Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

TV adaptor - onscreen 'cursor' indicator?

This is a discussion on TV adaptor - onscreen 'cursor' indicator? within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; The backlight on my 18 month old iPad 2 has gone, making it almost unusable. I can just see what's on the screen if the ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pcoleman721

Thread: TV adaptor - onscreen 'cursor' indicator?

iPF Noob
    Member #

TV adaptor - onscreen 'cursor' indicator?

The backlight on my 18 month old iPad 2 has gone, making it almost unusable. I can just see what's on the screen if the ambient light is very low. Apple's charges to fix it are entirely uneconomic, and even getting someone local to fix it is likely to cost too much.

Rather than bin it though, I wondered if it would be useful as a an accessory to my TV? If I buy an AV adaptor cable it'd allow me to watch online programs and perhaps play games, browse the internet etc on the TV.

However, in terms of controlling the iPad, if I can't see the icons etc on the iPad screen it's going to be difficult. When viewing the display on a TV is there any indication of where you're touching (ie a cursor). If not, are there any apps which would give this functionality?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other uses for an iPad with this particular problem?

cheers

Garve

2. Ads

iPad Fan
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    No on-screen cursor. It will pretty much mirror what you see on your iPad. You'll be guessing where you're pressing until you see what happens on your TV.

It will make a very nice paper weight.
    iPad Air | iPhone 5 | 13" MacBook Air | 15" MacBook Pro Retina | 27" iMac | MacPro | Apple TV 3

Retired: iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini (1st Gen), iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, 13" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, Apple TV 2

iPF Noob
    Member #
    Thank Junior, I think. Not really the answer I was hoping for.

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you can see just enough, try jail breaking it. Install BTC Mouse and Trackpad. It lets you use a bluetooth mouse putting an arrow cursor on your screen like a computer. You could basically park your iPad like a Mac Mini and use it through the HDMI of your TV.
    Garve likes this.

iPF Noob
    Member #
    Thanks, that's an option. However, it looks like the best bet is probably to sell it for spares - faulty iPads seem to make a fair bit on eBay, so i"ll maybe give an android tablet a go.

Links