Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Dropbox size increases ~ Why?

This is a discussion on Dropbox size increases ~ Why? within the iPad Apps forums, part of the iPad App Store category; I have noticed over the short period of using my first iPad that Dropbox has slowly been increasing in the size reported in Usage. Where ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dropbox size increases ~ Why?

  1. #1
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    272319
    Liked
    13 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    173

    Dropbox size increases ~ Why?

    I have noticed over the short period of using my first iPad that Dropbox has slowly been increasing in the size reported in Usage.
    Where I do not understand is how this increase is being met.
    I do not have any files associated with Dropbox Favourites.
    I do however open Dropbox files then transfer into the Kindle App for reading.

    Thinking it was here where Dropbox was increasing in it"s size I deleted the file in Kindle and had another look at the Usage stats.
    Whilst Kindle had reduced it's usage size Dropbox however had not.
    More weird was when I then told Dropbox to again open the same file in Kindle, after the transfer and back to Usage Kindle had increased proportionately but Dropbox had now increased for the second time..
    In other words Kindle first increased on transfer then reduced the size on deletion, finally increasing the size on the re-transfer.
    Dropbox however simply increased the Usage size twice. Once when I opened and transferred the first time and again when I transferred the second time.

    Any ideas on why Dropbox keeps increasing and more importantly how to reduce it's size?
    At this rate it won't be long before Dropbox becomes the main usage app on the iPad and ever increasing......
    .........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    275981
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6

    Dropbox size increases ~ Why?

    It's the app cache. If you delete the app, then re-install it the app size will shrink back to when you first got it. It will then slowly build itself back up as you open the app and use it. There may be a better way to do this, but this is the way I know.

  4. #3
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    272319
    Liked
    13 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
    It's the app cache. If you delete the app, then re-install it the app size will shrink back to when you first got it. It will then slowly build itself back up as you open the app and use it. There may be a better way to do this, but this is the way I know.
    Yes, I agree it is the cache increasing, just as it does in Android devices.
    The difference here though is with Android you can control the cache size whereas with iOS there does not appear to be any control other than wiping the App and reinstall, which to be truthful is not a very professional way in handling the usage.
    .........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    417 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,342
    It's not just Dropbox that does this. I have found several other apps that show this behavior. The most recent was FileExplorer. This one was reporting using a whopping 1.5 GB on my iPad though I had no files stored in its space. I finally wrote to the developer and learned that it has a temporary cache that you need to purge once in a while if you are moving large files around. Sounds like Dropbox needs to add a simular purge function and/or do better job at house cleaning. Another app I use, Pimp Your Screen, did the same thing. I had to delete and reinstall the app to get my space back. I wrote to the developer and they seem to have fixed the problem.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  6. #5
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    272319
    Liked
    13 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    It's not just Dropbox that does this. I have found several other apps that show this behavior. The most recent was FileExplorer. This one was reporting using a whopping 1.5 GB on my iPad though I had no files stored in its space. I finally wrote to the developer and learned that it has a temporary cache that you need to purge once in a while if you are moving large files around. Sounds like Dropbox needs to add a simular purge function and/or do better job at house cleaning. Another app I use, Pimp Your Screen, did the same thing. I had to delete and reinstall the app to get my space back. I wrote to the developer and they seem to have fixed the problem.
    Thanks..... I agree Dropbox is not alone in this particular problem but I'm not convinced the blame should entirely be cast at the App in question. It also convinces me that with iOS there is no easy way to handle the cache.
    With Android it is simple, when you hit clear cache within the App it goes to the place on the device where the cache is stored and clears said area.
    The same can be achieved using any one of the many cache cleaners available for Android.
    However with iOS it is different, where exactly would the cache area be stored? To prove this try searching for a cache cleaner in iOS.

    It does seem extreme that the only way to clear the cache is by uninstalling the app then reinstall.
    .........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    417 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,342
    FileExplorer has a button to clear its own cache, so it is not an iOS problem, its an app problem. Just because you can't see a cache cleaner in iOS doesn't mean it can't be done.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  8. #7
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    272319
    Liked
    13 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    173
    Okay, got that thanks..... However, surely iOS must share part of the blame otherwise we would have Cache Cleaner Apps available in the App Store?
    .........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    417 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Beards View Post
    Okay, got that thanks..... However, surely iOS must share part of the blame otherwise we would have Cache Cleaner Apps available in the App Store?
    You should not need Cache Cleaner apps. Apps should do their own housekeeping. Most of them do...as I mentioned, this used to be a problem in Pimp Your Screen....I wrote them, they fixed it. Those cleaners are there because some app developers aren't doing their jobs right.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  10. #9
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    272319
    Liked
    13 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield UK
    Posts
    173
    I have not seen any cache cleaning in any of the Apps I have so how it's cleared for mine is a mystery.
    Again in Android even if you do not install a dedicated cleaner you can drop into the device's settings where every single installed app has a Clear Cache button.

    I Admit there is a big difference between iOS and Android but as far as cleaning goes I definitely prefer Androids method.
    .........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    417 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Beards View Post
    I have not seen any cache cleaning in any of the Apps I have so how it's cleared for mine is a mystery.
    Again in Android even if you do not install a dedicated cleaner you can drop into the device's settings where every single installed app has a Clear Cache button.

    I Admit there is a big difference between iOS and Android but as far as cleaning goes I definitely prefer Androids method.
    It's fine for you to prefer Android's method, but why should a user have to worry about clearing a cache? That's the entire point of iOS...users are free from such issues. Programmers and apps developers are supposed to deal with such. Most apps don't have cache cleaners, but app developers who are active and trying to do a good job can definitely fix issues like these. That's why I write them to let them know when their app is going wonky.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 07:06 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 09:07 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 12:48 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Search tags for this page

clear dropbox cache ipad

,

clear dropbox cache iphone

,
delete dropbox cache ipad
,

how to clear dropbox cache on ipad

,

how to increase dropbox size

,

increase dropbox size

,
ipad dropbox clear cache
,

iphone dropbox clear cache

Click on a term to search for related topics.