Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

DVD to iPad 3

This is a discussion on DVD to iPad 3 within the iPad 3 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by coolstuffs A video editing software can do the splitting. I'm use to a pc, so as an example I could use MovieMaker ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DVD to iPad 3

  1. #11
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    168139
    Liked
    83 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs

    A video editing software can do the splitting. I'm use to a pc, so as an example I could use MovieMaker to split the file. Another which might be able to do it is the free converter "FreeMake video converter". IMHO showing with a split video compared to a long single video is better.
    I still cannot see the benefit of splitting the file though. It should not make a difference to the encoding time, in fact, it has taken you extra time to split it and then for the software to join it back together.
    dhewson777
    Brisbane, Australia

    iPad 2 , iPhone 4, MBA 11"
    Yes, I have windows PCs as well! (too many to list)

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    dvdcatalyst
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lelkes View Post
    Im trying to convert a 4.5 GB DVD using the discribed method. The software says the output is 6.37 GB and takes aproximatly 10 hours to convert.
    Are there any faster way?




    thanks in advance
    Peter

    Going from 4.5GB to 6.37GB is a bit strange. You might want to post a message in their forum section and ask for assistance. Unless you are using a 15 year old computer, 10 hours also seems a bit off.

    You might want to give DVD Catalyst 4 a shot. I have a guide for how to use it with the iPad3 here:

    DVD to iPad3 - Quick and Easy

    Movies from DVD should end up around 1-2GB in size (depending on the length of the movie) and if you are using a recent computer, it should run at at least 2-3x real time and if you are using a quad-core system, it will be quite a bit faster than that.

    The guide above covers just about everything, so it looks quite long, but here is a brief idea of how it works:



    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    5-Step Quick Guide:

    Step 1: Download and install DVD Catalyst 4 on your computer.



    Step 2: Start DVD Catalyst 4 and select the Apple iPad 3 profile.



    Step 3: Insert your DVD or drag your video files over onto DVD Catalyst 4.



    Step 4: Tap Go to start the conversion process.



    Step 5. Connect your iPad 3 to your computer, start iTunes and copy the file over.



    Once completed, just open the Videos App on your Apple iPad 3, and tap the movie to play it.


  4. #13
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by dhewson777 View Post
    I still cannot see the benefit of splitting the file though. It should not make a difference to the encoding time, in fact, it has taken you extra time to split it and then for the software to join it back together.
    What I'm suggesting is to split the file but not join the result into one. So instead of having one big movie file you will have several smaller sized files. Yes I agree it is really time consuming to do this. It is an option if the file under consideration is too large.

    I have'nt really converted a very large file like 4.7 Gb into another format and observed the effect when played. The largest that I have converted is 3.5 Gb. And if I choose it to be for Ipad 3 playing the movie stuttered in some portion. However, if I chose Ipad 1 the playing is ok.

  5. #14
    dvdcatalyst
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs View Post
    What I'm suggesting is to split the file but not join the result into one. So instead of having one big movie file you will have several smaller sized files. Yes I agree it is really time consuming to do this. It is an option if the file under consideration is too large.

    I have'nt really converted a very large file like 4.7 Gb into another format and observed the effect when played. The largest that I have converted is 3.5 Gb. And if I choose it to be for Ipad 3 playing the movie stuttered in some portion. However, if I chose Ipad 1 the playing is ok.
    Splitting isn't needed. I'm not sure about the exact size, but I have had movies on it (from Bluray) that were over 8GB in size, so the size isn't an issue.

    It does make it easier to test different settings though.

  6. #15
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Splitting isn't needed. I'm not sure about the exact size, but I have had movies on it (from Bluray) that were over 8GB in size, so the size isn't an issue.

    It does make it easier to test different settings though.
    How long, may I ask, did it take you to convert the 8 Gb movie to Ipad 3 format? According to OP, 4.7 Gb needs 10 hours.

  7. #16
    dvdcatalyst
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs View Post
    How long, may I ask, did it take you to convert the 8 Gb movie to Ipad 3 format? According to OP, 4.7 Gb needs 10 hours.
    Actually the 8+GB (not entirely sure how big it got, but it was at least 8GB) was directly from Bluray using DVD Catalyst 4 and AnyDVD HD (only needed if you want to do Blurays), and using my quad-core laptop, it ran a bit faster than realtime. A 2 hour movie, from Bluray, using a 1080p profile in DVD Catalyst 4 (so the original quality of the Bluray is kept, including the 1080p resolution), took about 1 1/2 hours or so. On the same system, I convert DVDs at about 7x realtime, so about 16 minutes or so for a 2 hour movie, also visually similar as the actual DVD.

