Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Smartcover or not

This is a discussion on Smartcover or not within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by scotland66 Good to know! I haven't bought one yet, because I want to be able to protect the back swell as the ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scotland66 View Post
    Good to know! I haven't bought one yet, because I want to be able to protect the back swell as the front
    Cheers
    Nick
    i got a see thro back (feather)for mine as well so its all protected but i can still see the apple logo

2. Ads

iPad Junkie
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scotland66
    I'm convinced! So work til 2:00 yes on a Saturday! Then off to buy a smart cover, and stay in tonight with my iPad!
    Good choice- when transporting my iPad I put it in a bulky leftover netbook sleeve, but I leave it out at home with a smart cover on it. I love it. Being able to make it into stands with two different angles is great!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Lindsey

Black 16GB iPad 2 | Jailbroken via Absinthe
    White 16GB iPhone 4S | Jailbroken via Absinthe

iPF Noob
    Member #
    The cover I bought was from tmart.com and they have a whole lot of cases to choose from even some that cover the back of the iPad and compatible with smart covers check em out

iPF Novice
    Member #
    I use the Apple Smartcover for the front and the Smartcap (from the HiShop) to cover the back. To me they work well together.

David

iPad Junkie
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i would say no to the socalled smart cover because of the basic fact all i want the cover to do is protect the back because of the front is protected by the case i keep it in .

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    956 times
    I have the black leather smart cover with a snap on clear back cover. I love the look of the iPad so wanted to keep the covers to a minimum. Also a leather envelope case for added protection when traveling. It's the only way for me.

Please read the Forum Rules
    iPad Air 128gb Wifi/Cellular - iPad 2 64gb Wifi/Cellular - iPad Mini 32gb Wifi/Cellular - iPhone 5 - Apple TV - MacBook Pro 15" - Time Capsule - Airport Express

iPad Addict
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Bottom line.

The SmartCover has the following attributes.

(1) Sleep/Wake functionality.
    (2) Foldable "stand" for landscape oriented iPad
    (3) Protection for the screen only
    (4) Easily detachable.

There are numerous alternatives that provide the same functionality for 1 and 2. In addition, those alternatives provide protection for the back of the iPad by attaching the screen cover permanently to the back cover. What is NOT provided by any alternative is (4.) Some view that as a significant benefit. Others see it as a significant risk since it also means that one may try to pick up the iPad by the SmartCover with disastrous results. For the latter group, there are at least two alternatives for a back cover that locks the SmartCover in place (ZUM and MacAlley.) However, if one goes that route it's essentially identical to a case that includes both screen and back protection. And the price is potentially much greater.

The bottom line is that if one wants to detach the screen cover easily, the SmartCover is, AFAIK, the only option. But that benefit is balanced by some risk. If one already has a SmartCover and wants to keep it, there are numerous back covers that are "compatible" with it. But only the ZUM and MacAlley, AFAIK, "lock" the SmartCover in place.

iPF Noob
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i say get the smart cover. it's the best option for ppl who hold the ipad in their hands a lot, like reading. it's great becuz you take it off whenever you want. when i'm reading something, i hate having the dang folio dangling to the side.get a six pack at kroegers

Links