Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

TPU vs. soft gel cases

This is a discussion on TPU vs. soft gel cases within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Couple quick questions concerning TPU and soft gel cases. 1. Which cases provides a better grip for holding the ipad? From my limited research it ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TPU vs. soft gel cases

iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #

TPU vs. soft gel cases

Couple quick questions concerning TPU and soft gel cases.

1. Which cases provides a better grip for holding the ipad? From my limited research it sounds like the TPU is more slick so it wouldn't provide as good of a grip as a soft gel case.

2. How difficult is putting either type of case in a sleeve type of enclosure? I'd like to be able to put my ipad in a sleeve case with either a TPU or soft gel case wrapped around it at the same time for added protection when needed. Will the added friction from the TPU or soft gel make this too difficult?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    The soft gel seems like it would give more grip but it doesn't add much grip itself. At least, the two that I have. They are quite smooth as well and about as slippery as the stock iPad.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    (By the wording supplied, we will assume that soft gel means silicone cases [example of our silicone cases ])

1) Silicone cases usually have the same amount of grip throughout all styles. Some companies have cases with different designs to have a grippy feel (example) but they are generally very smooth on the outside. For that reason, they are do not have much grip.

A TPU case can come in many varieties. Like glass, it can be frosted for a smooth touch or glossy so it has a great grip and clear view. For example, our iLuv Flexi-Dot cases have a semi-frosted interior but the exterior is very glossy and has great grip. The same thing can be said for our CircleWave TPU cases.

2) A silicone case should always be avoided when using a sleeve case. A matte TPU would be best since it would slide in and out easily. Either that or a hard case since it will not slide off.

Check out our Smart Cover compatible cases for the Apple iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad 2/3/4

iPhone 5C Cases

iPhone 5S Cases

i
    Pod Touch 5th Generation Cases
    Last edited by cimousa; 01-07-2014 at 07:45 AM.

iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cimousa View Post
    (By the wording supplied, we will assume that soft gel means silicone cases [example of our silicone cases ])

1) Silicone cases usually have the same amount of grip throughout all styles. Some companies have cases with different designs to have a grippy feel (example) but they are generally very smooth on the outside. For that reason, they are do not have much grip.

A TPU case can come in many varieties. Like glass, it can be frosted for a smooth touch or glossy so it has a great grip and clear view. For example, our iLuv Flexi-Dot cases have a semi-frosted interior but the exterior is very glossy and has great grip. The same thing can be said for our CircleWave TPU cases.

2) A silicone case should always be avoided when using a sleeve case. A matte TPU would be best since it would slide in and out easily. Either that or a hard case since it will not slide off.

Actually I was referring to the gel cases, maybe I was confused but I thought it was actually called soft gel....if I'm mistaken then thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I am actually not considering a silicone case, much for the same reason that you stated (I was pretty sure the silicone would be really difficult to go in and out of a sleeve) but was mostly concerned about the rigidity of the silicone. I've seen complaints from people saying that sometimes the silicone is too loose and it kind of rolls off the device at times.

It's actually funny that you replied and mentioned the iluv flexi-dot case. I was going to ask you a question in your sub-forum about it. I've seen other places that have 3 different colors....black, blue, & pink. Im curious if you guys are going to carry any of those other colors, mostly interested in the black personally.

The next thing I would have to do is find a decent sleeve type case that has a small pocket on it's side so I can have someplace to store my earbud headphones I bought for watching movies.

Thanks for the info so far.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by largefarva View Post
    It's actually funny that you replied and mentioned the iluv flexi-dot case. I was going to ask you a question in your sub-forum about it. I've seen other places that have 3 different colors....black, blue, & pink. Im curious if you guys are going to carry any of those other colors, mostly interested in the black personally.
    We're glad to answer any questions!

Actually, we will have the other colors, clear, pink and blue, online by tonight. As you may have noticed on the site, we have a variety of new items and we've been busy trying to update it as quick as possible. We will not have a black color option, but I believe the 'black' and 'smoke(d)/gray' names are used interchangeably over the market.

iPad Addict
    Member #

1. Which cases provides a better grip for holding the ipad? From my limited research it sounds like the TPU is more slick so it wouldn't provide as good of a grip as a soft gel case.

