Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Knitting a cover for my ipad 2... I think I have the magnet figured out!

This is a discussion on Knitting a cover for my ipad 2... I think I have the magnet figured out! within the iPad 2 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; I'm knitting a felt case for my iPad 2. It's just temporary until the bambo0 case I ordered comes (yes, I'm getting the case by ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    36656
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    90

    Knitting a cover for my ipad 2... I think I have the magnet figured out!

    I'm knitting a felt case for my iPad 2. It's just temporary until the bambo0 case I ordered comes (yes, I'm getting the case by GROVE , I'll post a review when it comes.)

    The back of my case will be cotton knit and the front will be felted wool, trimmed to be shed-free. I think I have the magnets figured out, and I'll use them in my case design so when I slip the ipad in it tuns off. I need to felt the magnets in to the cloth I'm knitting so they don't scratch the screen.

    I used a small fridge magnet to sleep and wake the ipad, it only works in one very specific spot... the rest of the magnets seem to be for holding the apple cover closed-- I'm excited to see how 3rd-party vendors and crafters like myself use these magnets! For one thing, they will help keep my ipad snugly inside of the case. I think the Apple covers are nice... but they are a bit boring and generic for my taste. I want something that feels natural in my hands... and I want something that protects the back from scratches in my bag.

    I'll post a photo when I'm done with the project.



    Anyone else making a case?
    Last edited by Futurebird; 03-11-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Spelling errors!

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    iPF Legend
    Member #
    27654
    Liked
    119 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,248
    This is such a great idea! I'd love to see a photo when it's finished.

    Tim
    Scotland

  4. #3
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    37707
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    fmmrz5@mail.missouri.edu
    Posts
    57
    I thought a review somewhere forewarned not to use standard fridge magnets

  5. #4
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    15631
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by fmmrz5
    I thought a review somewhere forewarned not to use standard fridge magnets
    The only kind of magnet I would watch out for are the super-powerful neodymium magnets, which are extremely strong and I would never let near any device. Otherwise, the ordinary earth magnets you find everywhere should work just fine.
    32GB WiFi

  6. #5
    iPad Fan!
    Member #
    37738
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    mikeinrichmond@gmail.com
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tzimisce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fmmrz5
    I thought a review somewhere forewarned not to use standard fridge magnets
    The only kind of magnet I would watch out for are the super-powerful neodymium magnets, which are extremely strong and I would never let near any device. Otherwise, the ordinary earth magnets you find everywhere should work just fine.
    +1...I'd be surprised to find out that anything but a big fridge magnet is in the 'smart' covers..

  7. #6
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    34459
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    91
    I like the look of the grove case. The pattern on the leather looks cool.

    I'd like to see a photo of the finished homemade case. Everyone I've tried ends up looking so dodgy and I never have faith in the protective capabilities!

  8. #7
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    36656
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by 8nobody8
    I like the look of the grove case. The pattern on the leather looks cool.

    I'd like to see a photo of the finished homemade case. Everyone I've tried ends up looking so dodgy and I never have faith in the protective capabilities!
    I complete the case. I ended up not using the magnets since I could not keep them still enough... Hence they turned the iPad off and on randomly... I'm going to try again... But I need to get some very very stiff felting material. Let me see if I can post a photo... It's pretty much a big iPod sock with a button and some plastic quilted inside for stiffness.

    It will do till my grove case comes... And maybe by then I'll know how to get a stiff enough cloth so that my design works...

  9. #8
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    36656
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    90
    Ok here are the photos. It's not super fancy but it's thick and soft and reenforced with a stiff piece of plastic quilted inside, (I used some pretty Japanese fabric from my stash... Then got all misty eyed thinking of the tragedy there... Such a beautiful city... But I digress...) I had the magnets in there too, and it would turn on when removed and off when slipped in... I was so excited! But sadly the elasticity of the fabric would make it turn on if I shifted it in my bag too ... So magnets have been removed.

    At least I have a place to keep it, till I sort this out, I'm happy with the colors and texture, and the fabric keeps the screen a little cleaner.

    I'll call this version 0.5 ... Next up...1.0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knitting a cover for my ipad 2... I think I have the magnet figured out!-image-3497363300.jpg   Knitting a cover for my ipad 2... I think I have the magnet figured out!-image-3189645901.jpg  

  10. #9
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    34459
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Futurebird
    Ok here are the photos. It's not super fancy but it's thick and soft and reenforced with a stiff piece of plastic quilted inside, (I used some pretty Japanese fabric from my stash... Then got all misty eyed thinking of the tragedy there... Such a beautiful city... But I digress...) I had the magnets in there too, and it would turn on when removed and off when slipped in... I was so excited! But sadly the elasticity of the fabric would make it turn on if I shifted it in my bag too ... So magnets have been removed.

    At least I have a place to keep it, till I sort this out, I'm happy with the colors and texture, and the fabric keeps the screen a little cleaner.

    I'll call this version 0.5 ... Next up...1.0
    I love the colors! Well done. Looks great. Should keep you i baby safe and sound

  11. #10
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    5595
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    120
    I think you did a great job. I love to see people doing anything custom with their iPads, and especially pushing innovation. Even though a magnet might not seem like a big deal to some people, I think it's exactly the kind of thing that pushes technology and innovation.


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Post Your iPad Cover Designs Here!
    By Ipad Designer in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
  2. Cover Orange HD Gets Fruity on iPad
    By Maura in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 10:33 PM
  4. change the iBooks Cover on the iPad ?
    By Smith360 in forum iBooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
  5. Marware eco vue magnet affects iPad?
    By Obfuscation in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Search tags for this page

felted ipad case knitting pattern
,
felted ipad case pattern
,
felted knitting pattern ipad cover
,
free knitted ipad cover
,
knit ipad cover free pattern
,
knitted ipad cover
,

knitted ipad cover pattern

,
noro ipad knitted cover pattern
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread