Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Running Programs in the Background

This is a discussion on Running Programs in the Background within the iPad 3 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by theTimo Actually 1GB is not 'only'. But yes, the politics of announcing iPads as 16GB etc versions, sometimes gives people a wrong ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    417 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,342
    Quote Originally Posted by theTimo View Post
    Actually 1GB is not 'only'. But yes, the politics of announcing iPads as 16GB etc versions, sometimes gives people a wrong impression of the device. After all, how many of us have 16, 32 or 64 GB of memory (RAM) in our computers..? Well, the 16 and 32 GBs might be but 64 GB...
    It only gives the wrong impression to people who don't understand computers. There is nothing wrong with saying 16, 32, and 64GB versions when referring to the iPad, as that is really what is important to the user in terms of how much information they can store on the device. The fact that the device has 1GB of RAM need not even be mentioned to the typical user. The iPad runs apps that were designed to run on it within the confines of 1GB of RAM. Mentioning both types of memory (and yes, both are memory) is where things become confusing to some people.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Further examination of the specs of the Ipad and a typical computer like the Macbook Pro shows the term "storage" used in both Ipad and Mac and in addition "memory" for the Mac.
    Why the Ipad spec did not include "memory" I can't find any reason. Is it because it matters only to the users on how much information can be stored on the device, thus the Storage specs?
    And the 1 GB does not matter?

    Anyway, what is important to note from the specs is the consistency in the use of the term "storage" and "memory" by Apple, the manufacturer. While I agree that there is nothing wrong in using storage size in specifying the Ipad, there is also nothing wrong in using memory size if it is known. But who am I to argue which one to use?

    I am just a user of the IPAD and what a better way of discussing matters about it in terms provided by Apple in order to be understood. Is the 1 GB memory important to me? Yes, because it helps in understanding what I raised in this thread. I'm not interested at the moment about the Ipad's storage size (maybe in the near future). However, if one feels that it is related to the discussion at hand, feel free to voice out your thoughts. Do one need to be computer savvy to participate and understand the thread? Do you?

  4. #13
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    216646
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cold House, Xibalba
    Posts
    61
    Slightly disagree with the 'both are memory' -portion. Hard drives on computers are seldom treated as 'memory' (excluding the temp-portion). The 16-32-64 GBs should be treated as 'strorage capacity' to avoid misunderstandings.

    But there's nothing you or I can do about it, is there?

  5. #14
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by theTimo View Post
    Slightly disagree with the 'both are memory' -portion. Hard drives on computers are seldom treated as 'memory' (excluding the temp-portion). The 16-32-64 GBs should be treated as 'strorage capacity' to avoid misunderstandings.

    But there's nothing you or I can do about it, is there?
    !00% agree.

  6. #15
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    417 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,342
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs View Post
    Why the Ipad spec did not include "memory" I can't find any reason. Is it because it matters only to the users on how much information can be stored on the device, thus the Storage specs?
    And the 1 GB does not matter?
    To the vast majority of users, yes. That the iPad 3 has 1GB of RAM really doesn't make little difference. It runs the apps that run on the device. Apps load/unload as needed. Developers plan for the availability of that memory, users don't interact with it at all. Some users do care because they just do....some would even decide to buy or not to buy based on that. Also, that 1GB of RAM could give one a general idea of the overall capabilities of the device. The fact that the 2012 iPad has 1GB is not hidden. We learned of it on the day the new iPad was announced.

    Anyway, what is important to note from the specs is the consistency in the use of the term "storage" and "memory" by Apple, the manufacturer. While I agree that there is nothing wrong in using storage size in specifying the Ipad, there is also nothing wrong in using memory size if it is known. But who am I to argue which one to use?
    I don't really get what you are saying. All the 2012 iPads have 1GB of RAM, so that is not a spec that needs to be stated when deciding amongst the different models. The RAM is listed on the spec sheets, but that is mainly for those who are concerned about how the newer model differs from the older ones. Or when comparing it to other tabs. Most users don't care.

    I am just a user of the IPAD and what a better way of discussing matters about it in terms provided by Apple in order to be understood. Is the 1 GB memory important to me? Yes, because it helps in understanding what I raised in this thread. I'm not interested at the moment about the Ipad's storage size (maybe in the near future). However, if one feels that it is related to the discussion at hand, feel free to voice out your thoughts. Do one need to be computer savvy to participate and understand the thread? Do you?
    You can discuss what you like as far as I'm concerned. But you seem to be the one concerned about the terms people use. I was just stating the truth that both the 1GB and the 16, 32, and 64GB can be referred to as memory, but the only ones that need to be pay attention to in terms of selecting a model is the storage, not the RAM. Also, regarding your question, since you really have little idea how much RAM any app or game uses, nor can you change the RAM, your point in the OP really isn't much more than curiosity. It's not like on a PC or MAC where you can increase RAM to get the ability to load more apps in RAM. And on the iPad, you can't even increase storage.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  7. #16
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    417 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,342
    Quote Originally Posted by theTimo View Post
    Slightly disagree with the 'both are memory' -portion. Hard drives on computers are seldom treated as 'memory' (excluding the temp-portion). The 16-32-64 GBs should be treated as 'strorage capacity' to avoid misunderstandings.