2. How difficult is putting either type of case in a sleeve type of enclosure? I'd like to be able to put my ipad in a sleeve case with either a TPU or soft gel case wrapped around it at the same time for added protection when needed. Will the added friction from the TPU or soft gel make this too difficult?

Hi that an interesting question for a manufacturer

The Silicone case (the one you call soft) are usually more thick if you want to have grip and durability Ö

In term of durability due to the Silicone specification , only the dark color will not change the color, in term of grip you can add any decoration and style you want itís no strong enough for maintain well

advantage: of the silicone is he can colorful and the price is really cheap around 6 to 15$ (same type of case)

Disadvantage: Cheap looking, not a good grip, durability mediocre, cannot easily enter in sleeve, and canít enter in leatherette case

TPU case more slim but more strong, more better grip with or without grippy decoration, you can also put it in most of existing sleeve and leatherette case (i do that)
    for put a TPU case you will need a little more effort than silicone but a 10 years old kids can do it

Advantage: Elegant looking better grip, long life, and will not hide light sensor, can enter in all sleeve and case

Disadvantage: More expensive than silicone Ö.

Personal comment: TPU is the best, just paid attention to the first generation as many be developed without iPad in hand the hole are not well made or too small , due to the manufacturing time the second generation still just arrive in the market

Hope that help

iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cimousa View Post
    We're glad to answer any questions!

Actually, we will have the other colors, clear, pink and blue, online by tonight. As you may have noticed on the site, we have a variety of new items and we've been busy trying to update it as quick as possible. We will not have a black color option, but I believe the 'black' and 'smoke(d)/gray' names are used interchangeably over the market.

Here's a link to what I'm referring to when I'm talking about the black case.

iLuv

The black one there....is that the same one that you already have on your website? If so, that's the one I'm mainly interested in but it must just be different lighting on your website....and in person would it look darker like on the iluv website pictures?

iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by IpadOne View Post

Hi that an interesting question for a manufacturer

The Silicone case (the one you call soft) are usually more thick if you want to have grip and durability Ö

In term of durability due to the Silicone specification , only the dark color will not change the color, in term of grip you can add any decoration and style you want itís no strong enough for maintain well

advantage: of the silicone is he can colorful and the price is really cheap around 6 to 15$ (same type of case)

Disadvantage: Cheap looking, not a good grip, durability mediocre, cannot easily enter in sleeve, and canít enter in leatherette case

TPU case more slim but more strong, more better grip with or without grippy decoration, you can also put it in most of existing sleeve and leatherette case (i do that)
    for put a TPU case you will need a little more effort than silicone but a 10 years old kids can do it

Advantage: Elegant looking better grip, long life, and will not hide light sensor, can enter in all sleeve and case

Disadvantage: More expensive than silicone Ö.

Personal comment: TPU is the best, just paid attention to the first generation as many be developed without iPad in hand the hole are not well made or too small , due to the manufacturing time the second generation still just arrive in the market

Hope that help

Ok so I'm gathering that what I've seen elsewhere "soft gel" must be the same thing as TPU and I've gotten it confused. I was under the impression that there was 3 different types of these style of cases....TPU, silicone, and "soft gel". But in reality, soft gel and TPU are one in the same....would that be correct? I already knew I wouldn't want a silicone case....I could never stand those on my iPhone...and there's no way I'd put one on my iPad. lol

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Ok so I'm gathering that what I've seen elsewhere "soft gel" must be the same thing as TPU and I've gotten it confused. I was under the impression that there was 3 different types of these style of cases....TPU, silicone, and "soft gel". But in reality, soft gel and TPU are one in the same....would that be correct? I already knew I wouldn't want a silicone case....I could never stand those on my iPhone...and there's no way I'd put one on my iPad. lol
    Yes, that is correct. The TPU (Soft Gel) is also sometimes called Candy or even Crystal.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Here's a link to what I'm referring to when I'm talking about the black case.

iLuv

The black one there....is that the same one that you already have on your website? If so, that's the one I'm mainly interested in but it must just be different lighting on your website....and in person would it look darker like on the iluv website pictures?
    The image with the iLuv cases together is rendered. Therefore it looks darker. When you expand the images on that site, we see this:

Our cases are almost identical to the one above. The only difference is the lack of the iLuv trademark in the top middle, by request.

Links