Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Upgrading iPad 2 to iOS 7 when it is released. I have reservations!

This is a discussion on Upgrading iPad 2 to iOS 7 when it is released. I have reservations! within the iOS 7 forums, part of the iPad OS category; I'm also an owner of an iPad 2. I have been testing the last few versions of IOS 7 beta, currently on beta 5. With ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Upgrading iPad 2 to iOS 7 when it is released. I have reservations!

iPF Noob
    Member #

IOS 7 Performance iPad 2

I'm also an owner of an iPad 2. I have been testing the last few versions of IOS 7 beta, currently on beta 5. With each passing beta version of IOS 7 the performance on the iPad 2 improves but is not quite at the level of IOS 6. From what I understand Apple intends to release a beta 6 and then eventually will release the "Gold Master" version of the IOS before releasing the final product. If they maintain their current trajectory of improvements I fully expect IOS 7 to perform well on the iPad 2 when all is said and done. With that being said I would certainly wait a bit after the finished IOS 7 is released for public consumption in order to see what people have to say about their experiences. It won't be long before the iPad 2 is long in the tooth so I suspect on Apple's list of devices to worry about it's only a step above the iPhone 4; at least in terms of programming time to get the best IOS performance on the device. If there is a cool feature they want to see in IOS7 for the iphone 5, and eventual 5S that might contain code that slows the iPad 2 (even if the feature isn't available on the device), I can't imagine Apple would eliminate it if they end up under at time crunch of some sort. I'll try to remember to post back here when Apple releases the next beta (I think next week) and try to report on the iPad 2 performance changes.

2. Ads

iPF Noob
    Member #
    Quick update... been testing IOS 7 beta 6 for about a day now and it is sooooo very close to the performance of IOS 6. I'm confident that the final version, only one more beta away I believe, will be as fast if not faster thatn IOS 6 on the iPad 2.

iPad Fan
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyweather View Post
    Quick update... been testing IOS 7 beta 6 for about a day now and it is sooooo very close to the performance of IOS 6. I'm confident that the final version, only one more beta away I believe, will be as fast if not faster that IOS 6 on the iPad 2.
    Curious as to whether the performance you are seeing is measured with a software tool or seat of the pants.

iPF Noob
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue92 View Post
    Curious as to whether the performance you are seeing is measured with a software tool or seat of the pants.
    Sadly it's more seat of my pants right now. I've extensively been using beta 6 since it came out. I ran a benchmarking app for ios 7 beta 5 and the results were lower than I expected, I didn't take note of them or anything because it as more curiosity than a true investigation of things,

While it is noticeably more smooth than the previous betas, beta 6 isn't up to snuff yet. iOS 6 is far superior still. In fact iPad beta of ios7 seems to be way behind that of the iPhone at this point. I tend to believe the rumors that the iPad release of the iOS 7 will be delayed just based on my experiences thus far. I am hearing an iOS 7 gold master release with the new iPhone and the gold master for the iPad released a few weeks later. I truly hope they get things right for the iPad before releasing it. Apple is so damn secretive so it is hard to tell how many more betas there will be at this point.

I am sure a lot of the quirks are app related and them not being fully updated for iOS7. Still it feels like iOS 7 on the iPad 2 at least is still a few steps behind iOS 7 for iPhone and a few more steps still from iOS 6

iPF Novice
    Member #
    So I still am on iOs 6.1 JB with my iPad 2 and wondering what folks who have upgraded to 7 think of the performance. I have held off due to performance concerns, but am thinking about updating. Thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by schwartzulous View Post
    So I still am on iOs 6.1 JB with my iPad 2 and wondering what folks who have upgraded to 7 think of the performance. I have held off due to performance concerns, but am thinking about updating. Thoughts?
    the window for jailbreaking on iOS 7 is closing rapidly, with the upcoming release of iOS 7.1 in the next few weeks. If you want to jailbreak on iOS 7, you'll have to update before iOS 7.1 is released as iOS 7.1 plugs several jailbreak exploits and is currently not jailbreakable.
    scifan57, iPad Forums Moderator
    Please read the Forum rules.http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

iPF Novice
    Member #
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by scifan57 View Post
    the window for jailbreaking on iOS 7 is closing rapidly, with the upcoming release of iOS 7.1 in the next few weeks. If you want to jailbreak on iOS 7, you'll have to update before iOS 7.1 is released as iOS 7.1 plugs several jailbreak exploits and is currently not jailbreakable.
    Right, I am mostly wondering how well the 2 will do running 7.0.4...

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    R Right, I am mostly wondering how well the 2 will do running 7.0.4...
    I have an iPad 2 on iOS 7.0.4 and haven't noticed any problems. I don't, however, use it as much as I used to before I got an iPad 4.
    scifan57, iPad Forums Moderator
    Please read the Forum rules.http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

iPF Novice
    Member #
    R
    Right, I am mostly wondering how well the 2 will do running 7.0.4...
    I've been using my 2 on ios 7.0.4 for a few months. Love it. I have heard some negative feedback though. Some have issues with specific processes and others don't. I say go for it but it's ultimately up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPF Noob
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I held off updating my ipad 2 until last week, as I too was worried it might slow it down. I have to say I have not had any issues and I'm really pleased I updated. I did a full backup before I started, wiped my ipad and restored it using itunes, as this is what I was advised to do at the apple store, a fresh install is safer. I'm pleased to say mine went very well and I haven't looked back.
    The OB likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links