Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Fast Remote Desktop iPad app

This is a discussion on Fast Remote Desktop iPad app within the iPad General Discussions forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I'm using a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad. I just saw a free app - 'Fast Remote Desktop by VDIworks' - » www.vdiworks.com/datasheets/VoIP_Guide.pdf "Fast Remote Desktop by ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    7505
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27

    Fast Remote Desktop iPad app

    I'm using a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad. I just saw a free app - 'Fast Remote Desktop by VDIworks' - »www.vdiworks.com/datasheets/VoIP_Guide.pdf

    "Fast Remote Desktop by VDIworks lets you connect to and control any Windows PC in the world! Install the app on your iPad and download the server or host component of the software from the VDIworks website, at Virtualization Software for Desktops,Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, VDI, Deskto and you're ready to go! Once you have downloaded and installed the Fast Remote Desktop app, please visit the VDIworks.com website to obtain the installer for your PC. Once you download and install this software on your PC, it will be capable of allowing connections from your iPad."

    It's raining and cold today so maybe my brain is slow, but does this mean that I can use my iPad to open a remote desktop session of my PC and do everything on my iPad that I can do on my real PC? Could I open Firefox and browse my bookmarks. Can I open any Desktop application and use the application? What about security - I have my banking info and other personal info on my PC. Would using this app comprise the private info on my PC when I was using the iPad as a remote PC ?

    Thanks

    Robert

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    17419
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    646
    Yes, another good one is splashtop remote. It's not free but works really well.
    Everything is Bigger in TEXAS!!
    iPad 16GB WiFi
    iPhone4 32GB

    Be sure and check out iphone4forum.net! For anything iPhone..
    Me over on the other side...

  4. #3
    Banned
    Member #
    14962
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY - USA
    Posts
    615
    Splashtop isnt free for the iPad, no, however it is fast enough that, provided you have a good connection (3G or WIFI) you can stream video, Flash and even games. Just to test it out, I was able to connect to World of Warcraft and run around. Won't be raiding without a mouse, but it was definitely playable.

  5. #4
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    16042
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    82
    Teamviewer is also free. I would try that before going to the ones that cost. TeamViewer App for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad & Android

  6. #5
    epb
    epb is offline
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    4438
    Liked
    14 times
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by boaterbob View Post
    It's raining and cold today so maybe my brain is slow, but does this mean that I can use my iPad to open a remote desktop session of my PC and do everything on my iPad that I can do on my real PC? Could I open Firefox and browse my bookmarks. Can I open any Desktop application and use the application? What about security - I have my banking info and other personal info on my PC. Would using this app comprise the private info on my PC when I was using the iPad as a remote PC?
    There are several remote apps; like db85 I use Splashtop and like it a lot. To answer your questions:

    yes, you could create a remote session and run your pc from your iPad, like run Firefox or other broswers (I used IE to watch last night's "How I Met Your Mother" ep this morning, for example).

    You can run any desktop application, but not all remote apps stream all data - some have trouble with Java, some with Flash. I have run the entire Office suite on my iPad (just finished my team's annual performance reviews).

    Security-wise: you can password protect your connection, so that someone can't use your iPad to access your pc without knowing your password. I have Splashtop set to not ask for a password when I'm using it at home, but demand one when I'm trying to access away from home. Since it's a 17-digit mix of numbers and letters I'd say it's pretty secure.
    You had your entire life to prepare for today.

  7. #6
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    19362
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    135
    Great thread. Thanks for all the good info.
    it's all good - mostly

  8. #7
    iPad Guru
    Member #
    1284
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by epb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boaterbob View Post
    It's raining and cold today so maybe my brain is slow, but does this mean that I can use my iPad to open a remote desktop session of my PC and do everything on my iPad that I can do on my real PC? Could I open Firefox and browse my bookmarks. Can I open any Desktop application and use the application? What about security - I have my banking info and other personal info on my PC. Would using this app comprise the private info on my PC when I was using the iPad as a remote PC?
    There are several remote apps; like db85 I use Splashtop and like it a lot. To answer your questions:

    yes, you could create a remote session and run your pc from your iPad, like run Firefox or other broswers (I used IE to watch last night's "How I Met Your Mother" ep this morning, for example).

    You can run any desktop application, but not all remote apps stream all data - some have trouble with Java, some with Flash. I have run the entire Office suite on my iPad (just finished my team's annual performance reviews).

    Security-wise: you can password protect your connection, so that someone can't use your iPad to access your pc without knowing your password. I have Splashtop set to not ask for a password when I'm using it at home, but demand one when I'm trying to access away from home. Since it's a 17-digit mix of numbers and letters I'd say it's pretty secure.
    Splashtop remote is the only one I use and the only one I would recommend. It does everything. It is also the only one I've seen that can run 3D graphics no problem. The only thing it can't run is full screen apps that have independent resolution settings. So if you have any apps that default to full screen you will have to tell it to be windowed to run it.

    Unfortunately special keys (function, ctrl, cmd) don't work....but thats more the fault of the iPad and not the app. Also, while it is fast enough to run 3D games there is no way to control them since for some reason it refused to take held input commands for anything except typing text.

    Also, if you run plex, audio doesn't work (I know there is an app, but I really hate it.....it is def an iPhone app stretched to an iPad form....they should have just made the desktop version for iPad!!).

    Splashtop price varies between 99¢ and $3...and it is well worth the $30 I paid for worthless iTeleport!

  9. #8
    iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    3319
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    399
    Jump Desktop is the one I like. It supports both RDP and VNC so you can connect to a Mac or a PC from the same program. It supports left handed users and has a method that allows you to move the mouse pointer without hiding it under your finger.

    And if you use XP, Vista or Windows 7 Pro editions you don't even have to load any special software on the PC.

  10. #9
    iPad Guru
    Member #
    1284
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by USBill View Post
    Jump Desktop is the one I like. It supports both RDP and VNC so you can connect to a Mac or a PC from the same program. It supports left handed users and has a method that allows you to move the mouse pointer without hiding it under your finger.

    And if you use XP, Vista or Windows 7 Pro editions you don't even have to load any special software on the PC.
    Splashtop works on both PC and Mac as well.

  11. #10
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    7505
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27
    So I'm still a little confused - does my PC need to be on to use this type application - it would seem so. So I decide to go on vacation for a week - do I need to leave my PC on while I'm away in order to view my Desktop on my iPad. Dollars to donuts that Windows will freeze/crash while I'm away - them I'm SOL right?


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Need to remote control my Ipad from my desktop
    By MarcusCC in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 01:15 PM
  2. What is the best remote desktop for iPad?
    By MobileSpoon in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM
  3. best remote desktop to control Mac desktop
    By skibum in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM
  4. Remote desktop on iPad...
    By Molly in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM
  5. Flash on your iPad and a great remote desktop app
    By pallentx in forum iPad Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Search tags for this page

ipad remote desktop over wifi
,
ipad remote desktop wifi
,

rdesktop app

,
rdesktop faster
,

rdesktop ipad

,
rdesktop ipad app
,
remote desktop over wifi ipad
,
wifi remote desktop ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.