Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Price of iPad Apps vs Android

This is a discussion on Price of iPad Apps vs Android within the iPad Apps forums, part of the iPad App Store category; Let me preface this by saying I think all developers should be entitled to make money off their work. It's only fair, and I think ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    17954
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    878

    Price of iPad Apps vs Android

    Let me preface this by saying I think all developers should be entitled to make money off their work. It's only fair, and I think we should pay for our apps.

    I have an app on my Mac that I think I paid around 30-40 dollars or so called 1Password. It's a very nice password keeper and all you need is one click to get to a site that is pw protected after you've entered the master password.

    About 2 months ago or so this same app became available on Android. It was free. Took a few steps but I got it synced to my mac and I had all my passwords on my Droid 2. Nice.

    Yesterday somehow I caught wind that it was also on iPad so this morning I went to install. Then I saw the price. $9.95 for the regular for iPad and $14.95 for the "HD" which I think is a term that means donate more dollars.

    People in the Android world think that the Devs should be happy to do this for everyone and at no charge. They complain about a $5.00 app, let alone a $15.00 one.

    My point I'm getting at is I'd like to know why apps freely distributed in Android cost so much over here in the Apple world. Again, I want the devs to get their dollars, but isn't this kind of extreme?

    BTW I paid for the $14.95 dollar app. Either these devs need to start charging more on Android (unlikely) or the price needs to go down in the App Store.

    And please forgive me if this has been a topic of discussion many times, I admit I didn't search. I'm kind of letting off some steam.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    14887
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    626
    This is just a guess, so it is probably wrong.

    Android has supported in-app advertising for some time now. If you look at an app like Angry Birds which is free on the Android platform, in-app advertising is used (through AdMod maybe?). My understanding is that this wasn't available in iOS until the last OS (4.x) update. Now we have iAds which should support a similar advertising scheme. I guess it remains to be seen as to whether we start seeing more free (ad supported) apps on the iOS platform.

  4. #3
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    17954
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    878
    I have Angry Birds on my Droid. I hadn't noticed before so I opened it up and played a round. No advertising. Not at the opening, during or closing of the game.

    I began to question if I had paid for 1Password or not. I keep all those receipts and the only thing I have is a discussion with the dev about how to use the app with the Droid. There is no advertising on that either, and I remember thinking that it was probably a perk that went along with purchasing 1Password for the Mac.

    Now the design of the app on iPad vs Android there is no question that it looks better on the iPad. I just wonder how much of this money the dev sees and how much Apple takes?

  5. #4
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    13577
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    918
    It's not just droid apps Vs iPad apps. How about iPhone Vs iPad too!

    I am beginning to find it sickening that apps are often priced considerably higher for iPad versions. Now you might say well the screen is bigger but since many games these days have retina support for iPhone 4 the difference is not THAT huge. Yet they will charge sometimes double the price for the iPad... and actually force me to buy the app twice. Yes Angry Birds is one of them.

    Meanwhile other developers let you buy the app just once and it will work on both iPad and iPhone--changing appearance as needed. More and more I am supporting those kinds of developers. An, IMO good, example is Pocket Legends. One purchase, works on both iPad and iPhone--yes differently. Better yet my game is the same on both. So whatever progress I make on iPhone is also on iPad, and vice versa.

    Meanwhile Angry Birds.... I have two separate games and two separate saves. Ugh. And that game plays virtually the same on both iPad and iPhone. It's just bigger on iPad.



    Michael

  6. #5
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    14887
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I have Angry Birds on my Droid. I hadn't noticed before so I opened it up and played a round. No advertising. Not at the opening, during or closing of the game.
    I'll have to check on my wife's Droid when I get home. I swear I saw some advertising in the app, but then again I have an active imagination.

  7. #6
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    22887
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    49
    Ive noticed the price changes as well. I own an EVO, but purchased an Ipad yesterday. I was shocked at the price difference from Android to Apple apps. In no way, shape, or form am I trying to make this a Android vs. Apple thread, but productivity and game apps are insane pricing in the app store. For the free games/apps I have on my EVO, I had to pay $42.00 on in the app store. That is nutzo boo boo. I will definitely have to limit my spending in the app store and see if I can find apps that are similar without the price tag.

  8. #7
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    17954
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    It's not just droid apps Vs iPad apps. How about iPhone Vs iPad too!

    I am beginning to find it sickening that apps are often priced considerably higher for iPad versions. Now you might say well the screen is bigger but since many games these days have retina support for iPhone 4 the difference is not THAT huge. Yet they will charge sometimes double the price for the iPad... and actually force me to buy the app twice. Yes Angry Birds is one of them.

    Meanwhile other developers let you buy the app just once and it will work on both iPad and iPhone--changing appearance as needed. More and more I am supporting those kinds of developers. An, IMO good, example is Pocket Legends. One purchase, works on both iPad and iPhone--yes differently. Better yet my game is the same on both. So whatever progress I make on iPhone is also on iPad, and vice versa.

    Meanwhile Angry Birds.... I have two separate games and two separate saves. Ugh. And that game plays virtually the same on both iPad and iPhone. It's just bigger on iPad.



