Way back on my Palm IIIx, I had a great list/todo app that was exactly what I wanted. Since then, I haven't found anything that had that perfect mix of features - I'm hoping such an app exists on the iPad!
Unfortunately, a lot of the app web pages seem to focus on their "fancier" features instead of the really basic things I'm looking for, so it's hard to figure out if any really are what I want. So if you have used any kind of listmaking or to do app that has all of these, please let me know!
These are in order of importance to me:
- Nested lists that can be nested as far down as you want, collapsed and expanded, etc.
- Easy to drag-and-drop to move items around or between lists, and easy editing of items
- Can choose (by list or by item) between deleting an item as you check it off, or leaving it there but checked
- Can create "repeating" lists - even though you've checked it all off, it will pop back up again next week (for repeated cleaning tasks, etc)
- Can choose items from a longer list to make a shorter list (ie, make a list of all the grocery items you ever buy and can choose from those for this week's grocery run)
- It would be great if it took stylus input, but I know that's a harder one to find. Handwriting recognition would be awesome, but even rarer (man I miss graffiti) - I'd even take being able to write an item and have it just put an image of what I wrote as a to do/list item, even if I'd have to rewrite it to edit it. This is lowest priority, though, since I'm not sure ANYTHING exists to do this (in addition to the things above).
Fancy stuff beyond that (calendars, day planners, tagging, etc) I don't care about right now - maybe someday I'll get fancier, but right now I just want to make and edit lists, and not pay for a dozen different apps that aren't what I want.