    These were the settings I use for my iPad3

    iPad3 Video Settings | Tools4Movies | DVD Catalyst 4



    8GB for a DVD is not right. The DVD content itself is not even that large, and that is with the old MPEG2 compression format. iPad-optimized video uses H264 for the video format, and that offers the same visual quality as DVD at about 1/3rd of the size.

  8. #17
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    ....... was directly from Bluray using DVD Catalyst 4 and AnyDVD HD ......


    8GB for a DVD is not right....
    Does DVD Catalyst 4 or AnyDVD HD directly convert Bluray movies?

    OP made the query about the 4.5 Gb DVD and accordingly it will take 10 hours conversion. So assuming that it is a DVD with that size how long do you think for DVD Catalyst 4 to do the conversion using your system?

  9. #18
    dvdcatalyst
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs View Post
    Does DVD Catalyst 4 or AnyDVD HD directly convert Bluray movies?
    The combination of AnyDVD HD and DVD Catalyst 4 will do Bluray movies directly. As an alternative you can use MakeMKV (free) on the Bluray and then convert the created MKV file with DVD Catalyst 4 as well. The speed for both conversion methods is about the same (on my system about 1 1/2 hours for a 2 hour movie if you keep the 1080p resolution), but if you use ANyDVD HD, the conversion will run from Bluray directly, eliminating the time MakeMKV takes.


    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs View Post
    OP made the query about the 4.5 Gb DVD and accordingly it will take 10 hours conversion. So assuming that it is a DVD with that size how long do you think for DVD Catalyst 4 to do the conversion using your system?
    As I mentioned earlier, a DVD conversion on my system with a video quality that is nearly identical to that of the original DVD runs at about 7x real-time, so 16 minutes rather than 10 hours. The size of the created video file will also be considerably less, depending on the length of the movie between 1-2GB.

    Using the settings I linked to in my previous post, the conversion will actually just use what is needed to achieve the best quality, which means that if you are converting slower movies, like romance/comedy, rather than fast action movies, the created video files will be even smaller. I have video files created from 2 hour movies that are identical in quality as the original DVD, and are only 500MB in size.
    AQ_OC likes this.

  10. #19
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    418 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,343
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstuffs View Post
    A video editing software can do the splitting. I'm use to a pc, so as an example I could use MovieMaker to split the file. Another which might be able to do it is the free converter "FreeMake video converter". IMHO showing with a split video compared to a long single video is better.
    I cannot see why anyone would be splitting files to watch movies, especially to watch them on a tiny screen. This is definitely NOT better. Just use handbrake or the other program mentioned. I routinely convert my blu-rays down to a single file less than 2GB if I intend to watch them on an iPad. DVDs can be much smaller than that.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  11. #20
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    212021
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    The combination of AnyDVD HD and DVD Catalyst 4 will do Bluray movies directly. As an alternative you can use MakeMKV (free) on the Bluray and then convert the created MKV file with DVD Catalyst 4 as well. The speed for both conversion methods is about the same (on my system about 1 1/2 hours for a 2 hour movie if you keep the 1080p resolution), but if you use ANyDVD HD, the conversion will run from Bluray directly, eliminating the time MakeMKV takes.

    As I mentioned earlier, a DVD conversion on my system with a video quality that is nearly identical to that of the original DVD runs at about 7x real-time, so 16 minutes rather than 10 hours. The size of the created video file will also be considerably less, depending on the length of the movie between 1-2GB.

    Using the settings I linked to in my previous post, the conversion will actually just use what is needed to achieve the best quality, which means that if you are converting slower movies, like romance/comedy, rather than fast action movies, the created video files will be even smaller. I have video files created from 2 hour movies that are identical in quality as the original DVD, and are only 500MB in size.
    I have MakeMKV to convert Bluray movies. It only takes minutes to do the conversion to MKV format. However, converting the MKV file to Ipad 3 takes several hours to accomplish.
    Also as a reference, I tried converting a 3 hours and 20 min 3.03 Gb DVD movie to Ipad 3 format using Freemake. It took my system to do the conversion approximately 35 min.


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

dvd to ipad 3

,
dvd to ipad 3 handbrake
,
handbrake dvd to ipad 3
,
handbrake for ipad 3
,

handbrake ipad 3

,

handbrake ipad 3 settings

,

handbrake settings for ipad 3

,
how to play dvd on ipad 3
Click on a term to search for related topics.