Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Is the ATT 3G iPad2 unlocked?

This is a discussion on Is the ATT 3G iPad2 unlocked? within the International iPad Users forums, part of the Regional iPad Groups category; Newbie here. Can't seem to find out if I can use my new 3G iPad 2 with another carrier's SIM. I am planning to go ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    iPad Noob!
    Member #
    68401
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2

    Is the ATT 3G iPad2 unlocked?

    Newbie here. Can't seem to find out if I can use my new 3G iPad 2 with another carrier's SIM. I am planning to go to China. If it is locked, is there an unlock available?

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    14571
    Liked
    632 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Troon, Scotland
    Posts
    7,104
    In the UK, it depends on whether the purchase was subsidised by the carrier. For example, we can purchase iPad's from Orange for a discount, but they are LOCKED to Orange SIMS (I have one of these, so can confirm from experience), whereas any iPad purchased at full price from Apple or a retail outlet is UNLOCKED (my Wife has one, and again, I can use any SIM in it).

    I'm not sure if the same is now true in the US (I believe everything was unlocked at launch of iPad1), but the best indication is whether or not the iPad2 cost you full retail price (in which case it will be unlocked) or whether it was significantly discounted by AT&T, in which case it will likely be locked.

    Hope that helps.
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 7.0b2 (stock) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)


    Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!

  4. #3
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    21736
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by f4780y View Post
    I'm not sure if the same is now true in the US (I believe everything was unlocked at launch of iPad1), but the best indication is whether or not the iPad2 cost you full retail price (in which case it will be unlocked) or whether it was significantly discounted by AT&T, in which case it will likely be locked.

    Hope that helps.
    I wasn't aware that AT&T was offering discounts on their new iPads 2's. They were offering refurbished models on their website, though. Also, I thought all of the GSM iPads were sold unlocked?

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    14571
    Liked
    632 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Troon, Scotland
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose
    I wasn't aware that AT&T was offering discounts on their new iPads 2's. They were offering refurbished models on their website, though. Also, I thought all of the GSM iPads were sold unlocked?
    That's very possibly true Irish Rose. As I say, I can only speak authoritatively for the UK where you can purchase locked iPads (I have one!) as well as unlocked (I have one too!).
    15" MacBookPro with Retina Display 16GB 3.4GHz i7 256GB | iPad4 WiFi 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad3 4G 64GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPad2 3G 64GB 5.1.1 (redsn0w) | iPad1 3G 64GB 4.3.3 (jbme) |
    iPhone5 32GB 6.1.2 (evasi0n) | iPhone4S 64GB 5.1.1 (absinthe) | iPhone4 32GB 7.0b2 (stock) | iPhone3G 16GB 3.1.3 (jbme) | iPod Classic 6G 160GB (stock) | AppleTV 2G 5.0.2 (seas0npass)


    Please review the hacking section rules and our main rules before posting!

  6. #5
    iPad Junkie!
    Member #
    21736
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    235
    Thanks, f4780y. I did a little more research on this and according to the article in this link, Apple confirmed that AT&T's iPad 2 here in the US is unlocked. Apple Confirms: iPad 2 3G AT&T Model from US Unlocked | iPad in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPad Resource

  7. #6
    iPad Enthusiast!
    Member #
    17246
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose
    Thanks, f4780y. I did a little more research on this and according to the article in this link, Apple confirmed that AT&T's iPad 2 here in the US is unlocked. Apple Confirms: iPad 2 3G AT&T Model from US Unlocked | iPad in Canada Blog - Canadas #1 iPad Resource
    Hi Irish Rose,

    I bought iPad 2 in USA (AT&T) and activated it in Indonesia. It is unlocked. So you don't have to worry about this.
    Hope this will be a little help.

    VinVan


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Unlocked or Locked
    By mark1961 in forum iPad Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 04:06 AM
  2. Is There Such A Thing As An Unlocked iPad?
    By Ultrimate in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
  3. iPhone 4 has been unlocked.
    By MikesTooLz in forum iPad Hacking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 02:42 AM

Search tags for this page

are at&t ipads unlocked

,
at&t ipad unlocked
,
how to unlock att ipad
,
ipad 2 at&t unlocked
,
ipad 2 att unlock
,
is at&t ipad 2 unlocked
,

unlock ipad 2 at&t

,
unlock ipad 2 att
Click on a term to search for related topics.