Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Photo Image Quality

This is a discussion on Photo Image Quality within the iPad General Discussions forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I have my iPad with me on a trip expecting it to be great for viewing photos. I am shocked to find that the photos ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Photo Image Quality

    I have my iPad with me on a trip expecting it to be great for viewing photos. I am shocked to find that the photos look better in my PC (which I have with me for business purposes). The colours are more true to life on the PC.
    Last edited by RAC; 03-19-2011 at 04:29 AM.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    I have my iPad with me on a trip expecting it to be great for viewing photos. I am shocked to find that the photos look better in my PC (which I have with me for business purposes). The colours are more true to life on the PC.
    Thanks for your very interesting observation. I've not really done such a thorough comparison - well, actually no comparison at all, so I'm going to have a look at this today.

    Are you using any image processing software on the iPad - Photoshop, or something similar? What camera were you using and did you export the pictures in the same format to both platforms?

    Tim
    Scotland

  4. #3
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim SPRACKLEN View Post
    Thanks for your very interesting observation. I've not really done such a thorough comparison - well, actually no comparison at all, so I'm going to have a look at this today.

    Are you using any image processing software on the iPad - Photoshop, or something similar? What camera were you using and did you export the pictures in the same format to both platforms?

    Tim
    Scotland
    No post processing in either case.

    I actually thought, at that the photos were not very well exposed at first, unusual for an SLR camera.

    After copying files on to a portable HDD using my PC (something that you can't do on the iPad), I decided to have a quick look at them an was quite surprised to discover that they were much better than they first appeared.

    On the iPad, the pictures look underexposed and have an orange cast on beach sand foe example.

    I have mentioned before my disappointment at not being able able to use the iPad to backup photos to HDD but I thought that at least it would be a great way to view photos, but apparently not.

  5. #4
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    26693
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    130
    I found that if you transfer photos through itunes, itunes will downsize the file and store it in a separate directory. It then uses that new file in the new itunes photo directory to copy to the iPad. If I want an original of the jpg I transfer it through dropbox. Unfortunately when you do it through dropbox there is no way to organize the photos so they all end up in the Saved folder.

    Nate

  6. #5
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim SPRACKLEN View Post
    Thanks for your very interesting observation. I've not really done such a thorough comparison - well, actually no comparison at all, so I'm going to have a look at this today.

    Are you using any image processing software on the iPad - Photoshop, or something similar? What camera were you using and did you export the pictures in the same format to both platforms?

    Tim
    Scotland
    No post processing in either case.

    I actually thought, at that the photos were not very well exposed at first, unusual for an SLR camera.

    After copying files on to a portable HDD using my PC (something that you can't do on the iPad), I decided to have a quick look at them an was quite surprised to discover that they were much better than they first appeared.

    On the iPad, the pictures look underexposed and have an orange cast on beach sand foe example.

    I have mentioned before my disappointment at not being able able to use the iPad to backup photos to HDD but I thought that at least it would be a great way to view photos, but apparently not.
    There are a number of external HDDs for the iPad that you can use to store photos - thus removing the need to keep your PC with you. They can only be used to store videos and photos, i.e. not other documents, unless you jail break, but they might be what you are looking for.

    Here's a link to one of them..

    HyperDrive: iPad hard drive boosts your iPad storage to 750GB - Pocket-lint

    Tim
    Scotland

  7. #6
    iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    37165
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    374

    Extra storage for Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim SPRACKLEN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim SPRACKLEN View Post
    Thanks for your very interesting observation. I've not really done such a thorough comparison - well, actually no comparison at all, so I'm going to have a look at this today.

    Are you using any image processing software on the iPad - Photoshop, or something similar? What camera were you using and did you export the pictures in the same format to both platforms?

    Tim
    Scotland
    No post processing in either case.

    I actually thought, at that the photos were not very well exposed at first, unusual for an SLR camera.

