Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Stylus For Otterbox Defender

This is a discussion on Stylus For Otterbox Defender within the iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3 forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I have my iPad 3 protected in the Otterbox Defender case. The OD has the built in screen protector if you're not aware and I've ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Stylus For Otterbox Defender

  1. #1
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    236770
    Liked
    95 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    873

    Stylus For Otterbox Defender

    I have my iPad 3 protected in the Otterbox Defender case. The OD has the built in screen protector if you're not aware and I've been using a standard stylus on it. But it's a pain in the neck using it because I have to constantly press down hard at certain times because the screen protector is hard. Is there a stylus out there that will work nicely with the OD's screen protector?
    Current Apple Devices:

    iPad 3-Black-16G-WiFi
    iPod Touch 4th Gen-Black-8G-WiFi

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    275805
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by iJamesH View Post
    I have my iPad 3 protected in the Otterbox Defender case. The OD has the built in screen protector if you're not aware and I've been using a standard stylus on it. But it's a pain in the neck using it because I have to constantly press down hard at certain times because the screen protector is hard. Is there a stylus out there that will work nicely with the OD's screen protector?
    Couldn't you remove the screen protector and use without or a screen protector that works better with a stylus.

  4. #3
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    168139
    Liked
    83 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Swtrader

    Couldn't you remove the screen protector and use without or a screen protector that works better with a stylus.
    You cannot remove the screen protector, as it is part of the case.

    To the OP, stylus' are tricky things. Remember, it is not pressure, but the flow of conducted electricity from your body to the screen that makes it work. Fingers are ideal, and a well made stylus can be very effective. The screen protector of the OD is somewhat thicker than usual screen protectors, so it is reducing the flow of the conductivity between you, your stylus and the screen. A better stylus may do the trick, or it may not. In the end, you may have to trade off between your stylus or your OD case.
    dhewson777
    Brisbane, Australia

    iPad 2 , iPhone 4, MBA 11"
    Yes, I have windows PCs as well! (too many to list)

  5. #4
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    275558
    Liked
    5 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville, fl
    Posts
    40

    Stylus For Otterbox Defender

    You may have dust under the screen protector.. I have to clean my otterbox out every once in a while. Also you can remove the screen protector... Just it won't be reusable lol..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  6. #5
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    267178
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by dhewson777

    You cannot remove the screen protector, as it is part of the case.

    To the OP, stylus' are tricky things. Remember, it is not pressure, but the flow of conducted electricity from your body to the screen that makes it work. Fingers are ideal, and a well made stylus can be very effective. The screen protector of the OD is somewhat thicker than usual screen protectors, so it is reducing the flow of the conductivity between you, your stylus and the screen. A better stylus may do the trick, or it may not. In the end, you may have to trade off between your stylus or your OD case.
    Huh?

    There is no electricity "flowing" from your body to the screen.
    Your touch distorts the screen's electrostatic field. Your fingers are conductive. So is a stylus. That distorts the electrostatic field. The distortion is measured in capacitance.
    Nothing is flowing out of your body....
    goofy8275 likes this.

  7. #6
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    168139
    Liked
    83 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by wpgmini

    Huh?

    There is no electricity "flowing" from your body to the screen.
    Your touch distorts the screen's electrostatic field. Your fingers are conductive. So is a stylus. That distorts the electrostatic field. The distortion is measured in capacitance.
    Nothing is flowing out of your body....
    I'm no physicist, I'll give you that

    But there is the link between your body and the screen, the stylus won't work without you holding it in the right place. The point is, the screen protector on the otter box does reduce the effectiveness of the stylus.
    dhewson777
    Brisbane, Australia

    iPad 2 , iPhone 4, MBA 11"
    Yes, I have windows PCs as well! (too many to list)

  8. #7
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    267178
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by dhewson777

    I'm no physicist, I'll give you that

    But there is the link between your body and the screen, the stylus won't work without you holding it in the right place. The point is, the screen protector on the otter box does reduce the effectiveness of the stylus.
    Put mitts on. Grab your stylus. It will work without you touching it.

    But yes, the otterbox polycarbonate screen protector does reduce the sensitivity.
    Last edited by wpgmini; 02-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.

  9. #8
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    168139
    Liked
    83 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by wpgmini

    Put mitts on. Grab your stylus. It will work without you touching it.

    But yes, the otterbox polycarbonate screen protector does reduce the sensitivity.
    On all stylus' I've used, you have to be holding the rubber-like grip or the metal shaft. I have a very good stylus with a plastic shaft, and unless you hold the grip, it does not work. The stylus itself won't effect the screen without your direct interaction.
    dhewson777
    Brisbane, Australia

    iPad 2 , iPhone 4, MBA 11"
    Yes, I have windows PCs as well! (too many to list)

  10. #9
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    267178
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by dhewson777

    On all stylus' I've used, you have to be holding the rubber-like grip or the metal shaft. I have a very good stylus with a plastic shaft, and unless you hold the grip, it does not work. The stylus itself won't effect the screen without your direct interaction.
    ..............

  11. #10
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    275558
    Liked
    5 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville, fl
    Posts
    40

    Stylus For Otterbox Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by dhewson777 View Post
    On all stylus' I've used, you have to be holding the rubber-like grip or the metal shaft. I have a very good stylus with a plastic shaft, and unless you hold the grip, it does not work. The stylus itself won't effect the screen without your direct interaction.
    Say what? I have a cheap stylus got like a 6 pack for a dollar off eBay... I can drop the tip onto my iPad and it works fine. I wrapped the body in a towel after I read this and tried again.. Still works great. And only the tip on the stylus works....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD and nonconductive stylus shaft


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. otterbox defender for ipad 2
    By xkrrms7942 in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 03:32 AM
  2. Otterbox defender
    By Emodracer in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 03:26 AM
  3. Otterbox defender
    By Spanky in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
  4. OK I put the Otterbox Defender on - now how...
    By slothead in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 04:34 AM
  5. Ivyskin Quattro T-5 or Otterbox defender?
    By Jmantiki2721 in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Search tags for this page

best stylus for ipad with otterbox
,

best stylus for otterbox

,
best stylus for otterbox defender
,
can i connect a stylus to the otter box
,
does a stylus work with an otterbox
,
ipad stylus works with otterbox
,

otterbox stylus

,
stylus for ipad in otterbix case
Click on a term to search for related topics.