Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Hammacher Schlemmer or Blurex Keyboard Cases

This is a discussion on Hammacher Schlemmer or Blurex Keyboard Cases within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hi! I've had my iPad since soon after they came out and just cannot go any longer without a keypad case. I've read many threads ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    iPad Fan!
    Member #

Thumbs down Hammacher Schlemmer or Blurex Keyboard Cases

Hi! I've had my iPad since soon after they came out and just cannot go any longer without a keypad case. I've read many threads on the subject but haven't seen mention of The iPad Keyboard Portfolio - Hammacher Schlemmer While I realize they are known for overpriced gadgets, this one appears to have what i need and is priced about where they all are.

I also was looking at the Blurex D-Lux Classic Leather iPad Folio Keypad V2 that someone here posted and like that the keys aren't rubber, among other things.

(since this is my first post, I'm not allowed to include the links to these)

It seems the Zaggmate is popular with many of you but I want to use this on my lap, in bed or on the couch, and the hard metal is unappealing and it looks like the iPad can fall right off the stand.

I would appreciate any feedbad on the Hammacher and/or the Blurex models. Thanks in advance!

2. Ads

iPad Fan!
    Member #

iPad Noob!
    Member #
    HI,

I would definitely go with the Blurex d-lux case.
    From what i have read this case is very different than all th eother cases on the market. The D-lux case has real laptop style keys and looks really elegant.
    From what I can see the Hammacher Schlemmer also has rubber keys.

iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I swore years ago to avoid Hammacher Schlemmer like the plague. I don't like that what I read in their catalogs seems like misrepresentation to me and they refuse to pay any return shipping costs if [you think] something is wrong. Of course your mileage may vary, but I won't buy from them.
    Tom
    EMP-Susceptible - with an iMac, 15" MacBook Pro/Retina, MacBook Air 11", iPod touch 2, 4, iPad 2, and iPad mini.

iPad Addict
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Honestly, ThinkGeek is offering a Bluetooth keyboard which looks like the one from Hammacher Schlemmer, but at just over half the price.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/e65a/
    32GB WiFi

iPad Addict
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Just saw this from Acase on Amazon, going for $40+, which is even cheaper. Again, just looking at the photos, these cases all look pretty similar.

cf. Acase bluetooth keyboard
    32GB WiFi

iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    That thing looks very worthwhile and it's a good price too. Does the keyboard get unnaturally compressed when the case is closed?
    Tom
    EMP-Susceptible - with an iMac, 15" MacBook Pro/Retina, MacBook Air 11", iPod touch 2, 4, iPad 2, and iPad mini.

iPad Addict
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, I have a very similar-looking model under the eGear brand imprint. The keys themselves are recessed, so that the top of the keys are level with the rest of the deck and do not get "pressed on":

I like the soft-touch silicone keys. The only drawback is that while the keys themselves are actually full-sized like a regular computer keyboard, the spacing between them on the Bluetooth keyboard is a lot more compressed. As comparison, I use a small-form ThinkPad keyboard (i.e. without number pad) which measures 29cm wide. With the same-sized keys and roughly the same layout, the Bluetooth keyboard is 22cm wide, or about 25% less, so I need to readjust my typing position.
    32GB WiFi

iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tzimisce View Post
    Well, I have a very similar-looking model under the eGear brand imprint. The keys themselves are recessed, so that the top of the keys are level with the rest of the deck and do not get "pressed on":

I like the soft-touch silicone keys. The only drawback is that while the keys themselves are actually full-sized like a regular computer keyboard, the spacing between them on the Bluetooth keyboard is a lot more compressed. As comparison, I use a small-form ThinkPad keyboard (i.e. without number pad) which measures 29cm wide. With the same-sized keys and roughly the same layout, the Bluetooth keyboard is 22cm wide, or about 25% less, so I need to readjust my typing position.
    I see the webpage - $119 seems like a lot for this, the Zagg was already a lot I thought, but this is 20% more. What supports the iPad at its back? One thing I don't like about the Zagg is having to set the little plastic support piece every time it is opened or closed (and it doesn't seem to me like it is going to survive a lot of those actuations).
    Tom

iPF Super Guru
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Maybe the prices on some of these iPad1 folios will come down since they will have to make new ones to fit the iPad2... but probably not.

I just checked on Amazon. The Blurex received almost as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews so even at $55, this does not exactly make me want to rush out and order one!
    Last edited by iPadCharlie; 03-05-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Links