Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

IOS 6 Update Question About GPS & Maps?

This is a discussion on IOS 6 Update Question About GPS & Maps? within the iOS 6 forums, part of the iPad OS category; I have NOT updated to the new IOS6 because I have some concerns. I've got the new iPad 3 4g model but have no 4g ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question IOS 6 Update Question About GPS & Maps?

I have NOT updated to the new IOS6 because I have some concerns. I've got the new iPad 3 4g model but have no 4g plan. I understand that the google maps with my model work as a gps even with no cell service or wifi connection. But, if I do update to ios6, I understand I could only use google maps going through Safari but if I did that, wouldn't I need cell service plan or at least constant wifi connection? Is there ever going to be a google map app for ios6 that will work like now without cell or wifi connection?

Will the Apple Maps App allow the GPS function without service plan or wifi connection on the IOS6 like the Google Maps did on the ios5?

On a side note... Will there be a YouTube App for the IOS6?

I am really unsure whether to do this update or not.

2. Ads

iPF Noob
    Member #
    I am on iPad 2. Did the update and Maps stopped working. Don't do it. I'll have to restore previous version if they don't fix it today

Grytpype
    Well done for not updating to iOS 6 !! You'll lose Google Maps if you do, and there'll be no way to get it back you'll be stuck with the POS Apple version.

Don't fall for the tricks Apple will use to get you to do the iOS update the new iTunes will initiate the update by the back door, so don't update that either. Also, an update badge in the "Settings" app will try to get you to do the update. Ignore it!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    575 times
    This screenshot shows the LandTrackerPro app, with the new iOS6 maps. It's not too bad.

IOS 6 Update Question About GPS & Maps?-image-1772475144.jpg
    Apple Equipment (so far) rMBP 15"; iPad 2 (iOS 7.1); iPhone 5s (iOS 7.1); iPhone 4 (iOs 7.1); AirPort Extreme; Airport Express; AppleTV

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    411 times
    To use the Web you need a cellular plan. With Google maps you can cache maps to local storage (at you can on android) so you can use those wiwithout any plan if you have gps.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPad mini - 64 GB - LTE - Black | iPad (3nd Gen) - 64GB - LTE - Black | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

Grytpype
    To answer the point about GPS without a service plan, take a look at the MotionX GPS HD app. With that, you can download Bing maps for offline use, so you can use them even when you have no WiFi or cell coverage. You can download as many tiles as you like free, limited only by how much space you have on your device.

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grytpype View Post
    Well done for not updating to iOS 6 !! You'll lose Google Maps if you do, and there'll be no way to get it back you'll be stuck with the POS Apple version.

Don't fall for the tricks Apple will use to get you to do the iOS update the new iTunes will initiate the update by the back door, so don't update that either. Also, an update badge in the "Settings" app will try to get you to do the update. Ignore it!
    I haven't been on iTunes for a while, will iTunes automatically update when I open it again or does it give me the option to or not to?

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grytpype View Post
    To answer the point about GPS without a service plan, take a look at the MotionX GPS HD app. With that, you can download Bing maps for offline use, so you can use them even when you have no WiFi or cell coverage. You can download as many tiles as you like free, limited only by how much space you have on your device.
    That sounds interesting.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wvkawboy

I haven't been on iTunes for a while, will iTunes automatically update when I open it again or does it give me the option to or not to?
    iTunes will not automatically update. You need to initiate that yourself, and even if you do so, it will not force you to download ios6. It will just bug you each time you open it.
    Apple Equipment (so far) rMBP 15"; iPad 2 (iOS 7.1); iPhone 5s (iOS 7.1); iPhone 4 (iOs 7.1); AirPort Extreme; Airport Express; AppleTV

iPF Novice
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    To use the Web you need a cellular plan. With Google maps you can cache maps to local storage (at you can on android) so you can use those wiwithout any plan if you have gps.
    Yep, but my problem is that IF I update, then Google maps will no longer work.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links