Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

iPad 2 glass much more durable

This is a discussion on iPad 2 glass much more durable within the iPad 2 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; Originally Posted by Demandarin Ipad2 uses the exact same gorilla glass as the original. Only difference is that it's thinner. It was said most people ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    41271
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Demandarin View Post
    Ipad2 uses the exact same gorilla glass as the original. Only difference is that it's thinner. It was said most people would believe the thinner glass would make it more susceptible to breakage but not really. It was a bunch of scientific reasons they said the thinner glass is just as strong, one reason being that the panel is now glued to the ipad2 vs. The ipad1 glass held on by clips ;-)

    Sent from my iPad using iPF
    IHS iSuppli Teardown Reveals the iPad 2

    "“The concurrent release of the iPad 2 and the new Dragontrail Glass technology from Asahi Glass Co. of Japan has led to speculation that Asahi may be the supplier of this durable new glass,” Keller said."

  2. Ads


  3. #12
    Banned
    Member #
    10565
    Liked
    21 times
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by TC93
    IHS iSuppli Teardown Reveals the iPad 2

    "“The concurrent release of the iPad 2 and the new Dragontrail Glass technology from Asahi Glass Co. of Japan has led to speculation that Asahi may be the supplier of this durable new glass,” Keller said."
    Speculation, not facts. Either way, gorilla glass or the dragontail glass are great. ;-)

    Sent from my iPad using iPF

  4. #13
    Banned
    Member #
    10565
    Liked
    21 times
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    1,251
    I just saw some vids on the comparison on YouTube for ifixit. Damn...lol. Ipad1 glass is good and flexible but the ipad2 glass seems way more flexible. Hmm...very interesting. Either way, both are great for protection but from what the vids are showing, ipad2 glass does seem stronger. Maybe the flexibility does make it less prone to breakage. Good stuff!

    Sent from my iPad using iPF

  5. #14
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    39643
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyleo
    So wrong dude! Same glass

    Sent from my iPad using iPF
    Not according to what I've read online. What tests have you conducted?

  6. #15
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    27282
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkio

    Drop a heavy crystal wine glass and an acrylic wine glass and see which one shatters. Even though the crystal is much thicker, it has no "give", the acrylic material is more flexible.
    That is by no means a fair comparison. They're two completely different materials.

    Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

  7. #16
    iPad Ninja
    Member #
    5787
    Liked
    22 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    2,282
    Lol Who cares? As long as it can take abuse like that I'm happy

    Just hope I never have to test it.........

  8. #17
    iPad Master!
    Member #
    36745
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by the_john View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkio

    Drop a heavy crystal wine glass and an acrylic wine glass and see which one shatters. Even though the crystal is much thicker, it has no "give", the acrylic material is more flexible.
    That is by no means a fair comparison. They're two completely different materials.

    Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF
    When you make the glass 27% thinner it becomes a different material for the intended use. Plus, who has any proof that the glass is the same as the last version? The only facts seem to be the video test which definitely shows completely different behavior of the 2 pieces of glass, whatever the reason.

  9. #18
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    27282
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkio

    When you make the glass 27% thinner it becomes a different material for the intended use. Plus, who has any proof that the glass is the same as the last version? The only facts seem to be the video test which definitely shows completely different behavior of the 2 pieces of glass, whatever the reason.
    But in your example, you compared thick glass to thin plastic. Major difference there.

    Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

  10. #19
    iPad Master!
    Member #
    36745
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by the_john View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkio

    When you make the glass 27% thinner it becomes a different material for the intended use. Plus, who has any proof that the glass is the same as the last version? The only facts seem to be the video test which definitely shows completely different behavior of the 2 pieces of glass, whatever the reason.
    But in your example, you compared thick glass to thin plastic. Major difference there.
    Indeed. I was comparing 2 materials, one much more flexible than the other and how flexibility in materials makes a difference in how easily they break.

    The video demonstrates how much more durable a flexible panel of glass is to one that's more rigid. I had no idea that the iPad 2 glass could be depressed and bent 2 inches without breaking. Pretty amazing IMO.

  11. #20
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    85234
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    1
    I don't have any facts about durability but I like the ipad 2thus far. My 3yr old carries it around using the crayola app. He is not careful by any means. I don't use it that much but have dropped it several times. Also, I accidentally stepped on it after night of plant vs zombies. The cameras are terrible; not worth installing into the device. Not having a flash player ruins most of my web experience. Mostly, I have a $700 coloring book. Hey you can't put a price on peace and quiet.


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. You know that little magnifying glass we use....
    By SweetPoison in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. House of glass
    By Mmm in forum iPad Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
  3. G.O.C Glass Orb Beats em all
    By iPad-Sweden in forum iPad Wallpapers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
  4. Most durable cases?
    By Dr.Gee in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Search tags for this page

how durable is ipad
,
how durable is ipad 2
,
how durable is ipad 2 screen
,

how durable is the ipad 2

,
how durable is the ipad 2 screen
,
ipad 2 glass durability
,
ipad 2 gorilla glass
,
ipad 2 screen durability
Click on a term to search for related topics.