Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Identify New ipad from version 2

This is a discussion on Identify New ipad from version 2 within the iPad 3 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by ziffos @theTIMO - no help whatsoever - so why even bother posting? - maybe you just want to increase your "novice" score? ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Identify New ipad from version 2

  1. #11
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by ziffos View Post
    @theTIMO - no help whatsoever - so why even bother posting? - maybe you just want to increase your "novice" score?
    @coolstuffs - thanks but specs comparisons have always been easy to obtain but of no use when I don't have both ipads at the front of me.
    @Kaykaykay - thank you for your comments above.

    If I am buying second hand - and in bulk as I do - then I need to be able to tell quickly and easily which "generation" I am looking at - I guess I am going to have to carry a micrometer to check the thickness of each iPad - not a pleasant job if I have a pile of 200 to check!!
    I'm not sure if every Ipad 3 and Ipad 2 have the same serial numbers. Tell me if I'm wrong, as far as I know, devices have different serial numbers. That is no two devices of the same model have the same sereal numbers. A Serial number can't be be determined easily unless you have phycially in front of you the device or the pertinent documentation is available. Even the manufacturer will not be able to provide you one if you did not register. Perhaps you're referring to the model number and not the serial number. Model number and serial number are two different information. The model number might be the quickest way of knowing the difference. But then again is it readily available? Whether you use the serial number or model number how will you verify them without the device physically in front of you? Granting that you have 200 of them how will you determine QUICKLY AND EASILY that what you have are really the devices that you bought?

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaykaykay View Post
    It's true that there are minor outward differences, but if you don't have two iPads to compare or cannot recognize a retina screen, then your best bet is to check the serial number. That's if you need to know for sure. If I'm just being nosy, I just ask someone whether they've got an iPad 2 or the new iPad, lol.
    Are you sure that my Ipad3 and your Ipad 3 have the same serial number?

  4. #13
    Moderator
    Member #
    131244
    Liked
    1416 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Regina,Canada
    Posts
    18,500
    I think the easiest way to tell the two apart is the display resolution. You can easily see the pixels in an iPad 2 display,while the pixels in the iPad 3 display are too small to see without magnification.
    Here is an excellent thread that explains exactly how to tell which iPad you have.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    scifan57, iPad Forums Moderator
    Please read the Forum rules.http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  5. #14
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by scifan57 View Post
    I think the easiest way to tell the two apart is the display resolution. You can easily see the pixels in an iPad 2 display,while the pixels in the iPad 3 display are too small to see without magnification.
    Here is an excellent thread that explains exactly how to tell which iPad you have.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    I agree. However, as pointed out by the scenario of Ziffos, this can't be done because these devices are not physically in front of you. Granting that it is physically available, with 200 of them as stated in the scenario, will it be QUICK and EASY to verify the resolution? Perhaps Ziffos should open a new thread with the same question and adding the specifics of what he wants for the answer.
    Last edited by coolstuffs; 08-13-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: To correct error in quoting author and suggestion.

  6. #15
    Moderator
    Member #
    131244
    Liked
    1416 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Regina,Canada
    Posts
    18,500
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs

    I agree. However, as pointed out by the previous scenario of the author, this can't be done because these devices are not physically in front of you. Granting that it is physically available, with 200 of them as stated in the scenario, will it be QUICK and EASY to verify the resolution? Maybe the author of the thread should rephrase the question and put the specifics so that it can properly address by everyone.
    The OP of this thread made no mention of not having the iPads in front of him. This possible scenario was postulated by a Kaykaykay,later poster in this thread.
    scifan57, iPad Forums Moderator
    Please read the Forum rules.http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  7. #16
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by scifan57 View Post
    The OP of this thread made no mention of not having the iPads in front of him. This possible scenario was postulated by a Kaykaykay,later poster in this thread.
    You're right. My apologies!

    Note: Corrections have been made.
    Last edited by coolstuffs; 08-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.

  8. #17
    Moderator
    Member #
    131244
    Liked
    1416 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Regina,Canada
    Posts
    18,500
    I think the answers supplied so far in this thread will enable the OP to tell what version he has,whatever his situation.
    scifan57, iPad Forums Moderator
    Please read the Forum rules.http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  9. #18
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    414 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,338
    Quote Originally Posted by scifan57 View Post
    I think the easiest way to tell the two apart is the display resolution. You can easily see the pixels in an iPad 2 display,while the pixels in the iPad 3 display are too small to see without magnification.
    Here is an excellent thread that explains exactly how to tell which iPad you have.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    If you have to check in bulk you need to look at the back of each iPad at the model number, and use the info in the link that scifan57 gives above. At lot of work, but that's how it goes.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  10. #19
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    If you have to check in bulk you need to look at the back of each iPad at the model number, and use the info in the link that scifan57 gives above. At lot of work, but that's how it goes.
    I agree. The easiest way is to use the model number but definitely not the serial number as suggested earlier for bulk inspection purposes. One suggestion that I can make, to make the job easier, is to just look for the model number at the box (if the box is provided) instead of openning it up and look for the number in the device themselves. For those with slightly impaired vision though they would need a magnifying glass to see the small prints.

  11. #20
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs View Post
    I'm not sure if every Ipad 3 and Ipad 2 have the same serial numbers. Tell me if I'm wrong, as far as I know, devices have different serial numbers. That is no two devices of the same model have the same sereal numbers. A Serial number can't be be determined easily unless you have phycially in front of you the device or the pertinent documentation is available. Even the manufacturer will not be able to provide you one if you did not register. Perhaps you're referring to the model number and not the serial number. Model number and serial number are two different information. The model number might be the quickest way of knowing the difference. But then again is it readily available? Whether you use the serial number or model number how will you verify them without the device physically in front of you? Granting that you have 200 of them how will you determine QUICKLY AND EASILY that what you have are really the devices that you bought?
    Duh, of course every iPad has its own serial number. Otherwise it wouldn't be a serial number. I posted a link above that lets anyone enter serial number, model number, etc., and find out exactly what iPad you're looking at. A serial number is a sure-fire way to check, which is why I suggested it. Up to users whether they want to use that, of course.

    The serial and model numbers are on the back of every iPad, as well as viewable in Settings.


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
  3. Unable to identify the brand of my ipad 2 keyboard case, and why it's not detected
    By r.shayto in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 09:15 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 03:47 AM

Search tags for this page

how to check ipad version 2 or 3
,

how to identify an ipad 3

,

how to identify ipad 3

,

how to identify ipad version

,

how to identify new ipad

,
how to identify the new ipad
,
identify ipad 3
,
identify ipad version
Click on a term to search for related topics.