Confused abt iPad 2 Multitasking
This is a discussion on Confused abt iPad 2 Multitasking within the iPad 2 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Okay, I don't know much about multi-tasking in iPad 2 and I assume that it doesn't work on my Device Properly.
Here's what I think ...
Post By twerppoet
Confused abt iPad 2 Multitasking
Okay, I don't know much about multi-tasking in iPad 2 and I assume that it doesn't work on my Device Properly.
Here's what I think should happen that, If I m using Facebook/Yahoo Messenger and I Switch to another app by multitasking gesture I should be notified by a pop up message or banner notification when I get a New Chat Message in yahoo or notification in Facebook.
but this never happens to me , If I switch the application then it gets closed for me . when I switch back to yahoo I have to again login.
11-18-2011 12:17 PM
Multitasking has to be supported in the application. It's not a default behavior. The programmer has to code keep alive behavior in the application.
You may also need to check the notifications in the Settings app.
Posted with TapaTalk for iPhone
I'm not sure what kind of notifications are supported, but FaceBook does have push notifications. You can set what you want under Settings > Notifications (iOS 5 only). Once you do that it won't matter whether you have the FaceBook app loaded in memory or not.
As for multitasking, the iPad has very limited multitasking. It is similar, but not quite a limited, as the old task switching methods the predated modern multitasking. Most apps and their functions are frozen when you open another app (provided the developer supports it). They just sit in RAM waiting for you to come back. If the iPad starts to run out of RAM the older apps are purged and only their last run state is saved.
This is to keep your device with it's limited RAM and CPU from getting bogged down. Even netbooks typically have more power, and more than two or three open apps on them can have a heavy impact on performance.
There are only a few tasks that will actually run in the background. Here is the list and what they do.
iOS 4 delivers seven new multitasking services that allow your apps to perform tasks in the background while preserving battery life and performance. These multitasking services include:
- Background audio - Allows your app to play audio continuously. So customers can listen to your app while they surf the web, play games, and more.
- Voice over IP - Your VoIP apps can now be even better. Users can now receive VoIP calls and have conversations while using another app. Your users can even receive calls when their phones are locked in their pocket.
- Background location - Navigation apps can now continue to guide users who are listening to their iPods, or using other apps. iOS 4 also provides a new and battery-efficient way to monitor location when users move between cell towers. This is a great way for your social networking apps to keep track of users and their friends' locations.
- Push notifications - Receive alerts from your remote servers even when your app isn't running.
- Local notifications - Your app can now alert users of scheduled events and alarms in the background, no servers required.
- Task finishing - If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task.
- Fast app switching - All developers should take advantage of fast app switching, which allows users to leave your app and come right back to where they were when they left - no more having to reload the app.
By groundzero in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM
By bel79 in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 10-08-2011, 09:30 AM
By CatJ in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
Last Post: 03-04-2011, 01:42 AM
By princs in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
Last Post: 12-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Search tags for this page
apple ipad 2 multitasking
ipad 2 multitasking
ipad 2 multitasking bar
ipad 2 task switcher
multitasking doesn't work on ipad 2
multitasking in ipad 2
multitasking on ipad 2
Click on a term to search for related topics.