Best video player apps for ipad
This is a discussion on Best video player apps for ipad within the iPad Apps forums, part of the iPad App Store category; Originally Posted by itpad
AV player HD gives really good results for 720p video
However, there is an youtube video about EC player vs AV ...
It depends on the format you're trying to play back.
Originally Posted by itpad
H.264(!) 1080p MKV's will play better on the EC Player. Everything else (WMV, ASP etc.) on AVPlayerHD.
For example, check out the WMV playback bible at iPhone Life (I can't post a direct link; Google for "Playing Back WMV Videos – the Complete(!) Roundup" and follow the first link). It also states AVPlayerHD is way better than EC Player for that, while also stating the latter should be preferred to play back H.264 1080p MKV's.
05-14-2012 10:13 AM
It's pretty bad and should be avoided. The WMV playback bible I've just mentioned doesn't recommend it either.
At MacRumors (Google for ".AVI on iPad 2" to find the thread), I've posted an extensive "cons" list of the player. Let me cite it entirely (note that it's written as an answer to a guy that just laughed at people claling VLC bad (and, then, after showing him the list below, he just stated he didn't have the time to argue - pretty bad excuse...); therefore, it's a bit personal):
"- does VLC support the iPad 3 Retina screen, as does almost all the other players, including AVPlayerHD, GoodPlayer and ALL the other, high-end ones? Of course not.
- does it have camera roll access, as does ReplayerHD Pro, PlugPlayer, Play Any Video Format - PlayerX HD, XBMC, RushPlayer+ etc? Of course not.
- does it have ANY support for ANY kind of embedded subtitle in any kind of a video file? Of course not.
- Does it have the highly useful audio boost, as does several apps like GoodPlayer or It's Playing, the latter even in HW decode mode? Of course not.
- Saturation / brightness / contrast change? Speed change (slow/fast playback, with several players, even in hardware-decoded mode)? Fine-tuned scrubbing? Does it show the target frame while scrubbing? Heck, not, not even the timestamp! App password? Moving videos from iTunes dir away? Media list sorting? Folder support? Audio playback in background? Bookmarks? Access to local Music / Videos library? Quick filename search? Playlists? HDMI / VGA output? Multiple audio tracks in ANY kind of video formats? You guessed: NOPE! While the best players (GoodPlayer, AVPlayerHD, XBMC) support at least 80-90% of these.
- Heck, can you even change the aspect ratio of the video, or, can you zoom in, as you can in stock Videos? Nope, not even that.
- Does it support hardware playback with MOV / M4V / MP4 files? Of course not. FLAC, WMA, OGA, WAV, WavPack, Ape Monkey? Not one of them, while most other video(!) players happily play at least part of these formats (and for example XBMC every single of them, even lossless / 24 bit WMA's.)
What about the 1080p MSMPEG4 results? (A video format comparatively simple to decode, at least compared to AVCHD.) Awful. The same stands for OGG Vorbis streams. And, of course, H.264 AVCHD.
You don't believe me when it comes to H.264 AVCHD "quality" well demonstrating the "speed" of the decoder? Well, just check out ..."
Sorry, can't continue as there was a link there... hope you find the original, full post. Nevertheless, the part I've copied already has some valuable info.
ah, Menneisyys . Have you started writing IOS guides instead of Windows mobile? Welcome.
Thanks Had to switch - after all, WM is dead and I love my iPads
I'd advise against FlexPlayer - it's pretty weak.
Originally Posted by yusufjee
Several apps support volume boosting: TTPlayerHD, PlayerXtreme (this title has a pretty bad boosting algorithm though), BUZZ Player HD, eXPlayer HD, GoodPlayer, XBMC and "It's Playing".
Originally Posted by yusufjee
Of the bunch, I recommend GoodPlayer for software-based decoding (everything BUT mov / m4v / mp4 files) and the next version (the, in the AppStore, currently available one is pretty crappy) of "It's Playing" for hardware (mov / m4v / mp4 files) decoding. Or, of course, XBMC for both kind of playback - but, of course, it only works on jailbroken devices, "thanks" to Apple.
