I received my Otterbox defender iPad2 case on Monday direct from the company. The iPad2 is my first iPad so my only brief experience of the Otterbox case for the original iPad was when in the queue on the 25 March here in the UK were a guy showed me his iPad 1 in the defender case. Other than that I have been carrying my Blackberry Storm in a Otterbox case for several years and it has been fantastic.
Things I like about the new iPad 2 case:
1. Apple logo shows through the back of the case.
2. Silicone feels nice and grippy to hold.
3. Small flap for charging connector, no need to completely remove or risk loosing flap.
4. Charging dock can be used, again without having to completely detach cover.
5. The stand on the inside of the lid works really well.
Things I don't like about the new iPad 2 case:
1. The cover lid has large spaces / holes in the corners, something could poke through and hit the screen?
2. Flap for head phone jack can be fiddly to close / stay closed.
3. Speaker grill area. This only partially covers the grill and there is a chance something could poke through and damage the speaker grill?
4. Clear colour of the speaker grill area, this would look much better in black.
5. Silicone layer seems to attract dust / fluff (static) at first.
6. There are areas where wind blown dust could enter the case.
Last June I bought this MacBookPro and I took it to India, ranging from the hot dusty deserts to the high altitude forests. It also went with me to Wyoming, USA and Germany. I would not like to take my iPad on such journeys in the Otterbox Deffender case.......
I see that Griffin are going to be releasing the Survivor case shortly, so I plan on buying one of these ASAP..... I believe that this case will offer much better protection against dust and other damage. I like the fact it has a built in screen protector. I realise that there isn't a cover panel, like on the Otterbox case but I intend to make my own out of Kydex (I have experience of working with this), the stuff they make gun holsters / knife sheaths out of.
Anyone want a iPad2 defender case going cheap in a week or two?