    After copying files on to a portable HDD using my PC (something that you can't do on the iPad), I decided to have a quick look at them an was quite surprised to discover that they were much better than they first appeared.

    On the iPad, the pictures look underexposed and have an orange cast on beach sand foe example.

    I have mentioned before my disappointment at not being able able to use the iPad to backup photos to HDD but I thought that at least it would be a great way to view photos, but apparently not.
    There are a number of external HDDs for the iPad that you can use to store photos - thus removing the need to keep your PC with you. They can only be used to store videos and photos, i.e. not other documents, unless you jail break, but they might be what you are looking for.

    Here's a link to one of them..

    HyperDrive: iPad hard drive boosts your iPad storage to 750GB - Pocket-lint

    Tim
    Scotland


    Actually at $250 that is a bargain. Years ago, (5 at least) EPSON wanted $550 for 35 GB on a hand held storage drive. That was when I picked up a small laptop with 60 GB for about the same price, and then I had a full display screen to see the photos nicely. This of course, has changed a lot, but the idea has real merit.
    Last edited by madhatter61; 03-20-2011 at 07:34 PM.

  8. #7
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post
    Actually at $250 that is a bargain. Years ago, EPSON wanted $550 for 35 GB on a hand held storage drive. That was when I picked up a small laptop with 60 GB for about the same price, and then I had a full display screen to see the photos nicely. This of course, has changed a lot, but the idea has real merit.
    Actually, I think $250 and counting is expensive when you think you can buy a decent capacity portable HDD for $100 or so.

    I did look at HyperDrive and almost convinced myself that it was the answer but I don't think that it is.

    Couple of years ago I purchased the cheapest Asus Netbook (Linux) for under $300 and used it with portable HDD thatI already owned. It alll works well I have even developed a Perl script to copy only new files into separate directories for raw and jpeg in a nominated directory.

    The iPad just can't do that. Perhaps what is required is a "Photo Organiser app that does all of the above.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    OK, I have to admit that I know very little about this but couldn't the wifi be used to do what you want. I did a bit of googling and found this.....

    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...=104395&r=GOOG

    Is there anyway something like this could be set up to use as external storage whilst travelling?

    The Archangel

  10. #9
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
    OK, I have to admit that I know very little about this but couldn't the wifi be used to do what you want. I did a bit of googling and found this.....

    7dayshop.com - Online Store

    Is there anyway something like this could be set up to use as external storage whilst travelling?

    The Archangel
    I agree that wireless HDDs may be part of the answer. The other part is software that can copy files from the Camera Connection Kit to the wireless HDD. I don't think that there is an app that does that yet.

    The drive that you mention is a bit expensive, possibly because it is media player as well. It also has a 3.5" drive where 2.5" would be more portable. It's definitely a good thought though.

    By the way, my iPad was set to low brightness to conserve power. Turning up the brightness improved image quality but there is still less detail visible in dark areas than on my PC.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    37823
    Liked
    748 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cranbrook, Kent, UK
    Posts
    17,132
    I actually searched for wifi HD's but to be honest, due to my lack of knowledge in this area that was the only one that jumped out at me as a possibility. If you know what you are looking at then I am certain you could find something cheaper.......that's it, I'm done, what little knowledge I have on this subject has all leaked out now!!

    The Archangel


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Photo/Image Saving Problem
    By krmiller01 in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 06:52 AM
  2. iPad fb photo quality
    By Jessiemoss in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
  3. How to pick image for front of photo albums?
    By donaldfrancis in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM
  4. Anything better than Image Bank
    By mitch1 in forum iPad Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 09:09 PM
  5. Image List
    By NightStalker in forum iPad Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Search tags for this page

adjust picture quality ipad
,
adjusting ipad picture quality
,
how to adjust photo quality on ipad
,
ipad image quality
,

ipad photo quality

,
ipad photo quality problem
,

ipad picture quality

,
problem quality picture on ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.