Maybe buying an Ipad2 - some questions.
This is a discussion on Maybe buying an Ipad2 - some questions. within the iPad 2 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Hi
I don't actually own an Ipad2 yet, just seriously considering one for my birthday next month. Hope it's OK to ask some questions here ...
Maybe buying an Ipad2 - some questions.
I don't actually own an Ipad2 yet, just seriously considering one for my birthday next month. Hope it's OK to ask some questions here first. I would be looking at the Wifi only version as I would mostly use it at home or via the Wifi hotspot in my phone (HTC Desire Android). What I wanted to ask was:
1. Apart from the obvious (unable to get online without Wifi) is there any difference between the Wifi-only and the 3G model as I can't see any?
2. There is much talk on here re lack of Flash support and from the look of it there are ways around it which I could investigate later. What I'm not sure about is where I would miss it? Although my phone is Flash-enabled it doesn't exactly tell me when it's using Flash so I don't know whether I'd miss it or not?
3. I am in the UK and would like to use the Ipad as a spare TV in a room that doesn't have a TV point. I have the Sky Sports package so could use Sky Go. Can anyone tell me whether you get a good picture? The one on my laptop is a bit grainy but acceptable.
4. I can't see me needing to print from my laptop too often as I would probably stick to the laptop for Word docs, photo printing etc but I understand that there is an app which I could use with my Canon wireless printer. Please can anyone confirm?
5. It looks as if Apple have it all sewn up price-wise and there is a set price fr the Ipad2 but, just in case, does anyone know of a good deal anywhere please?
I'm sure I'll have loads more questions but I'm sure that's enough for now. Thanks in advance for any help.
09-05-2011 09:25 AM
Can answer a few of your questions.
Originally Posted by Pinmac
1. You won't have built-in GPS with a wi-fi iPad. However, since you have an arguably better GPS application in your Android phone, you may not miss it. Furthermore, you can add GPS functionality via a third party hardware solution (at least in the US) or you may find that the GPS in your phone can be used in place of the location services in the iPad.
2. You'll probably encounter a number of websites and web-based applications (e.g. games) that will fail to display on the iPad. IMO it's annoying but not a major problem. And in view of the huge sales of the iPad and the emergence of alternate software technologies it's likely to be even less of a problem as time goes by.
3. Can't speak to the specifics of SKY in the UK. The iPad provides a gorgeous picture for what I stream (HBO and PBS in the US), but "graininess" may have more to do with quality/speed of your signal or the rendering of your current hardware. Since you already have a subscription to the sports package, you might try accessing it at an Apple Store if one is convenient for you.
4. I don't print from my iPad. Instead I transfer files to the "cloud" and access them from my PC.
5. Again, can't speak specifically about the UK but you may be able to save a few pounds or get some other consideration from a retailer, especially if you're in some sort of "loyalty" program. But in general, you won't save much if anything. If you find a deal that appears to offer big savings, tread VERY carefully.
If you go for the WiFi only model, then you'll only be able to get online when you're in range of a WiFi hotspot. With the 3G model, you'll be able to get online wherever there's a cellular signal - which are generally far more prevalent.
There is no real way around the Flash issue though most Members use a remote desktop application, such as Splashtop, to access their PC and host the Flash content there.
Sky works great on the iPad but it ultimately depends upon the bandwidth of your broadband connection. The 'grainyness' is due to a poor broadband connection generally.
Absolutely you can print from the iPad - for that printer the (PC) app 'Fingerprint' is the way to go from Collubus Software. There's a free, limited-time version too, so you can try without any risk.
There are plenty of Word compatible apps for the iPad - check out Pages which reads .doc and .docx files.
The only 'deals' as far as I'm aware, are contracts from cellular operators such as Orange where they supply the iPad at a reduced price in return for you signing a cellular contract for a couple of years. Be aware of purchasing apparently new iPads off eBay - there are many scams there where locked Orange iPads are being sold.
Thanks to both of you (can't locate a "Thanks" button?). I hadn't realised about the GPS but you're right about the GPS on my phone being good and I don't think I would need it on the Ipad. Looks like the Flash "issue" wouldn't be too much of a problem for me and good to see that printing would also not be an issue.
My broadband connection is through Sky on the Unlimited "up to 20Mb" though in practice I get around 10Mb which is pretty good and very stable. So hopefully SkyGo would look good.
Being an "Apple virgin" apart from my son's Ipod which I haven't been allowed to play with much, I hadn't even realised that there were Word-compatible apps so thanks for the tip!
I'm pretty sure that I won't need the 3G as I can use my phone's hotspot so it looks like there are no deals to be done just a decision about whether to buy and, if so, where.
Apple store, they are just stunning, if you can get to one try it out.
Originally Posted by Pinmac
Get one m8, you'll love it!
You'll never know how much you'll love it until you get it
Please read the Forum Rules
iPad Air 128gb Wifi/Cellular - iPad 2 64gb Wifi/Cellular - iPad Mini 32gb Wifi/Cellular - iPhone 5 - Apple TV - MacBook Pro 15" - Time Capsule - Airport Express
My company offers employees discounts on many things, including iPads, but the discount for an iPad wasn't significant. Seem to remember it being no more than 20 bucks off. My credit card company offers iPads as one of its many freebies with enough reward points; yours might, too. Of course, you have to have a lot of bonus points.
The hd desire provides an excellent wifi hotspot. I have very little bother finding wifi spots (although I am with BT so can use the BTFon and Openzone sites for free), but make use of the Desire hotspot when necessary.
Apple is on quidco. If you have a quidco account or sign up for one, you'll get 3 % cash back from them. Tesco often have deals of £5 off if you spend over £50 for example, and you could cash in any club card vouchers you may have.
If you can get to an apple store, i'd really recommend that. There are loads of iPads all set up to have a play with, and they have no problem with people popping in to the store just to have a play or tap in to their very fast in store wifi! They also run excellent free iPad classes. I've been to a few now, including one on how to use Pages, Number and Keynotes, which as a previously Apple virgin, I found invaluable.
I don't know anything about Sky, but you can watch live tv on the confusingly named tvcatchup.com, and of course have access to all the tv catch up sites like BBC iplayer. The picture is incredible.
Run, don't walk, to get your iPad. It is without doubt the best pressie i've ever been given and I can't believe how much I use it at home, on journeys, for work, for play, for everything.
Thanks everyone especially Jockscrap for the detailed answer. I went to my local(ish!) Apple Store and had a play and asked some questions. The assistant there let me check that my Wifi hotspot showed up on the Ipad2 so that helped. I didn't know about the Apple classes, that would be something I would be interested in.
Good idea on Tesco as I currently have a voucher for 3 x Clubcard points and I think that would get me about £33 in points which I can treble again if I spend it on the right deal. Alternatively, I have £110 in Nectar points which I could spend at Amazon except that they are more expensive than anywhere else!
Thanks again for all the responses.
By giorgoc in forum iPad General Discussions
Last Post: 06-10-2011, 02:56 PM
By extendedforecast in forum iPad 2 Forum
Last Post: 05-25-2011, 05:35 PM
By 369 in forum iPad 2 Forum
Last Post: 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM
By ladyluck in forum iPad 2 Forum
Last Post: 04-25-2011, 12:58 PM
By nhudgell in forum iPad 2 Forum
Last Post: 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Search tags for this page
android phone as hotspot
questions to ask when buying a ipad
questions to ask when buying a used ipad
save files from ipad to pc collubus
what to ask when buying an ipad 2
what to look for when buying a used ipad 2
what to look for when buying used ipad2
Click on a term to search for related topics.