Introducing myself, and what I want to know
I've just joined this forum because I'm about to write a book. I want to make it available in various electronic formats, including Apple iBook. I wasted a lot of time and effort corresponding with publishers - so I intend to self-publish, or distribute via smashwords.com, lulu.com, or similar.
This is my first time through the process. I have questions:-
1. Any advice, (or informative web links) about obtaining copyright? Particularly, copyright for the US, when obtained outside of the US?
2. I've seen that there is a new "exclusivity" clause with iBooks. ( Also, book price can't exceed $14.99 ) [This forum won't allow me to post a link corroborating that news - you'll have to Google it!]
I guess that rules out publishing to multiple formats, unless anyone knows a loop-hole? Or does this ONLY apply to "textbooks"? Or all content authored in iBook 2?
3. To get-around Apple's exclusivity clause, how different does the book have to be from similar books you publish on other marketplaces? A different ISBN, certainly. How about the content? If I change or add a couple of chapters or something - can I call it a different book?
4. Under Apple's new business model, do you still need a US tax code?
5. If I need it for self-publication, Is it possible for a non-US citizen ( not resident in the US ), to obtain a US tax code? (I actually have an offshore dollar account linked somehow to a "correspondent bank" in America - if this helps).
6. If I go with smashwords.com or lulu.com - how do they get around Apple's exclusivity clause???
7. It looks like if I go with smashwords.com or lulu.com, I can get around the US tax code anyway. How much profit do they actually skim off the top? Smashwords 85% NET is after Apple's 30%? yes? - so 59.5% of book price? So if my book is $14.99, I get $8.91 (.9). yes? With Lulu, I get $9.44.
8. Can I charge per-chapter? Ideally, I want to allow readers to download the book for free, with a few free and unlocked chapters as an enticement. Either they buy chapters individually - or the entire book, unlocking all chapters. Does Apple's framework allow me to do this?
9. Is it possible to attach custom coding to the book? Add interactive content that you write in Objective-C? This isn't necessarily essential - but it might be interesting if it was possible.
If I can't get around Apple's limitations, I considering creating my own app wrapper for my book. (And selling it in the app store, not the iBookshelf). But I'd rather not endure this extra development effort, unless there's compelling reason to do so.