Thank you in advance for your help.
I have searched a few places and cannot find this particular problem, so other solutions have not worked.
I am unable to text anyone except the two people I know who also have iMessage/ios5 on their device.
My device/issue circumstances:
* I have iPad2, and according to current "about" info, my software is up to date.
* this has always been the case from day one of the software upgrade to ios5
* if I turn imessage OFF, then as soon as I go into the message app, I get a pop-up window that prompts me to sign back into iMessage and activate it before I can continue.
* my Message settings controls have NO option to "send as SMS" if iMessage is not available. None. I have seen sxreen shots of this setting option,and I flat out don't have it.
* if I try to text someone from iMessage, and they do not have iMessage, when I choose them from my contacts the app does a search and then responds with a warning "!" and says "this person is not registered with iMessage"
* I also have iPhone 4s with current software and do not have these problems on my phone.
* I have Verizon as my wi-fi carrier. I am wi-fi only.
Any help is appreciated.
It is very annoying to only be able to text two people from apples official text app. And is likewise annoying to not seem to have this "send as SMS" option that would likely solve my issue.