I've seen a lot of questions and some answers on how to best get videos and DVDs onto iPad.
While this isn't a definitive answer, I find these 2 pieces of software and the processed describe below help me to get any video/DVD I want onto the iPad with a minimum of fuss and trouble.
I hope this guide helps.
For putting movies, TV shows, any kind of video on my iPad, here's what I do.
I use 2 different programs depending on what type of video I'm dealing with.
If it's a video on a DVD, I use Daniusoft's DVD to iPad Converter.
If it's a video from another source, then I use Format Factory.
I'm sure each one of these programs can convert any type of video as the other one can, but I found out about these programs at separate times at different stages of what I was trying to do. The procedures for each kind of video with each program work, so I didn't want to change my methods.
Below are the steps I follow for each piece of software:
- Open the program.
- Under the "Video" tab, select "All to Mobile Device"
- Another window opens up. In that window, select "HD AVC(H264)"
- Select any of the MP4 HD presets and make the modifications below
- Make sure your output settings are setup like this:
6. Save the Video Setting as iPad and press "OK" This should create a new option under the "Video" section named "All to Custom. This is what you'll select when doing future conversions to load the ideal iPad output settings.
- Type = MP4
- Use System Decoder = Off
- Video Encode = AVC(H264)
- Video Size = Default
- Bitrate = 2400
- FPS = 24
- Aspect Ratio = Automatic
- Encode 2 Pass = No
- Audio Encode = AAC
- Sample Rate = 44100
- Bitrate = 128
- Audio Channel = 2
- Disable Audio = No
- Volume Control = 0dB - Although I guess you could change it if your audio is too low.
- Audio Stream Index = Default
- I don't mess with any of the other expandable options below this point.
7. In the "All to Custom" window, select "Add File"
8. Navigate to where your video is saved and select it.
9. At the bottom of the "All to Custom" window, you can set the
destination of the new video file.
10. Then, the "OK" button becomes available, click it.
11. In the original program window, you'll see your video file appear.
12. Click on "Start" and the conversion process will begin.
13. When it's finished, add the converted file to iTunes and then you can
sync it onto your iPad and watch it.
DANIUSOFT DVD to iPAD CONVERTER
- Put the DVD you wish to convert into your PC's drive.
- Open the Daniusoft DVD to iPad Converter.
- Click on the "Load DVD" button in the upper left.
- Navigate to where your DVD is. CLick "ok"
- A new window comes up asking you to "Select DVD loading mode"
- Make sure "Common mode" is selected. Click "ok"
- The program will then load the DVD's file structure.
- The main screen will show the different titles that are available on the DVD.
- You can select and preview each one in the preview window.
- Select the title you want to convert. For movies, it's usually going to be the title with the longest length or running time.
- At the bottom, make sure the "iPad" output profile is selected.
- You can also select where the converted file will be saved.
- When you're ready, click on the large "Start" button in the bottom right-hand corner.
- The program will then begin the conversion process.
- When it's finished, add the converted file to iTunes and then it's available to be synced onto your iPad for your viewing pleasure.
- This program has taken every DVD I've thrown at it without need to rip it to the harddrive and break any encryption. Good program.
There are other programs and methods out there for doing the same thing and others swear by them. This works for me. I hope it helps some people.
If you have constructive feedback for me on these processes, I'd love to hear/read them.