Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Suggestion

This is a discussion on Suggestion within the iPad FAQ forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I believe that there is a need for a sticky for how one can change ownership of an iPad. I, for one, don't know how ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Suggestion

  1. #1
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    10519
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    108

    Suggestion

    I believe that there is a need for a sticky for how one can change ownership of an iPad. I, for one, don't know how this is done and I'm sure that as folks buy the 2 this question will reoccur. I called Apple and their robot kept sending me to tech support where all they wanted to do was sell me their protection plan. I plan on buying the 2 and giving the 1 to my grown daughter.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    Probably the easiest way is during a sync operation, where you have the option to remove everything from the iPad. twerppoet, our resident iTunes sync genius, has posted about doing this previously, so I hope he reads this and can give you explicit instructions. I'm not clever enough to work out how to use iTunes on my PC - or too scared!!

    Tim
    Scotland

  4. #3
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    10519
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim SPRACKLEN View Post
    Probably the easiest way is during a sync operation, where you have the option to remove everything from the iPad. twerppoet, our resident iTunes sync genius, has posted about doing this previously, so I hope he reads this and can give you explicit instructions. I'm not clever enough to work out how to use iTunes on my PC - or too scared!!
    Using iTunes to restore the iPad does not remove the registration info. I went by the Apple store today and asked them and I received three different answers.

    The first person suggested I do what you suggested and he said the iPad would still be registered in my name. I asked what if I sold it to a stranger and didn't want it to continue to be registered in my name? He didn't know, but we went and asked at the Genius Bar and the "Genius" said, "Apple Care" and walked away. I have to buy Apple Care just to change registration???

    The third person said, "Do it through your computer" and couldn't tell me much more than that.

    So much for Apple Customer no Service.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    2888
    Liked
    53 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    1,230
    It just so happens I was reading this thread, see link, from twertpoet. Not specifically address your problem, but it might give you a hint:

    Upgrading iPad

  6. #5
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    10519
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by MattIM View Post
    It just so happens I was reading this thread, see link, from twertpoet. Not specifically address your problem, but it might give you a hint:

    Upgrading iPad
    I have already done a backup and restore for other issues and that does NOT unregister the device. You can do backup and restore multiple times and you still won't have to register the device each time.

    Thanks for the reply.

  7. #6
    iPad Guru
    Member #
    30446
    Liked
    12 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Outside my iPad, or was it inside?
    Posts
    3,196
    In order to register/reregister a device, the new owner has to do one of the following, all of which involve contacting Apple:

    -visit an Apple Store
    -call Apple
    -go to register.apple.com sign in with their Apple ID and then add the device with serial number to their account

  8. #7
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    38133
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winter Park & Denver, CO
    Posts
    48
    You change "ownership" by giving or selling it to someone. Apple doesn't care who owns it.

    Plus if you read below, if you change registration or owner information through Apple, you end the warranty. It's only good for the original end-user. So all you do is end her warranty if you change it. If you want to do her a solid, buy the Apple Care warranty extension and give her that with the iPad.

    WARRANTY. Apple’s warranty obligations for this hardware product are limited to the terms set
    forth herein. Apple, as defined in the table below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product
    against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR
    from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”).

  9. #8
    iPad Guru
    Member #
    30446
    Liked
    12 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Outside my iPad, or was it inside?
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorsteve
    You change "ownership" by giving or selling it to someone. Apple doesn't care who owns it.

    Plus if you read below, if you change registration or owner information through Apple, you end the warranty. It's only good for the original end-user. So all you do is end her warranty if you change it. If you want to do her a solid, buy the Apple Care warranty extension and give her that with the iPad.

    WARRANTY. Apple’s warranty obligations for this hardware product are limited to the terms set
    forth herein. Apple, as defined in the table below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product
    against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR
    from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”).
    That is not correct.

    From the Apple FAQ:

    Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?
    Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan.

    http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

  10. #9
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    38133
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winter Park & Denver, CO
    Posts
    48
    [quote=DontUnderstandMyIpad;145072]
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorsteve
    Please read my entire post before you contradict. I said (and showed) the Apple "warranty" which is for original end-user ONLY. Then I told him to do her a favor and buy the Apple Care which would cover her.
    Last edited by pastorsteve; 03-12-2011 at 02:52 PM.


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. iPadForum app suggestion
    By gmanni in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 08:40 AM
  2. Any faster suggestion?
    By j0yful in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 09:58 AM
  3. Word Processing suggestion
    By crimlaw in forum iPad Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Search tags for this page

can you change a serial number on a ipad
,
can you change ipad serial number
,
can you change serial number on i pad
,

can you change the serial number on an ipad

,
how to change ipad registration for resale
,
how to unregister an ipad
,

how to unregister ipad

,
how to unregister ipad for resale
Click on a term to search for related topics.