Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

VERIZON or AT&T

This is a discussion on VERIZON or AT&T within the iPad Carriers forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Got a new iPad 2. I live in Westchester County NY. I have a Verizon iPad but frankly wonder if if should have gone with ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: VERIZON or AT&T

  1. #1
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    57719
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    VERIZON or AT&T

    Got a new iPad 2. I live in Westchester County NY. I have a Verizon iPad but frankly wonder if if should have gone with AT&T.

    I don't really care about intl. coverage. I have to decide by this Saturday if I want to exchange.

    Which is the better carrier for coverage and reliability?

    Thanks!!

    Bob

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    7489
    Liked
    132 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    14,940
    Welcome, Bob, from Cali! I bumped your thread to our Carrier Section ~ you might get quicker responses.
    Marie ~


    64GB WiFi/3G iPad1 ~ JB with jailbreakme.com ~



    Forum Rules. Please Read.

    appleforums.net

  4. #3
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Do you have a crummy connection and slow speeds, or are you just randomly wondering?

    Wherever you use your iPad most, ask iPad users nearby. Coverage maps and random iPad owners all over the country and world on this forum won't know coverage where you are. Even in specific cities, coverage can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, street to street, at times.

  5. #4
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    58029
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    32
    Hey Bob, do you have an iPhone, and if so, how is the coverage with whatever carrier you have, also how is the coverage with whatever phone you have?

  6. #5
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by nymosis View Post
    Hey Bob, do you have an iPhone, and if so, how is the coverage with whatever carrier you have, also how is the coverage with whatever phone you have?
    The coverage between phone and data can vary greatly. In the three major metros that I spend the most time in on both coasts, my AT&T iPhone coverage sucks. Meanwhile, my AT&T iPad coverage is good. (If I didn't use my phone heavily overseas, I would ditch the AT&T iPhone.)

    Basically, data coverage and phone coverage aren't on par, even from the same carrier.

  7. #6
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    58029
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay View Post
    The coverage between phone and data can vary greatly. In the three major metros that I spend the most time in on both coasts, my AT&T iPhone coverage sucks. Meanwhile, my AT&T iPad coverage is good. (If I didn't use my phone heavily overseas, I would ditch the AT&T iPhone.)

    Basically, data coverage and phone coverage aren't on par, even from the same carrier.
    Huh, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I've personally found that the data and phone coverages are pretty on par, I mean it's the same 3G hardware and if your signal strength is the same, there's really no reason why you shouldn't be getting very similar service.

    I don't think I've ever seen a difference in more than 1 bar between my phone and iPad.

  8. #7
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    57045
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    48
    or you could take the wifi only route if you have a phone with hot spot capabilities. I wasn't giving Verizon another contract so I just got a Droid Charge and the 4G hot spot is blazing fast with the iPad. Even 3G is ok but 4G is just insane. Not trying to hijack the thread just throwing out another option.

  9. #8
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by nymosis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay View Post
    The coverage between phone and data can vary greatly. In the three major metros that I spend the most time in on both coasts, my AT&T iPhone coverage sucks. Meanwhile, my AT&T iPad coverage is good. (If I didn't use my phone heavily overseas, I would ditch the AT&T iPhone.)

    Basically, data coverage and phone coverage aren't on par, even from the same carrier.
    Huh, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I've personally found that the data and phone coverages are pretty on par, I mean it's the same 3G hardware and if your signal strength is the same, there's really no reason why you shouldn't be getting very similar service.

    I don't think I've ever seen a difference in more than 1 bar between my phone and iPad.
    I don't bother looking at bars. All I need is to know how many of my calls get dropped on iPhone in the same cities where my iPad 3G connection works fine.

    Like I said, depends on where you live / use you gadgets most. Your experience doesn't reflect mine, because our locations are different.
    Last edited by Kaykaykay; 05-25-2011 at 12:12 AM.

  10. #9
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    51269
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120
    I agree that the 'bars' analog indicator is nearly meaningless. What I use as an indicator is whether the device is in 3G or 1x or no signal at all. I live in a Boston suburb and work in Boston. I have a work-issued Blackberry on AT&T and a bunch of devices on Verizon. There is no meaningful difference overall - both have large coverage gaps in the areas outside downtown Boston where I spend a lot of time. Coverage, like politics and real estate, is inherently local.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nymosis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay View Post
    The coverage between phone and data can vary greatly. In the three major metros that I spend the most time in on both coasts, my AT&T iPhone coverage sucks. Meanwhile, my AT&T iPad coverage is good. (If I didn't use my phone heavily overseas, I would ditch the AT&T iPhone.)

    Basically, data coverage and phone coverage aren't on par, even from the same carrier.
    Huh, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I've personally found that the data and phone coverages are pretty on par, I mean it's the same 3G hardware and if your signal strength is the same, there's really no reason why you shouldn't be getting very similar service.

    I don't think I've ever seen a difference in more than 1 bar between my phone and iPad.
    I don't bother looking at bars. All I need is to know how many of my calls get dropped on iPhone in the same cities where my iPad 3G connection works fine.

    Like I said, depends on where you live / use you gadgets most. Your experience doesn't reflect mine, because our locations are different.


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. ATT or Verizon??
    By Marty in forum iPad Carriers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
  2. So Verizon is better than AT&T?
    By SweetPoison in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM
  3. Verizon 3G?
    By Carey in forum iPad Carriers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
  4. I can Wi-Fi Verizon...
    By Wetstuff in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
  5. Verizon is better than AT&T, again
    By Matth3w in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Search tags for this page

apple ipad at&t vs verizon

,

at&t coverage westchester

,
at&t or verizon in westchester
,

ipad 2 verizon vs at&t new york

,

ipad verizon vs at&t coverage

,

is at&t or verizon better for the ipad 3 in westchester new york

,

verizon or at&t in westchester ny

,
verizon vs at&t in westcher county
,

verizon vs att ipad in ny

,
verizonn att westchester
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread