other features would be nice too. Do you guys think I should be worried? (I'm not very tech savvy so I don't really know if this difference is as big as he says) Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
    No, you really shouldn't be worried. There are simply thousands of apps available to you to do what you need. Even with the advent of iPad 2 there are only a small number of apps which will run on 2 and not 1 and mainly then because of the cameras.

    Whilst it is inevitable that eventually there will be a plethora apps in the future which will only work with newer iPads it isn't that way now. Typed on my highly prized iPad 1!

    The Archangel

  4. #3
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    Absolutely, as Gabriel said, you should not be worried. The iPad1 is a fine machine (I am typing on one now too) and will fill your every need. There are hundreds of thousands of apps available - and only a very few (at the moment) that can take advantage of the iPad2's features. So be pleased with your purchase; you will soon learn to love it and be very pleased indeed that you purchased one.

    Tim

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Blimey.....did I only say thousands! I need another iPad just to help me with all those noughts!

    The Archangel

  6. #5
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    50439
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Well that's a huge burden off my shoulders and it's also nice to see that there's still people who are using the Ipad 1.

    I was really worried my Ipad would just loose support altogether because the closest thing I could relate it to was video game console generations but again it is really a relief to know that maybe (hopefully) I can get a year or more of good use out of it. Regardless, thanks for replying so quickly.

  7. #6
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    50439
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim SPRACKLEN View Post
    Absolutely, as Gabriel said, you should not be worried. The iPad1 is a fine machine (I am typing on one now too) and will fill your every need. There are hundreds of thousands of apps available - and only a very few (at the moment) that can take advantage of the iPad2's features. So be pleased with your purchase; you will soon learn to love it and be very pleased indeed that you purchased one.

    Tim
    Well...I must say it is indeed a wonderful machine and I'm really pleased with it so far, that was just a lingering fear I had that it would loose support or functionality as new updates rolled out but now that I know otherwise that can be put to rest, either way I'm really impressed with it and really hats off to apple.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Har227
    Well that's a huge burden off my shoulders and it's also nice to see that there's still people who are using the Ipad 1.

    I was really worried my Ipad would just loose support altogether because the closest thing I could relate it to was video game console generations but again it is really a relief to know that maybe (hopefully) I can get a year or more of good use out of it. Regardless, thanks for replying so quickly.
    Oh you'll definitely get that and I'm finding new apps everyday for my iPad 1 plus you will get loads of support here to help you out.

    The Archangel

  9. #8
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    50439
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Har227
    Well that's a huge burden off my shoulders and it's also nice to see that there's still people who are using the Ipad 1.

    I was really worried my Ipad would just loose support altogether because the closest thing I could relate it to was video game console generations but again it is really a relief to know that maybe (hopefully) I can get a year or more of good use out of it. Regardless, thanks for replying so quickly.
    Oh you'll definitely get that and I'm finding new apps everyday for my iPad 1 plus you will get loads of support here to help you out.

    The Archangel
    I'm starting to see that this is a great community and really thanks to the both of you for your replies, here's hoping I enjoy some more time with my Ipad.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    13576
    Liked
    1447 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Western NY state (USA)
    Posts
    11,055
    Oh my gosh, I sure hope I get more than a year of use out of this thing!

    I, too, have the classic iPad and honestly don't miss the new features of the 2. Granted, I've not used those new features, but I am perfectly happy playing with the iPad1.

    Welcome to the iPad group ... you'll be fine!

    Marilyn
    Space Gray 32GB WiFi-only iPad Air & Black 32GB iPhone 5 (both jailbroken on iOS 7.0.6 w/evasi0n7)
    * * * PLEASE READ * * * Forum Rules * * * Hacking Section Rules * * * PLEASE READ * * *


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. New iPad Owner Questions
    By edfrmva1 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
  2. New iPad Owner Questions
    By edfrmva1 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
  3. New iPad owner with a couple of questions
    By j66photo in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 07:33 PM
  4. Questions from a soon to be ipad owner
    By artemisblossom in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 03:47 PM
  5. Questions from an about-to-be owner of an Ipad...
    By maddprof in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM