Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Airport express for all?

This is a discussion on Airport express for all? within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hello forum buddies, a simple question here. If i buy the airport express hotspot, can other non-apple devices share the internet connection??...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    243778
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Borneo
    Posts
    51

    Airport express for all?

    Hello forum buddies, a simple question here. If i buy the airport express hotspot, can other non-apple devices share the internet connection??
    Ipad 3 iOS 6 white 32GB wifi + cellular

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1523 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,432
    Yes, it uses all the normal standards. It's a bit limited in features, but that's the price of having such a small and convenient package.

  4. #3
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    243778
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Borneo
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by twerppoet
    Yes, it uses all the normal standards. It's a bit limited in features, but that's the price of having such a small and convenient package.
    Thanks for the info, but what do you mean by limited in features?
    Ipad 3 iOS 6 white 32GB wifi + cellular

  5. #4
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1523 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,432
    Nothing that most users would care about.

    A router with external antennas will (usually) have better range. If you need to cover a large house and yard, the AirPort Express might not quite do the job. The more expensive routers will have more management features for tracking and controlling access to the network.


    If you need to set up a small private network, the AirPort Express will do an admirable job. And Apple provides an AirPort Utility app that will let you set it up from your iPad or iPhone. That's handy.

  6. #5
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    243778
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Borneo
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by twerppoet
    Nothing that most users would care about.

    A router with external antennas will (usually) have better range. If you need to cover a large house and yard, the AirPort Express might not quite do the job. The more expensive routers will have more management features for tracking and controlling access to the network.

    If you need to set up a small private network, the AirPort Express will do an admirable job. And Apple provides an AirPort Utility app that will let you set it up from your iPad or iPhone. That's handy.
    Thanks twerppoet!! Now I really should grab one of it!!
    Ipad 3 iOS 6 white 32GB wifi + cellular

  7. #6
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    28530
    Liked
    1523 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    15,432
    No problem. Let us know how it works for you.

  8. #7
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    243778
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Borneo
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by twerppoet
    No problem. Let us know how it works for you.
    Sure!
    Ipad 3 iOS 6 white 32GB wifi + cellular

  9. #8
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    58589
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    10
    Also remember that if you use an Airport Express it will NOT support a usb hard drive, like the Extreme will. It only supports a printer I believe. (I am referring to the usb port on the back. This is another of the limited features.)

  10. #9
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    243778
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Borneo
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tibbs
    Also remember that if you use an Airport Express it will NOT support a usb hard drive, like the Extreme will. It only supports a printer I believe. (I am referring to the usb port on the back. This is another of the limited features.)
    Okay, as long as I can plug my direct line cable, then it's fine. Lol I forgot what is the cable name
    Ipad 3 iOS 6 white 32GB wifi + cellular

  11. #10
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    243778
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Borneo
    Posts
    51
    Oh ya, another question, I always turn my cellular 3G on & off, and I happened to find it tiring to frequently go to the settings to switch it on & off. Are there any short cut to put the button outside the home screen? I mean, just a single tap and the cellular Internet turns on and vice versa..you get what I meant? For example, similar like that android home apps..
    Ipad 3 iOS 6 white 32GB wifi + cellular


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. airport express
    By Tate in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM
  2. Airport express
    By Bompresso in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
  3. Anybody used an Airport Express?
    By mrjaffa in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM
  4. IPad and Airport Express or Airport Extreme
    By hanstoby222 in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM
  5. Settings for Airport Utility / Airport Express
    By Matth3w in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 10:29 PM

Search tags for this page

airport express

,

airport express does not support ipad 2

,

forgot password airport express, ipad

,

ipad 3 airport express

Click on a term to search for related topics.