Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Not yet an iPad owner, but have question re: "taking notes". (Thx!)

This is a discussion on Not yet an iPad owner, but have question re: "taking notes". (Thx!) within the iPad 2 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Like the title bar says, I don't have an iPad yet, so please bear with me! I am still debating *which* tablet I will get; ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Not yet an iPad owner, but have question re: "taking notes". (Thx!)

  1. #1
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    152999
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13

    Not yet an iPad owner, but have question re: "taking notes". (Thx!)

    Like the title bar says, I don't have an iPad yet, so please bear with me! I am still debating *which* tablet I will get; but the iPad2 seems to be strongly leading the pack so far!

    One feature that is important to me is the ability to quickly and easily "take notes", at meetings, seminars, etc. Right now I use the swype keyboard on my (android) phone and LOVE that.

    Is there a free app for swype (or similar) for the iPad? And what would be the best "note taking"/word processing app?

    All thoughts, comments, opinions welcome! THANK YOU!

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    176442
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    32
    There seem to be a few in the store, but they all get pretty bad reviews, with one at least appearing to be a fake app from the reviews. (How that got past Apple I don't know)

    There are other fantastic note taking apps though, One I just downloaded ($1.99, not free) is call Tapose. It lets you type notes, then you can swipe and have a split screen to browse the web in one pane and take notes in the other (i.e. both onscreen at same time). it's actually pretty cool.

  4. #3
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    152999
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by intro2ipad View Post
    There seem to be a few in the store, but they all get pretty bad reviews, with one at least appearing to be a fake app from the reviews. (How that got past Apple I don't know)

    There are other fantastic note taking apps though, One I just downloaded ($1.99, not free) is call Tapose. It lets you type notes, then you can swipe and have a split screen to browse the web in one pane and take notes in the other (i.e. both onscreen at same time). it's actually pretty cool.
    Thanks, Dale, for the reply. I don't know why I said "free" app in my first post; of course I like free apps , but I will also happily pay for one if it's what I need.

    What about a SWYPE app (free or for-fee) -- is there such a thing for the iPad?

    THANK YOU!

  5. #4
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    176442
    Liked
    3 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    32
    that's what I meant by the "a few in the store", they're there, but seem to get bad reviews.

  6. #5
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    152999
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    Oh - I didn't catch that in your first post, I'm sorry!

    And that's a bummer that there's no decent, dependable SWYPE app. Bah humbug!!!

  7. #6
    iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    175844
    Liked
    14 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    466
    I think you should also give some consideration to the new iPad 3 - dictation is a great way to enter notes. Doesn't replace a good keyboard but it's just another option to have.

    You may also have to consider just keep using your android phone for taking notes instead of a tablet - it really would not buy you much if you already carry your phone with you to whip out your iPad to take notes unless you have room to set up a physical keyboard. The tablet excels at reading and looking up information - and with a bluetooth keyboard and dictation is not too shabby at entering it either - but not on the screen.

  8. #7
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    47761
    Liked
    4 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiskers View Post
    Oh - I didn't catch that in your first post, I'm sorry!

    And that's a bummer that there's no decent, dependable SWYPE app. Bah humbug!!!
    Do you mean with a stylus?

    I use a Bluetooth keyboard to type and I also bought the bamboo stylus for "hand written" notes. The case I have (a targus one) has a stylus holder, it's out of the way and always available!

    I tried a few word processing apps, and the one by apple (pages) I surprisingly found to be the best. That and noteshelf work as a good combo for me..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  9. #8
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    152999
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by zphone View Post
    I think you should also give some consideration to the new iPad 3 - dictation is a great way to enter notes. Doesn't replace a good keyboard but it's just another option to have.

    You may also have to consider just keep using your android phone for taking notes instead of a tablet - it really would not buy you much if you already carry your phone with you to whip out your iPad to take notes unless you have room to set up a physical keyboard. The tablet excels at reading and looking up information - and with a bluetooth keyboard and dictation is not too shabby at entering it either - but not on the screen.
    Z,
    Thanks for the reply. By dictation, do you mean speaking aloud? Very cool -- but the use I am looking for would be in public meetings, seminars, etc., so not an option. (Well, not unless I really wanna alienate the other attendees, LOL!!!)

  10. #9
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    152999
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by milkmilklemonade View Post
    Do you mean with a stylus?

    I use a Bluetooth keyboard to type and I also bought the bamboo stylus for "hand written" notes. The case I have (a targus one) has a stylus holder, it's out of the way and always available!

    I tried a few word processing apps, and the one by apple (pages) I surprisingly found to be the best. That and noteshelf work as a good combo for me..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks, MML, for the reply.

    A bluetooth keyboard is a neat option, but typically I would be sitting in a chair without any desk or writing space besides my own lap, so that probably wouldn't be too workable.

    Yes, thinking of using a stylus, or just my fingers "swyping" the virtual keyboard, was what I had in mind.

    What do you mean by "hand written notes", please?

  11. #10
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    47761
    Liked
    4 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiskers View Post
    Thanks, MML, for the reply.

    A bluetooth keyboard is a neat option, but typically I would be sitting in a chair without any desk or writing space besides my own lap, so that probably wouldn't be too workable.

    Yes, thinking of using a stylus, or just my fingers "swyping" the virtual keyboard, was what I had in mind.

    What do you mean by "hand written notes", please?
    Some cases have a keyboard built in...you might also want to look at the asus transformer/prime, but that's android.

    YouTube noteshelf. It's a very nice note taking app..you write directly on the screen, just as you do paper. If I was in the situation you're describing (no room besides lap) I would use noteshelf plus a stylus. I use it for taking notes in class, the organization is very well done..you basically create different notebooks, you can assign different paper types, even mix and match (ie, graph, wide ruled, blank, legal ruled, etc)..theres a nifty feature where it zooms in, so you can write bigger on the screen, but it turns out smaller on the paper and looks quite nice. There are numerous highlighter, pen tip size, colors, etc options - its a very spectacular app, and one of the reasons I switched over from Android.

    It's essentially like having a note pad and a bag full of markers and different colored pens with you. Except everything is portable and the notes are always with you
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by milkmilklemonade; 03-29-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Mnv likes this.


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
  3. HELP. My iTunes are taking forever to "Update files on iPad" when i transfer ebooks.
    By Vaden15 in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
  4. Best note taking / "whiteboard" app?
    By Jolek in forum iPad Apps
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
  5. colour coded outlook calendar / synching "notes"
    By Lisette in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Search tags for this page

best note taking app for ipad 2 2012

,
best note taking apps for ipad 2
,
ipad swype app
,

note taking apps for ipad 2

,
swype app for ipad
,

taking notes on ipad 2

,
tapose
,
type notes ipad 2
Click on a term to search for related topics.