This is a discussion on Mind Mapping anyone? within the iPad Apps forums, part of the iPad App Store category; Originally Posted by pik0 Ya know, I checked out Mindo when I started this effort a month ago. At the time, they had terrible reviews. ...
I give Buzan credit for reinventing the wheel and marketing it to make a profit.
Great question, Piko.
Here are three major reasons:
1. Even with widespread use of mind mapping in business, most students have never heard of mind mapping.
2. Once they hear about mind mapping, they don't know how to apply it to school (no systematic method). Note: this has changed now with publication of Concise Learning book (also available as an iBook ).
3. The paper & pen note taking habit is hard to break because students have been trained to copy notes throughout their school years. With mind mapping, students can transition from copying notes to thinking during lectures, a big change that requires a major habit change.
Reinventing the wheel? Have you read his book? He makes it pretty clear that all the great minds in human history have been doing this for a long time. The only difference is, he attempted to codify their technique.
I don't begrudge him for making money helping people.
2. Yeah, it's a travesty that when I went to school, I was never taught how to study. Would have been nice to have at least had Concise Learning around (although it appears to be a new book as of this year).
3. Excellent point here. In fact I've been pinging many middle level managers on this very topic in relation to their employees and their abilities to complete tasks and projects. The end result is, they have all asked me to prepare a course to conduct in their office to teach the basics of mind mapping and how to apply this technique to their daily lives.
And what, do you suppose am I using to develop the course? Why, mind mapping, of course, and on the iPad no less.
iThoughtsHD - just downloaded, really pleased with the functionality of it, seems pretty easy to navigate round
iPhone 32GB 3GS & iPad 32GB 3G - a matching pair!
I use iThoughts HD and like it quite a bit, I just got MindNode Pro for the Mac as part of the Mac Update bundle and will see if they will work together, if not I can always get MindNode's iPad app.