Forums are supposed to be a platform for people to air their views democratically so you will get people in favour and those who are against. I have used my friend's ipad for the last couple of days and though it looks good, after a while I thought I would rather be on my desktop with a proper computer keyboard and a big monitor for the visuals.
Advantages of the iPad
1) Flexibility. You can use it anywhere because of its design.
2) Excellent device for reading books, possibly better than Amazon's Kindle.
3) I can imagine slate computers such as the iPad being widely used in certain industries such as hospitals by doctors and nursing staff with the devices connected to the hospital's network becaus ethey are often on their feet, but I don't think its a great device for being used in the home for office productivity.
1) It just feels like a bigger iPod touch
2) There are way too many limitations compared to a normal desktop/laptop computer.
3) Slate computers are not really for using long time in one stretch. The hands become tired (I excerise quite regularly and not really unfit and do not suffer from RSI). You don't see people playing with their smartphones for too long.
4) Good for reading emails and ocassional surfing but wouldn't say its great for viewing videos for too long. If you have a 22 inch monitor, you would rather watch a movie or a sport on a bigger screen.
5) As for gaming, nothing beats a games console with a game pad device to play with. If you wnat the best ganming experience, you are better off with an Xbox, a Playstation or a Nintendo.