    But there's nothing you or I can do about it, is there?
    Does matter, they both are memory. When you turn your computer on your data is there because it is stored on memory. The routines that tell your computer, your phone, and the iPad how to start up are stored in ROM, which means read-only memory (though even these can usually be changed using special procedures and electronics, and such). When we refer to the 1GB of RAM the iPad has, we mean random-access memory, which is volatile. When you burn music to a CDRW, CD-R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc, those are all other forms of memory, and non-volatile. Flash drives, SSD are all forms of memory. Some memory is used for temporary uses (RAM) and other for more permanent uses (storage). All users may not understand the terms (nor do they need to), but the terms exist for a reason and the world isn't going to stop using terms because some people may get confused (all technical areas & industries are just full of jargon). Some stuff is important mainly for marketing, others for engineering. The worlds collide at some point. We muddle through.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  8. #17
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    To the vast majority of users, yes. That the iPad 3 has 1GB of RAM really doesn't make little difference. It runs the apps that run on the device. Apps load/unload as needed. Developers plan for the availability of that memory, users don't interact with it at all. Some users do care because they just do....some would even decide to buy or not to buy based on that. Also, that 1GB of RAM could give one a general idea of the overall capabilities of the device. The fact that the 2012 iPad has 1GB is not hidden. We learned of it on the day the new iPad was announced.
    I’m not sure whether what you have provided is true or not, I can’t find any proof to them.

    I don't really get what you are saying. All the 2012 iPads have 1GB of RAM, so that is not a spec that needs to be stated when deciding amongst the different models. The RAM is listed on the spec sheets, but that is mainly for those who are concerned about how the newer model differs from the older ones. Or when comparing it to other tabs. Most users don't care.
    It doesn’t matter whether one uses storage size or memory size in specifying the IPAD. I’m not fond of dictating on anyone which one to use.

    You can discuss what you like as far as I'm concerned. But you seem to be the one concerned about the terms people use. I was just stating the truth that both the 1GB and the 16,32, and 64GB can be referred to as memory, but the only ones that need to be pay attention to in terms of selecting a model is the storage, not the RAM. Also, regarding your question, since you really have little idea how much RAM any app or game uses, nor can you change the RAM, your point in the OP really isn't much more than curiosity. It's not like on a PC or MAC where you can increase RAM to get the ability to load more apps in RAM. And on the iPad, you can't even increase storage.
    Since it is my Thread and interest, should I not be concern about these terms so that I can get the correct response and answer from the responders? You are the only one I find in this thread who made statements using the terms that confuses me and now you are judging me that my opening of this thread is born out of my curiosity? Granting that it is curiosity as what you have alleged, so what?
    Last edited by coolstuffs; 08-16-2012 at 11:43 PM.

  9. #18
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    97693
    Liked
    858 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Michigan. USA
    Posts
    18,178
    All right folks, this is a good discussion about terminology, but we all need to step back a little and take a break.

    Would hate to see this discussion end poorly and result in closing the thread because of heated discussions.

    Thanks!

    iPad 2 ~ Wi-Fi ~ 32 GB | MacBook Air 13-inch 4 GB RAM/128 GB | Apple TV (3rd Gen) | iPod Classic 80 GB | iPod Touch 32 GB (4th Gen)

  10. #19
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by skimonkey View Post
    All right folks, this is a good discussion about terminology, but we all need to step back a little and take a break.

    Would hate to see this discussion end poorly and result in closing the thread because of heated discussions.

    Thanks!
    Can I make a request that this thread be closed? I'll just go somewhere else and find what I wanted to know.

    Thanks.

  11. #20
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    13576
    Liked
    1447 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Western NY state (USA)
    Posts
    11,055

    Running Programs in the Background

    Thread closed per OP's request.

    Marilyn
    Moderator, iPadForums.net
    Space Gray 32GB WiFi-only iPad Air & Black 32GB iPhone 5 (both jailbroken on iOS 7.0.6 w/evasi0n7)
    * * * PLEASE READ * * * Forum Rules * * * Hacking Section Rules * * * PLEASE READ * * *


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Apps running in the background?
    By ccross1959 in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM
  2. Apps running in the background
    By lneurogirl in forum iPad Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
  3. Programs stop running
    By kiss12andras in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 05:05 AM
  4. Mxtube running in the background?
    By jarell162 in forum iPad Hacking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 12:01 AM
  5. Running Programs on iPad
    By reeme in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM

Search tags for this page

how to delte programs that run in the background of an ipad
,

how to run programs in the background on ipad

,

ipad programs running in background

,
ipad programs running in backgroung
,
ipad run program in background
,

ipad showing programs running in background

,

programs running in background on ipad

,
run program in background on ipad
Click on a term to search for related topics.