Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Personal Cloud for iPad

This is a discussion on Personal Cloud for iPad within the iPad General Discussions forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Note: The frowning face in the title got there by accident and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it. I assume that ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Personal Cloud for iPad

    Note: The frowning face in the title got there by accident and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it.

    I assume that part of the justification for the lack of access to the file system on the iPad is that it is intended to be a Cloud device.

    Partly by intent and partly by accident I seem to be overcoming many of the perceived shortcomings by setting up my own, personal Cloud.

    I have a 1TB NAS (WD "White Light") and have loaded up some apps on the iPad that allow me to manage files locally pretty much as you would with a PC or Mac.

    The applications are FileBrowser, iSSH and, to some extent, WD Photo.

    An example of what I can do, is to plug an SD card into my HP (ePrint) printer and copy files from there to a public NAS folder using FileBrowser. WB Photo can be used to SELECTIVELY copy photos from there to the Camera Roll.

    Now I have easy access to the 25 GB of images on the file server (using FileBrowser or WD Photo) and can move selected photos onto the iPad and view them in Photos.

    FileBrowser is a bit slow at copying folders and that's where iSSH comes in.

    Firstly the WD NAS allows you to enable SSH (Linux scripting). Originally this was an unofficial hack, now it can be done through the WD web based management tool.

    With iSSH I can use Linux commands to copy files around the the network, bypassing the iPad, hopefully achieving greater speed. I haven't actually managed to mount the SD card (in the printer) from SSH yet, but if FileBrowser can see it, it must be possible. A bonus is that I can use file specs (e.g. *.jpg) to be more selective as to which files are copied, copying jpg files to one folder and raw files to another folder, for example.

    Also, WD supplies web based copy manager that can do bulk background copies at reasonable speed.

    One minor annoyance is that part of the WD NAS initial set up is Flash based , but I have only had to use that once so far.
    Last edited by iPadCharlie; 12-18-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Removed "frowning face"

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    7401
    Liked
    8 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,239
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    Note: The frowning face in the title got there by accident and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it.
    Took care of it for you. No charge!

  4. #3
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    Note: The frowning face in the title got there by accident and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it.
    Took care of it for you. No charge!
    Thanks.

  5. #4
    iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    12225
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    387
    I dont think the OP premise is correct. The iPad has gigabytes of storage to allow users to keep thousands of songs and dozens of videos on it. The reason there is no standard fille system management is to encourage the average user to use iTunes to buy content for the iPad.

    Steve Jobs put a storage device in your iPad so that HE could fill it up
    Posted from my iPad WiFi 64GB

  6. #5
    iPad Ninja
    Member #
    772
    Liked
    6 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Montréal Québec
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecklass View Post
    I dont think the OP premise is correct. The iPad has gigabytes of storage to allow users to keep thousands of songs and dozens of videos on it. The reason there is no standard fille system management is to encourage the average user to use iTunes to buy content for the iPad.

    Steve Jobs put a storage device in your iPad so that HE could fill it up
    But why then is document sharing with a host computer authorized? Having a computer on at all time is a bad idea, better to have a NAS "on" especially the WD MyBook World. It's touted to be energy frugal and I like mine. All the computers on my network have access to it including my iPad via FileBrowser.

    Actually Apple wants to sell us cloud rental, that's what...
    Not white, not black just passionate shades of grey...

    Yuno Wataï Minh

  7. #6
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by iVan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecklass View Post
    I dont think the OP premise is correct. The iPad has gigabytes of storage to allow users to keep thousands of songs and dozens of videos on it. The reason there is no standard fille system management is to encourage the average user to use iTunes to buy content for the iPad.

    Steve Jobs put a storage device in your iPad so that HE could fill it up
    But why then is document sharing with a host computer authorized? Having a computer on at all time is a bad idea, better to have a NAS "on" especially the WD MyBook World. It's touted to be energy frugal and I like mine. All the computers on my network have access to it including my iPad via FileBrowser.

    Actually Apple wants to sell us cloud rental, that's what...
    I agree on both iTunes and Cloud rental (that's MobileMe in AppleSpeak right?).

    I am beginning to think that the NAS approach is looking quite viable. the main benefits are not having to fire up the notebook, not having to use iTunes and being free to copy what I want where I want.

    Perhaps we should keep quiet about it in case someone decides to put a stop to it. Actually if that happened my next tablet would not be an iPad.

  8. #7
    iPad Ninja
    Member #
    772
    Liked
    6 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Montréal Québec
    Posts
    1,932
    I've set up iTunes on my host computer to access files directly from my NAS, so I've freed 175GB of space on that laptop. The NAS even shows up in iTunes like any iPod/iPad or other Apple "iPlayToy" devices. That means it is authorized by Apple, no scares there.
    Not white, not black just passionate shades of grey...

    Yuno Wataï Minh

  9. #8
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    6173
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by iVan View Post
    I've set up iTunes on my host computer to access files directly from my NAS, so I've freed 175GB of space on that laptop. The NAS even shows up in iTunes like any iPod/iPad or other Apple "iPlayToy" devices. That means it is authorized by Apple, no scares there.
    I have that partially set up, the NAS is available in iTunes as you say, but no content seems to be available. I definitely have iTunes "turned on" on the NAS.

    My main aim to to minimise the use of iTunes anyway so I haven't made much of an effort to find out why.

  10. #9
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    22351
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ball Ground, GA
    Posts
    31
    Good reader is supposed to let you connect to local servers but so far I've not been able to get it to see my local shared 1TB drive ( the rest of my network has no trouble connecting, reading and writing to it).

    I have a thread about that somewhere.

  11. #10
    iPad Ninja
    Member #
    772
    Liked
    6 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Montréal Québec
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Politenessman View Post
    Good reader is supposed to let you connect to local servers but so far I've not been able to get it to see my local shared 1TB drive ( the rest of my network has no trouble connecting, reading and writing to it).

    I have a thread about that somewhere.
    I've tried the same, GoodReader does not want to see the NAS.
    Not white, not black just passionate shades of grey...

    Yuno Wataï Minh


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. My personal iPad review.
    By ivanmarkchang in forum iPad Reviews
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM
  2. Back up iPad contact in the cloud
    By paulyeo11 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
  3. my personal iPad 2 week review
    By Temp40 in forum iPad Reviews
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
  4. My personal TeamViewer iPad app review
    By Temp40 in forum User News Submissions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 07:53 PM
  5. Your personal encounters with iHaters of the new iPad...
    By Isaac Newton in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Search tags for this page

goodreader nas

,
ipad and personal cloud
,
ipad local cloud
,

ipad personal cloud

,
local cloud ipad
,

personal cloud for ipad

,

personal cloud ipad

,
personal nas cloud for ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.