Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Waterproof case

This is a discussion on Waterproof case within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Looking into the possibility to use the iPad as chartplotter on my boat. Are there any cases made for this purpose, that you also can ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Waterproof case

iPad Noob!
    Member #

Waterproof case

Looking into the possibility to use the iPad as chartplotter on my boat.

Are there any cases made for this purpose, that you also can fasten to the dashboard ?

2. Ads

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As for mounts.... check out RAM mounts. They have an iPad mount, but while I haven't seen one for the iPad in person I can attest to the fact that their mounts are really well built and solid as a rock.

MSax
    Harry2110 likes this.

iPF Novice
    Member #

Other suggestions

There are a number of possibilities out there, but a few cooler choices on the way.

On the market right now are many different versions of dry bags. The drycase did some interesting testing. Seattle sports dry doc has eyelets to strap down the caseload there is always aquapac.

On the way sometime hopefully in near future Lifeproof.com suppose to come out with a version of there impending life proof case for the iPhone.

Okuqu.com is also supposed to come out with a version of the nut for the iPad.

There was a site dripadz.com and he was supposed to be in the market soon too.

But these actual cases non are available yet.

There is a ridiculously expensive ($300) one out of Europe, but can not find the link right now.

Post if you find anything new

iPad Noob!
    Member #

There's also an iLoc to Protect your iPad from Water

You should also take a look at the iLoc for the iPad. You can find it at www iLocStore com (iLoc Waterproof Phone and IPad Cases). It's under 3 bucks and protects your iPad from water, sand, snow, dust etc. It's a great buy for protecting your expensive iPad.

iPad Fan!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoiseux View Post
    We sell hard waterproof cases for IPAD 1 and 2

Check the videos on our site dndistribution2011.com
    I put the link for you.
    dndistribution2011.com

Nice hard waterproof case! Does it float or sink? Why is it so expensive?

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Left a message for dndistribution2011 have not heard back. The $79 case looks like the Macer case on Youtube is that correct? if so is the cover made of the same material as the iDRY? If so it should keep the unit dry, but seems to work best when wet (the iphone iDRY that is).

would love to see something like Lifeproof for iPad. if it is like that I am in.

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Presumably if you own a boat, price is no object to you and you might find purchasing a waterproof "case" at between $20 and $100 not unattractive. But frankly if you think out of the box a little, there's a solution you could use -- mount included -- that not only costs pennies, but is amazingly efficient and is something you probably already possess in your home: A full-sized Ziploc freezer bag and some Velcro strips.

Ziploc freezer bags not only offer plenty of room to fit your IPad inside, but, unlike some other cases with internal snaps or locks, installing or removing your device takes only a few seconds; also, the screen is easily viewable inside, facilitates finger manipulation (CAREful...), and the plastic is of sufficient thickness to alleviate casual tearing (remember, these are the freezer bags and not the generic sandwich bags). I use one myself when I take my IPad to my hot tub! I wouldn't recommend submersing it but for anything short of a fire hose blast of water, it laughs at all drips and drops.

As for the Velcro, just obtain two sets of matching 3" strips, place one set on your hopefully angled boat dashboard, on any other convenient surface, and the matching set on the bag and voila! There's your mount!

Here's somebody else's pic I just found on the internet of one in use for this purpose (although I turn mine 45 degrees). Hell, there's still room for a half-dozen Oreo cookies!!

Mike - Ipad2

iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    LifeProof makes a water proof case for the iPad that you can pre-order. However, they have not listed a price for that case yet, and I don't think it will be cheap considering the high demand for it. iPad - LifeProof Apple Cases - LifeProof Store

iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #

the price of that mother

iPad Junkie
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chelseaboy View Post

the price of that...
    Yes, $400 is a lot... but I suppose you are getting full functionality for that, with all the switches working, speaker etc... something like an underwater housing for a camera.

Not for most people, but I suppose there's a niche market where some guys would need that level of protection.

Links