Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

IPad USB camera connection kit plus webcam

This is a discussion on IPad USB camera connection kit plus webcam within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hi everyone, I'm thinking about getting the USB camera connection kit, but was wondering if it would work with a webcam. I have an app ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
    iPad Noob!
    Member #

IPad USB camera connection kit plus webcam

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting the USB camera connection kit, but was wondering if it would work with a webcam.

I have an app called timelapse for my iphone 3gs, and was hoping there would be a way to connect my logitech 9000 webcam and take timelapse videos.

This camera has a much better lens than my 3GS and allows for 8 mp photos to be taken, this would make for much nicer timelapse videos than through my 3GS.

Jailbreaking is not a problem if needed for software, just looking for confirmation that this might work before I spend the money on the camera connector. I haven't been able to find anyone talking specifically about attaching a USB webcam to an Ipad after extensive google searching, so I thought I'd ask.

2. Ads

iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    It won't work because the webcam needs drivers installed and you can't do that on the iPad.
    iPAddict - 16Gig WiFi with Zagg InvisibleSHIELD Front - clear Hard Candy Sleek case - Built NY sleeve - Freedom Pro folding Bluetooth keyboard - Microsoft Bluetooth 6000 keyboard - Boxwave stylus - DIY LEGO stand, 3feet stand & DIY fold-flat stand

iPad Fan
    Member #
    Someone claims to have figured it out. Expected late this year (gotta use their hardware, though):

Photofast to bring camera to iPad, unless Apple beats them to it

iPad Noob!
    Member #
    Wonder if I'd be able to use their software + my webcam and a usb camera connect kit. That webcam is not nearly as nice as the logitech (actually, doesn't really even look better than the built in camera in the Iphone 3gs)

iPad Fan
    Member #
    Doubtful. I don't think their camera uses the USB connect kit.

iPad Noob!
    Member #

It just might work with UVC cameras (and a powered hub)

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
    It won't work because the webcam needs drivers installed and you can't do that on the iPad.
    In fact, if the camera is a USB Video Class (UVC) camera, no camera specific drivers are necessary (or maybe just a built-in one, that honors the UVC standard). Automatically recognized by OSX, Vista, Win7. On the Mac, UVC cameras just work, even with iChat. Don't know if iOS includes the UVC driver.

Links