Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard MC184LL/B Issues

This is a discussion on Apple Bluetooth Keyboard MC184LL/B Issues within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; There's a new keyboard in town and it's replacing the original MC184LL/A Bluetooth Keyboard. According to Apple the differences are subtle being slightly tweaked to ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    iPad Noob!
    Member #

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard MC184LL/B Issues

There's a new keyboard in town and it's replacing the original MC184LL/A Bluetooth Keyboard. According to Apple the differences are subtle being slightly tweaked to accommodate OS Lion on Mac. According to Apple, the only changes should have been the F3 and F4 keys (icons) for Mission control and some other feature I can't remember at the moment. However when it comes to ipad compatibility, the differences don't stop there. F3 and F4 on both the original /A and the newer /B model are not supported on ios, therefore there should be no difference between the two, but for some reason nobody really understands at this point, in the /B version (Apple is phasing out the /A) none of the F keys work such as Volume, Brightness and ipod controls. I've been in touch with Apple and they are unaware of this problem and have no answers as to why these features are not working in the /B version of the Bluetooth keyboard. So, for the time being Beware of the /B version if you're purchasing it for use with ios. While the standard keys work and typing is possible, those extra keys are not working on the /B version. If you can find the /A, grab one because it's unknown when, or even if those keys will be fixed in the /B iteration of the keyboard.

2. Ads

iPad Addict
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Interesting. If true this might explain a thread earlier this week in which a poster asked why the volume keys were not working on his/her Apple Wireless Keyboard. As I recall, the responses were along the lines of (a) reboot, (b) we don't believe you, and (c) take it back to the store.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    748 times
    That makes no sense to me at all, the keyboard does nothing in that it doesn't process anything, the keys are mapped in the host computers software. If they were hardwired incorrectly then they wouldn't work on any computer, it couldn't be an iPad only issue........saying that I have a horrendous headache so maybe I'm not thinking correctly!

The Archangel

iPF Novice
    Member #
    I was the one having issues with those keys on my AWK and ipad2. How does one tell the difference between the /A and /B versions?

iPad Addict
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gores95 View Post
    I was the one having issues with those keys on my AWK and ipad2. How does one tell the difference between the /A and /B versions?
    Glad you found the thread. Just guessing and someone else can probably provide better information but I'd suggest checking your box. Unfortunately, I just tossed mine a couple of days ago.

P.S. Just did a google search and found some other folks with the same problem with the /B version running earlier versions of the Mac OS. The indication is that the /B designation is on the box.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 08-20-2011 at 11:52 PM.

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120

Glad you found the thread. Just guessing and someone else can probably provide better information but I'd suggest checking your box. Unfortunately, I just tossed mine a couple of days ago.

P.S. Just did a google search and found some other folks with the same problem with the /B version running earlier versions of the Mac OS. The indication is that the /B designation is on the box.
    I just checked my box and sure enough I have the /B version. I guess I am going to bring it back to the Apple store to see if they have any /A versions. I will let you know how I do! Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apple Bluetooth Keyboard MC184LL/B Issues-image-3123326534.png  
    Last edited by gores95; 08-21-2011 at 08:33 AM.

iPad Noob!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
    That makes no sense to me at all, the keyboard does nothing in that it doesn't process anything, the keys are mapped in the host computers software. If they were hardwired incorrectly then they wouldn't work on any computer, it couldn't be an iPad only issue........saying that I have a horrendous headache so maybe I'm not thinking correctly!

The Archangel
    You're absolutely right, in theory, the only difference between the two iterations of the keyboard should have been the key icons. Everything else should have taken place in the OS. The real issue here is how Apple is going to correct this problem as obviously they did something more than a simple icon switch. Experience dictates that they will eventually identify the cause of the problem and correct it with a firmware update. For those of us with jail broken iPad 2's this is not a solution as a firmware update for us at this point is out of the question for obvious reasons. Best buy still has some /A's, $71.99; ironically $2 more than the $69.99 /B model. Amazon still has them @ $69.99.

iPad Wizard
    Member #
    Liked
    440 times
    If anyone's looking for an A model, there were plenty when I bought mine about two weeks ago at Best Buy. I paid $69.99 for mine. YMMV at your Best Buy.

The model number is shown on the sticker that also shows the UPC code.

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay
    If anyone's looking for an A model, there were plenty when I bought mine about two weeks ago at Best Buy. I paid $69.99 for mine. YMMV at your Best Buy.

The model number is shown on the sticker that also shows the UPC code.
    Has anyone seen the /A model at the Apple Store?

iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    wow that goes against my better judgment, but good call on catching that, i doubt I would have

Links