Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Virtual PDF printer? Does anyone know of one?

This is a discussion on Virtual PDF printer? Does anyone know of one? within the iPad 4 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I'm not referring to the various apps that will convert to pdf, or require you to create or browse to a page in them in ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    275259
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10

    Virtual PDF printer? Does anyone know of one?

    I'm not referring to the various apps that will convert to pdf, or require you to create or browse to a page in them in order to print.

    Why is there no virtual pdf printer for ipad? Why was the only one that was available pulled from the itunes store? Moreover, with ios6, airprint through to a network printer on my home network will not work, whereas it did with ios5. I have 3 pads... 2, 3 and 4. All suffer the same imprisonment...

    Is apple the new IBM and we need to throw a hammer through the BS?

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    253716
    Liked
    4 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    137
    Tap that option you will then see email and print select print.And ya I'm doing this in iBooks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virtual PDF printer?  Does anyone know of one?-image-1239567257.jpg  
    ~iPad 3 32GB 4G LTE Black model~Airtel SIM
    ~iPod 5 32GB White model~
    ~iPod nano 5th gen,iPod nano 7th gen,Apple TV 3G~

  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    411 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post
    I'm not referring to the various apps that will convert to pdf, or require you to create or browse to a page in them in order to print.

    Why is there no virtual pdf printer for ipad? Why was the only one that was available pulled from the itunes store? Moreover, with ios6, airprint through to a network printer on my home network will not work, whereas it did with ios5. I have 3 pads... 2, 3 and 4. All suffer the same imprisonment...

    Is apple the new IBM and we need to throw a hammer through the BS?
    What exactly is a virtual PDF printer?

    I'm running iOS6...and I have my printer on wifi. Using an app that comes from Netgear, whose router I have, I can print to any printer on my system. That includes the Epson on wifi, as well as the PDF converter on my system. Thus, from my iPad, I can create a PDF of anything I wish to print. But most apps of note will let you save a file as a PDF.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPad mini - 64 GB - LTE - Black | iPad (3nd Gen) - 64GB - LTE - Black | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  5. #4
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    260719
    Liked
    141 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC

    What exactly is a virtual PDF printer?

    I'm running iOS6...and I have my printer on wifi. Using an app that comes from Netgear, whose router I have, I can print to any printer on my system. That includes the Epson on wifi, as well as the PDF converter on my system. Thus, from my iPad, I can create a PDF of anything I wish to print. But most apps of note will let you save a file as a PDF.
    I have one on my laptop with Windows Vista. It lets you 'print to file' rather than actually print, which converts anything into a PDF format file. Not needed on my iPad with the various apps available.

    Roy Rob - Niagara-on-the-Lake
    Ontario

  6. #5
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    275259
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC

    What exactly is a virtual PDF printer?

    I'm running iOS6...and I have my printer on wifi. Using an app that comes from Netgear, whose router I have, I can print to any printer on my system. That includes the Epson on wifi, as well as the PDF converter on my system. Thus, from my iPad, I can create a PDF of anything I wish to print. But most apps of note will let you save a file as a PDF.
    Uh - really? Are you referring to an airprinter - yeah, that's easy and not what im trying to do Or are you referring to hooking into a printer connected to a pc or router on your network. So, when you go to print are your printers listed in the "Select Printer" popup? And by sharing a pdf printer from a pc on your network does it show up in the select printer pop up on your ipad? We have 3 pads, 5 PCs, on a network with one dns server and several accesspoints and extenders. As soon as os6 was pushed down, it farked the whole multiplatform setup.

    Virtual printer: Until december there was a great app in the app store called Print to PDF which you loaded and would show as a native printer you could select to print to no matter where you were. Apple pulled this app (by AppRay) from the store to the disappointment of many users It got rave reviews from the community, from cnet etc... But was removed by Apple.

  7. #6
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    275259
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Rob

    I have one on my laptop with Windows Vista. It lets you 'print to file' rather than actually print, which converts anything into a PDF format file. Not needed on my iPad with the various apps available.
    What "various" apps??

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    411 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post
    Uh - really? Are you referring to an airprinter - yeah, that's easy and not what im trying to do Or are you referring to hooking into a printer connected to a pc or router on your network. So, when you go to print are your printers listed in the "Select Printer" popup? And by sharing a pdf printer from a pc on your network does it show up in the select printer pop up on your ipad? We have 3 pads, 5 PCs, on a network with one dns server and several accesspoints and extenders. As soon as os6 was pushed down, it farked the whole multiplatform setup.

