Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Starting to lose interest in iPad 2.

This is a discussion on Starting to lose interest in iPad 2. within the iPad 2 Forum forums, part of the Apple iPad Discussions category; What Apple people don't realize about pricing is that Android tablets might LAUNCH at $600 for a wifi version, but within a couple months they ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62
  1. #21
    iPad Master!
    Member #
    20527
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    404
    What Apple people don't realize about pricing is that Android tablets might LAUNCH at $600 for a wifi version, but within a couple months they will be selling for $450 or less. Apple maintains its price point for a year. No Android manufacturer does that.

  2. Ads


  3. #22
    Banned
    Member #
    428
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Japan and Seattle
    Posts
    1,131
    True, prices will drop shortly after release, just as they have in the past.

    That's the good thing about competition, forces manufacturers to compete with each other. Apple knows it has enough loyal followers so they don't concern themselves with adjusting prices based on the market.

  4. #23
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    15631
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,078
    Apple have had pretty much the touch-tablet market for a whole year to themselves, and already shipped a bazillion units of product worldwide.

    Any contender coming into the market and going up against that market share is like going into a game of soccer already six goals down, notwithstanding how their product price and features stack up against the iPad. They can offer alternative products and try to carve out what's left of the market - but that iPad user base who are already invested, financially and emotionally, aren't going to just abandon it that easily.
    Last edited by tzimisce; 02-18-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    32GB WiFi

  5. #24
    Banned
    Member #
    428
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Japan and Seattle
    Posts
    1,131
    Just give it time. Just like Android phones have been chipping away at the iPhone's market share, tablets will do the same. No single tablet will outsell iPad outright, not with the huge lead the iPad has established.

    Its not like every single person who desires a tablet computer already has an iPad. It's a huge market, and it's nowhere near saturated yet.

  6. #25
    iPad Master!
    Member #
    20527
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by tzimisce View Post
    Apple have had pretty much the touch-tablet market for a whole year to themselves, and already shipped a bazillion units of product worldwide.

    Any contender coming into the market and going up against that market share is like going into a game of soccer already six goals down, notwithstanding how their product price and features stack up against the iPad. They can offer alternative products and try to carve out what's left of the market - but that iPad user base who are already invested, financially and emotionally, aren't going to just abandon it that easily.
    They won't abandon it easily. There will be pressure on power users though when Android tablets are quad core monsters by holiday season 2011 and the iPad 2 is either a fast single core or slow dual core with a refresh 7-8 months away. And there will be pressure when there are relatively adequate $200 Android tablets selling at best buy.

  7. #26
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    15631
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbike81 View Post
    Just give it time. Just like Android phones have been chipping away at the iPhone's market share, tablets will do the same. No single tablet will outsell iPad outright, not with the huge lead the iPad has established.
    Time will not work to the advantage of its competitors, I think, given the massive head start which Apple has. Alternative products will take away some of the market share, sure, but I just can't see them relinquishing that lead. Apple has a first-mover advantage in a product niche which it essentially created for itself, plus there's the halo effect of their brand name on top of that.

    Furthermore, the diversity of alternative products will only dilute their respective market share, e.g. let's say three competing Android tablets enter the market at about the same time. They are not just going up against Apple, but each other as well - it's a really tough market to breach.

    Just to illustrate quickly, I'm taking a look at Amazon's top ten bestselling MP3 players, which is a mature market as the iPod was first launched in 2001. Only two products in that list are non-Apple products, in sixth and tenth place respectively (80% market share to Apple); more importantly, the top five bestsellers are Apple.

    If you expand that list to the top twenty, you get eight non-Apple products (60% market share) - but four of them are dead last in the 17-20th place. And we look at the top thirty products, ten are non-Apple, so their market share goes up to 67%. That size of market share in any business is amazing, and ten years on, Apple's competitors still have not been able to dislodge the iPod in that space. I suspect they may be facing a similar challenge in the tablet space as well.
    32GB WiFi

  8. #27
    Banned
    Member #
    428
    Liked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Japan and Seattle
    Posts
    1,131
    People said Android phones would never catch up to the iPhone, but they have, just needed time.

    You have your predictions and I have mine, only time will tell which one turns out to be correct.

  9. #28
    iPad Master!
    Member #
    20527
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by tzimisce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbike81 View Post
    Just give it time. Just like Android phones have been chipping away at the iPhone's market share, tablets will do the same. No single tablet will outsell iPad outright, not with the huge lead the iPad has established.
    Time will not work to the advantage of its competitors, I think, given the massive head start which Apple has. Alternative products will take away some of the market share, sure, but I just can't see them relinquishing that lead. Apple has a first-mover advantage in a product niche which it essentially created for itself, plus there's the halo effect of their brand name on top of that.

    Furthermore, the diversity of alternative products will only dilute their respective market share, e.g. let's say three competing Android tablets enter the market at about the same time. They are not just going up against Apple, but each other as well - it's a really tough market to breach.

    Just to illustrate quickly, I'm taking a look at Amazon's top ten bestselling MP3 players, which is a mature market as the iPod was first launched in 2001. Only two products in that list are non-Apple products, in sixth and tenth place respectively (80% market share to Apple); more importantly, the top five bestsellers are Apple.

    If you expand that list to the top twenty, you get eight non-Apple products (60% market share) - but four of them are dead last in the 17-20th place. And we look at the top thirty products, ten are non-Apple, so their market share goes up to 67%. That size of market share in any business is amazing, and ten years on, Apple's competitors still have not been able to dislodge the iPod in that space. I suspect they may be facing a similar challenge in the tablet space as well.
    What are you talking about? Every single thing that you said could also have been said about the iPhone and the 200 Android phones that have been released. And look at how Android has FLEW past the Iphone.

  10. #29
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    7103
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    76
    How can I lose interest in product that has not been released and is just rumor?

  11. #30
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    1583
    Liked
    52 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,522
    There is an opinion by an expert that the other manufacturers will never be competitive with the iPad. Apple has too much in-house control of the process. It keeps everything coordinated and focused. The other manufacturers depend on outside vendors for the software, product designs, and accessories. For example, Apple used the ARM processor, which they own. The others buy the ARM, Intel, or other processors. Apple gets the best, first and without markup. Apple owns the iOS, which means they control what features, when they come out, and can make the OS work more efficiently with their processor. The others have to wait for MS and Google to make changes to a generic OS, and then modify which features they are using. His argument has merit. It doesn't mean that others won't match the iPad's pricing, but that for the same money, you get a lesser product. So those who are into Android may have to pay more for the privilege.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. finally my iPad can help me lose weight
    By mspenc23 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 11:31 AM
  4. iPad interest before and after
    By JohnnyApple in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
  5. Apple iPad will bring up readers interest in reading!!
    By skywall in forum New Member Introductions - Site Assistance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 12:41 AM

Search tags for this page

0 interest ipad 2
,
how to render flash on ipad
,
ipad 1 using interest
,
ipad 2 0% interest
,
ipad 2 zero interest
,

lose it for ipad

,

lose it ipad

,
lose it! ipad
,
loseit ipad
,
render flash on ipad
,
render flash web pages on ipad
,

starting ipad 2

Click on a term to search for related topics.