Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Disguised for public transport

This is a discussion on Disguised for public transport within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; After thinking about it for a while I realise that I need a case to hide the iPad, not show it off. The most obvious ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Disguised for public transport

After thinking about it for a while I realise that I need a case to hide the iPad, not show it off. The most obvious disguise would be to make it look like a book or a notepad.

The BookBook and the Dodocase look too stylish and attention-grabbing.

I need something low-key (shabby, even), rugged and that holds the iPad securely.

Short of making something myself, does anyone have any ideas?

2. Ads

iPad Junkie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Umm.. Go to a book store, find a hardback thats the right size and start cutting. I would glue the pages.

I found with my dodo case that as some online videos show it falling out.. I can't see that happening. Every time I open the book, it's never in a position to fall out.
    iPad mini 16GB wifi White & Silver I iPhone 5 Verizon 16GB White & Silver I iPhone 4 Verizon 16GB Black (Retired to iPod like activities) I Late 2011 MacBook Air 13"

iPad Fan
    Member #
    Go to a Staples and get a Mini-notebook case like would hold an Acer. Often on sale. I got one for $13. If you can find one with handles that would be good. Get Black and you can find them in nylon or other strong fabric and zip closure.
    Mel Lammers

iPad Addict
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdown View Post
    The BookBook and the Dodocase look too stylish and attention-grabbing.
    The BookBook is definitely too ostentatious, but a Moleskine-style cover is quite unobtrusive. The only reason I can recognize a Moleskine iPad cover for what it is from twenty metres is because of its size; at a glance, your average passer-by wouldn't know it from a dead-tree paper notebook if it was lying on a coffee table.

Portenzo (Portenzo - Hand made iPad cases) make a pretty nice Moleskine cover, with additional options to customize as well as in "composition notebook" and "wingtip notebook" styles. Treegloo (Treegloo Products - iPad Cases: customizable, durable, eco-friendly, and made by hand.) also do a Moleskine with customization, depending on what you like.

As for DodoCase, they were an early starter, but their poor reputation for lack of durability and fragility -- check these comments from less than a week ago cf. Review: DODOcase for the iPad -- makes one wonder why anyone would want to buy one, unless it's a vanity purchase.
    32GB WiFi

iPad Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    "low-key (shabby, even)" that describes the apple case.......
    well at least it describes mine.

iPad Fan
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    For me the problem with the Apple case is the logo...

iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    I suppose it depends on whether you want to merely carry the thing unnoticed or whether you want to use it while you're traveling.

iPad Fan
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I want to carry it around unnoticed period. Plus, I spend more than 12 hours a week on public transport.

iPad Junkie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a dodo case..I actually like it a lot. For added security, I just superglued around all the ages.

But anywho, I like it a lot and it serves its need. If you were to buy one and make it look more like a book, you could get a used book, and cut strips out to make the outside of the bamboo case look like pages. A lot of work though.
    iPad mini 16GB wifi White & Silver I iPhone 5 Verizon 16GB White & Silver I iPhone 4 Verizon 16GB Black (Retired to iPod like activities) I Late 2011 MacBook Air 13"

iPad Fan!
    Member #
    My suggestion is go to a book store that sells zip close bible cases and put it in that, I doubt anyone would steal a bible.
    Drew

Links