    Virtual printer: Until december there was a great app in the app store called Print to PDF which you loaded and would show as a native printer you could select to print to no matter where you were. Apple pulled this app (by AppRay) from the store to the disappointment of many users It got rave reviews from the community, from cnet etc... But was removed by Apple.
    No, my printer is not an airprinter. I got it before apple released the airprinter stuff. Netgear has a PC program that turns any printer on your system into an air printer. So, my Epson printer becomes an air printer and indeed shows up in the popup dialog on my iPad. I have a PC program sold by nuance that edits and creates PDFs. It has a print driver so I can create PDFs from any program just by selecting it as a device to print to. Because of that same netgear program, it too shows up on my iPad when I go to print. The output shows up on my PC, not on my iPad, however.

    Apple must have had a reason to remove the app from the store. As they have nearly 300,000 iPad apps in the store, I don't imagine it was for no reason they removed it.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPad mini - 64 GB - LTE - Black | iPad (3nd Gen) - 64GB - LTE - Black | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  9. #8
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    275259
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC

    No, my printer is not an airprinter. I got it before apple released the airprinter stuff. Netgear has a PC program that turns any printer on your system into an air printer. So, my Epson printer becomes an air printer and indeed shows up in the popup dialog on my iPad. I have a PC program sold by nuance that edits and creates PDFs. It has a print driver so I can create PDFs from any program just by selecting it as a device to print to. Because of that same netgear program, it too shows up on my iPad when I go to print. The output shows up on my PC, not on my iPad, however.

    Apple must have had a reason to remove the app from the store. As they have nearly 300,000 iPad apps in the store, I don't imagine it was for no reason they removed it.
    Yeah thats how it used to work for me using the Airprint tweak to windows on my home network. Not sure what os6 did but that no longer works - have two netgear APs and one router on the network, L'll check their website. Do you recall the name of the netgear apl?
    Its a shame re: a native pdfprinter for ipad. Would be a big seller...

    So... No one knows of an Apple-blessed native pdf printer for ipad?

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    411 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post
    Yeah thats how it used to work for me using the Airprint tweak to windows on my home network. Not sure what os6 did but that no longer works - have two netgear APs and one router on the network, L'll check their website. Do you recall the name of the netgear apl?
    Its a shame re: a native pdfprinter for ipad. Would be a big seller...

    So... No one knows of an Apple-blessed native pdf printer for ipad?
    It's called Netgear Genie. We have a lot of members here who bring new info all the time, so you may not want to give up just yet....I too would like such a thing.

    BTW, lots of apps can use the OPEN IN feature...so you can vector things off the apps like Good Reader, PDF Expert.....this may be another way to get a PDF. Apps like Pages, Numbers, etc, then to have the ability to save files in PDF format. I think that might be what the other poster was referring to by "various apps."
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPad mini - 64 GB - LTE - Black | iPad (3nd Gen) - 64GB - LTE - Black | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  11. #10
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    275259
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC

    It's called Netgear Genie. We have a lot of members here who bring new info all the time, so you may not want to give up just yet....I too would like such a thing.

    BTW, lots of apps can use the OPEN IN feature...so you can vector things off the apps like Good Reader, PDF Expert.....this may be another way to get a PDF. Apps like Pages, Numbers, etc, then to have the ability to save files in PDF format. I think that might be what the other poster was referring to by "various apps."
    Thanks. I have several of "those" apps and many work-arounds to try to mimick what one app did really well. Dropping a pdf to your ipad should be A one-touch thing. And the user community really should not tolerate that. I have the net genie app. It is bundled with their routers and hard coded in the firmware. I have even assigned dedicated secure ports to the printer problem to no avail. By a POE, it must be a network security problem.

    I appreciate your advice, most mac/pad "gurus" ask if the wifi is on! :-)
    Cheers


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Pixma printer says printer offline
    By Billyontheboat in forum iPad FAQ
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 05:28 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 01:29 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
  4. How can I download the coupon printer to my iPad for my home wireless printer?
    By Billy Hamilton in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 07:08 PM
  5. AirPrint On iOS From ANY PRINTER (No Special Printer Needed)
    By PhilSynowiec in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Search tags for this page

ipad pdf printer

,

ipad virtual pdf printer

,
ipad virtual printer
,
ipad virtual printer pdf
,

pdf printer for ipad

,
print to pdf ipad
,

virtual pdf printer for ipad

,
virtual printer for ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.