Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

GoFlex Satellite problems

This is a discussion on GoFlex Satellite problems within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hi, My wife wanted an iPad 2. We got her one. She wanted to show our photos to her friends. There were too many to ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    iPad Fan!
    Member #

GoFlex Satellite problems

Hi,

My wife wanted an iPad 2. We got her one. She wanted to show our photos to her friends. There were too many to fit on the 16 GB iPad 2, so I bought a Seagate GoFlex Satellite (500 GB, external, wi-fi hard drive). I was initially encouraged because I was able to put a lot of pix on the HD and use folders to keep them sorted. Plus I was able to use drag-and-drop to get files and folders from my desktop to the Satellite HD. That's the good news.

The bad news is that in the "Folder View" (in the GoFlex Media app on the iPad), the drive sometimes works but eventually will jump to the "Local Content" option loosing my place in the file tree. This is usually before I've been able to locate one viewable picture by "drilling down" thru the folders. The drive is proving worthless in that it doesn't navigate consistently. And, this is even disregarding the fact that the HD-iPad combo is slower than molasses in January.

I'm just a guy trying to help his wife show pix to her friends on her iPad. Nothing about the iPad is intuitive to me (I'm a PC guy). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, can someone define "syncing" files for me? Is this like what PC folks call copying files from one place to another? And, have I missed a step by only dragging and dropping files to the HD. Do I need to "Sync" them? I downloaded a bit of software from Segate, MediaSync. However, it isn't user friendly and I couldn't change things on the HD with it so I gave up and just moved/deleted/added/whatever the files & folders like I do on my PC. It seemed to work until I went to use them <groan>. Then I was able to get to the pix only about 1 out of 10 times.

My thanks in advance.

Spike

PS, I've updated the Segate software from their site.

2. Ads

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not too impressed by their app. It's basically the web interface wrapped in an app with the option to download content and store it locally. If you don't need the offline content, just use the web interface.

You might have better luck with a dnla/upnp client like 8player. If you have a lot of content it can take several minutes to build the content database after you power on the drive.

I haven't loaded mine with tons of pictures, but it found every cover art .jpg in my music library and populated the picture section with it. So far I'm reallly happy with mine, but I have customized the software quite a bit and added WebDAV and smb, tweaked minidlna, etc.

I do not use their sync software. I just drag and drop.

RAC
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    You might like to try FileBrowser. I am yet to get my hands on this device but I expect it to work with FileBrowser.

iPad Fan!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusid View Post
    I'm not too impressed by their app. It's basically the web interface wrapped in an app with the option to download content and store it locally. If you don't need the offline content, just use the web interface.

You might have better luck with a dnla/upnp client like 8player. If you have a lot of content it can take several minutes to build the content database after you power on the drive.

I haven't loaded mine with tons of pictures, but it found every cover art .jpg in my music library and populated the picture section with it. So far I'm reallly happy with mine, but I have customized the software quite a bit and added WebDAV and smb, tweaked minidlna, etc.

I do not use their sync software. I just drag and drop.
    Lusid,

Thanks. I wish I were savvy enough to understand your answer. I think all I'm using it for is offline content, i.e., my own pix. Have I totally misunderstood what you wrote (I hate when that happens!).

Also, I went to the Segate forums and found virtually my exact problem was posted on YouTube. I'll try to put the link here: ooops... I just got a message saying I didn't have enough posts to put up a link. I'll do another post then try again.

Spike

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    You might like to try FileBrowser. I am yet to get my hands on this device but I expect it to work with FileBrowser.
    Out of the box is does not work with file browser. File browser is an smb client, and samba is not installed by default.

iPad Fan!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusid View Post
    (snip)
    (snip)
    I searched 8player and found it. I'll download it and see if it works.

I don't mind shelling out the $200 for the Satellite if it works as advertised. The funny (well, kinda funny) part is that my wife wanted an Apple product because you don't have these problems. You just plug 'em in and they work. I suspect it's because the iPad doesn't have expansion capacity built in that Segate and others are scrambling to fill the need. Part of my frustration is that others seem to like the Satellite so I'm hoping with some persistence, I'll get it to do what we bought it to do.

BTW, this is my 3rd post here so I should be able to post that YouTube link in my next one.

Thanks,
    Spike

iPad Fan!
    Member #
    Here's the YouTube link that shows the problem:

If you're a visual learner, this is it.

Spike

iPad Fan!
    Member #
    Problem solved:
    I've given up trying to get the Satellite to work. Am sending it to my kids who are Apple types. Hopefully they can make it work.

I'm going back to my $300, 250 GB Acer netbook and $50 Western Digital 500 GB hard drive (for traveling and all work perfectly, BTW) and let my wife play Solitaire on the $500, 16 GB iPad 2 <LOL>.

Life is good again .

Spike
    Last edited by SpikeC; 08-28-2011 at 03:30 AM.

iPad Noob!
    Member #

Thumbs up Solution

Once you have the GoFlex Satellite wirelessly connected to your Ipad/Iphone, use the following player: Goodplayer - it is the best player out there, that not only can read Samba shares, but it will detect any upnp device on your network. So, once this apps is loaded, click on the world symbol bottom right of the screen and select upnp and you will be able to browse through any folder on your GoFlex Sat drive, and you will even see the files/folders listed aphabetical/numberical order.
    I forgot to mention that it will play all your XVID/DVIX files and other formats(GoFlex media app doesn't)

Have fun.
    Last edited by pmendel; 09-04-2011 at 06:56 PM.

iPF Noob
    Member #
    I have found a few apps that work well with the goflex, such as 8player (costs but they have a lite version which u can only see a few movies) and mediaconnect (free). Both of these work quite well from what I have seen so far. They seem to play all the formats. The only problem I have faced is playing HD such as 720P mkv files. I have yet tried other hd files or 1080P (goes without saying that 1080p would have the same problem). From my understanding it takes more power for these larger formats to encode/decode what ever it does. I believe that some of these apps will in future updates fix these problems. Just remember leave feature requests for as many apps that support goflex which should speed up the process of them fixing this issue. If anyone else has found an app that already supports mkv HD without glitching or lipsync out then please inform us.

Hope this helps. And remember the more feedback developers get for these functions the more chance these bugs will be dealt with.

Cheers

Links