Just keep in mind that
Originally Posted by cidd
- OPlayer is especially weak at playing back any kind of WMV3 (WMV1/WMV2 are OK) or MPEG-2 TS (aka DVB) files
- its H.264 decoder is definitely weaker than that of AVPlayerHD at 1080p
- it has no nice features liek audio (volume boost, reverb etc.) or video (brightness, contast, saturation etc.) DSP's
- its 1080p60 MTS support is def. weaker than the best of the bunch
Also note that you must enable hardware MP4/M4V/MOV playback (it's disabled by default, enable at: Settings / Plugin / Use QuickTime)
On another note, it has a very good MSMPEG4 and OGG Vorbis video decoder.
Let me chime in a bit. I've found it a bit on the average side.
Originally Posted by nanolake
- It has no outstanding features except for hue changing (during SW playback only) not found in any other player.
- its codecs are not as good as those of the best players (GoodPlayer, AVPlayerHD)
- its MPEG 2 TS is particularly bad
- it has absolutely no non-HTTP network share support (its built-in browser is nice, though)
- in hardware MOV / MP4 / M4V playback mode, it offers no access to the audio / subtitle tracks
- no audio DSP's (incl. audio boosting)
- no special zoom modes (e.g., vertical stretching)
- poor support for embedded subs in MKV files (and no ASS support at all)
All in all, I don't recommend it. Get something better.
Sorry for (again) being a courier of bad news, but I myself don't recommend PlayerXtreme at all. Why?
Originally Posted by sherax
- absolutely no support for MP4 (mov / m4v) subtitle / multiple audio tracks
- its audio boost functionality (a $1 IAP itself) is very bad and doesn't come even close to the quality of that of GoodPlayer. The sound becomes highly distorted when you enable it, unlike with GoodPlayer. Do NOT purchase / use it!
- its networking support (another $1 IAP) is completely buggy and non-working. With UPnP / SMB network sources where GoodPlayer (and a lot more, network-aware apps) worked just fine, it refused to stream or even load the filelist. (This problem was, by the way, mentioned by a lot other users as well in the AppStore.)
- its H.264 AVC software decoder is far inferior to even the average ones (e.g., that of GoodPlayer) in 1080p, let alone the best ones (most importantly, AVPlayerHD). At 720p, it doesn't even come close to the majority of other titles. Unfortunately, its MSMPEG4 decoder (see the Big Buck Bunny 1080p AVI test) is also VERY bad. The WMV decoders are somewhat better but are still not in the same league as, in this respect, the best players.
(I've, of course, published a full review of the app.)
Most streaming (vs. pre-downloading)-capable multimedia players refrain from cluttering up your Documents directory with strictly streamed content.
Originally Posted by Ampress
Of the bunch, I recommend GoodPlayer for mp4/mov/m4v files unless you're streaming them from Samba (SMB) shares. If you do use the latter, use eXPlayer HD by Zhigang Chen ( eXPlayer HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store ) instead, as it supports hardware decoding over these connections (unlike all the other players).
For AVI files, which, generally, have MSMPEG4 codec in them, the preferred player depends on the resolution. 1080p? Forget GoodPlayer. 720p? GoodPlayer will be fine.
For 1080p playback, you'll want to use something else. Unfortunately, the player that has the best MSMPEG4 (and H.264, and VC-1 / WMV) decoder, AVPlayerHD by EPLAYWORKS.Co.Ltd. ( AVPlayerHD for iPad on the iTunes App Store ), only supports FTP access and not even streaming over it. That is, it's completely insufficient for your needs.
Finally, as usual, you should also consider going the jailbreak + XBMC way. Then, you won't have any problems – everything just works.
I'd clearly stay away from 8player. It's a mediocre player with pretty bad software decoders and lack of features. Go for something better.
Originally Posted by Cybershaolin
By jodell23 in forum iPad Help
Last Post: 08-24-2012, 02:10 AM
By T-Time3 in forum iPad Apps
Last Post: 08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
By dave3210 in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 12-11-2010, 12:45 PM
By bored2426 in forum iPad Apps
Last Post: 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
By RMSko in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 11-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Search tags for this page
best ipad video player
best video player for ipad
best video player ipad
ipad mkv player
ipad movie player
ipad video player
video player for ipad
video player ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Tags for this Thread