    Michael
    I'm trying to think this out: You've got one Apple Store account so if you purchase a device on that account and you were to change devices, like going from an iPhone 3 to iPhone 4 that device would follow your iPhone, correct. But the iPad, even though it hooks up through iTunes the same way requires a separate app.

    I just checked with a friend who has the Samsung Galaxy Tab and he did not have to repurchase apps. They came with his Google account. So the apps he has on his Droid X are also on his Tablet.

    If Google is doing it Apple should too. This doesn't seem like smart business to me. lol, I mean if you are truly competing. Apple must think they have an iron glove on this market.

  9. #8
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    14887
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

    I'm trying to think this out: You've got one Apple Store account so if you purchase a device on that account and you were to change devices, like going from an iPhone 3 to iPhone 4 that device would follow your iPhone, correct. But the iPad, even though it hooks up through iTunes the same way requires a separate app.

    I just checked with a friend who has the Samsung Galaxy Tab and he did not have to repurchase apps. They came with his Google account. So the apps he has on his Droid X are also on his Tablet.

    If Google is doing it Apple should too. This doesn't seem like smart business to me. lol, I mean if you are truly competing. Apple must think they have an iron glove on this market.
    I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. If you purchase an app for your iPhone you can certainly put that exact same app on your iPad, no extra fees are incurred. What has happened however is that developers have in many cases also created "HD" or iPad only versions of their apps. Unless an app is released as universal, these new iPad versions are actually listed as different apps in the app store. When this happens, you don't own the iPad app if you only purchased the iPhone version.

    I don't mind repaying if a developer has reworked their app to really take advantage of the larger screen size of the iPad. Unfortunately, many "HD" apps simply have the graphics updated to display at full resolution on the iPad without bringing anything else new, yet they still charge 5x the price.
    Last edited by DaveSt; 12-01-2010 at 02:07 PM.

  10. #9
    iPad Master!
    Member #
    1474
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Marietta, GA - USA
    Posts
    738

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSt View Post
    This is just a guess, so it is probably wrong.

    Android has supported in-app advertising for some time now. If you look at an app like Angry Birds which is free on the Android platform, in-app advertising is used (through AdMod maybe?). My understanding is that this wasn't available in iOS until the last OS (4.x) update. Now we have iAds which should support a similar advertising scheme. I guess it remains to be seen as to whether we start seeing more free (ad supported) apps on the iOS platform.
    It is impossible to have a paid app on Android that can not be pirated and given away for free.

    There is simply no way to prevent it.

    Very few pay for any Android apps when it is simpler to steal them and save their money for a cold beer.

    Therefore the developers try to recover funds for their efforts from advertising and allowing free downloads.

    The Apple iOS crowd generally does not care for advertising and is willing to actually pay the developers for good apps.

    I would never play Angry Birds if I was subject to advertising.

    PERIOD

    If an iPad app has obnoxious advertising I generally delete it PDQ.

    Whoops I see the original poster was a troll.
    I normally do not respond to mentally defective people who are trolls.

    But since I took the time to add to this thread may it be noted the troll return with more bad information.

    Apple allows you to put apps on up to five devices for one account. Android does not have any tablet apps PERIOD.
    Those Android CRAPs are based on an Android phone form factor.
    That is the same as running an iPhone app on the iPad. It can be done but it is not an optimal experience.

    Are there true Tablet apps in the Android market - nope not this year!

    Google does not allow that as they do not want Android even on a tablet in its current incarnation.
    Last edited by 4phun; 12-01-2010 at 02:47 PM.

  11. #10
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    17954
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

    It is impossible to have a paid app on Android that can not be pirated and given away for free.

    There is simply no way to prevent it.

    Very few pay for any Android apps when it is simpler to steal them and save their money for a cold beer.

    Therefore the developers try to recover funds for their efforts from advertising and allowing free downloads.

    The Apple iOS crowd generally does not care for advertising and is willing to actually pay the developers for good apps.

    I would never play Angry Birds if I was subject to advertising.

    PERIOD

    If an iPad app has obnoxious advertising I generally delete it PDQ.
    Respectfully, I think your faith in human nature is a bit askew.

    I'm a moderator on an android forum, one with a membership over 125,000 people. Very clearly we stand on a principle of honesty. We don't allow paid apk files to be distributed in our forum. We also don't even allow beta test items to be distributed.

    Now I'm not saying there isn't a fair amount of people who do this, but it seems to me that if you understand how the Android community develops and works it's counter productive to steal .apk files.


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Is $87 a Proper Price for An iPad Wireless Keyboard?
    By Applefreak12 in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 09:20 PM
  2. Google removing apps right off users android phones.
    By MikesTooLz in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:46 PM
  3. iCame, iSaw, iPaid - iPad big on price, small on apps
    By col.bris in forum International iPad Users
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 01:34 AM
  4. an iPhone owner wanting the iPad, but the price...
    By DuluthMN in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
  5. iPad Price not set in stone or slate
    By iDan in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Search tags for this page

gogun android

,

gogun android tablet

,

gogun tablet

,
gogun tablet 7
,

gogun tablet pc

,
gogun tablet price
,

how much does angry birds cost on android

,
ipaid price
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread