Many people believe that the time of physical content such as DVD and Bluray is coming to an end. With the ability to purchase a movie or TV show online, and watch it in a matter of seconds, I can see the reasoning behind it, but nothing is further than the truth.
Physical movie content comes in 2 forms. DVD or Bluray, thats it.
But if you look at digital content, each brand and device category has their own movie store. iTunes only works with Apple, Google Play works only with Android, Samsung MediaHub only works with Samsung devices, and so on.
None of these stores take the content you already have into account, so if you want to watch your favorite movie on your TV and on your Samsung Galaxy S3, you will need to purchase it twice, and what makes things even worse is that purchases from one don't mix with those from another, so if you switch to something else, from Apple to Android or the other way around, the content you purchased for your old device will not work on the new one, so you will need to purchase your favorite movies again.
But, if you purchase your movies in physical form, you can use a program such as DVD Catalyst to convert your movie to a format that will work perfectly on your Samsung Galaxy S3, and if you do upgrade later-on, you can either use the same file, or convert the disk again for your other device.
This "How To Guide" explains how you can convert movies and TV shows for your Samsung Galaxy S3 from your existing collection, so that you can watch them on your Galaxy S3, without having to purchase them again from a digital movie store.
* Of course your Samsung Galaxy S3. While you don't need it for the actual process, of course if you want to watch a movie on the Galaxy S3, you need it to be able to put the movie onto it.
* The connection cable for your Galaxy S3.
* Windows-based PC in order to be able to run DVD Catalyst 4. DVD Catalyst 4 is currently only available for computers and laptops running Microsoft Windows. It works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, on 32bit as well as 64bit systems.
* Conversion software. There is a large variety of different tools available for this. You can do it the free way, with applications such as Handbrake and Freemake, or with one of the many overpriced applications that are found all over the internet, but for this guide I am using DVD Catalyst 4, one of the most popular conversion applications for phones and tablets due to its ease of use, the support provided when needed, and of course the very affordable price.
You can purchase DVD Catalyst 4 (for a limited time 50% off) by clicking here (link), or download the free trial version by clicking here (link) The trial version converts 25% of each item.
Currently there is no Apple Mac or Linux version available of DVD Catalyst 4.
* DVD drive for if you want to convert DVDs or a Bluray drive if you want to convert Blurays for your Samsung Galaxy S3, or direct access to your video file (AVI, MKV, ISO etc) collection if you want to convert those to the proper format for your Samsung Galaxy S3.
With video files, DVD Catalyst works without the need of anything else. It even includes its own video and audio codecs, so it is even able to convert video files to Samsung Galaxy S3 optimized videos even if your might not be able to play the original video. However, if you want to use DVD Catalyst 4 with Blurays, additional software is needed.
* Movies or TV shows. Of course you need videos that you want to watch on your Samsung Galaxy S3.
DVD Catalyst can not convert so-called "Digital Copy" movies, or movie and TV episodes purchased through iTunes or similar online video services such as Amazon UnBox and UltraViolet. These video files are DRM-protected, which prevents software such as DVD Catalyst from converting them.
Video files that do not include DRM such as AVI, DIVX, ISO, MKV, MPEG etc can be converted normally with DVD Catalyst.
Step 1: Download and install DVD Catalyst 4 on your computer.
Step 2: Start DVD Catalyst 4 and select the Samsung Galaxy S3 video player device profile.
Step 3: Insert your DVD or drag your video files over onto DVD Catalyst 4.
Step 4: Tap Go to start the conversion process.
Step 5. Connect your Galaxy S3 to your computer and copy the file over.
Once completed, just open the build-in video player app on your Samsung Galaxy S3, and tap the movie to play it.
For more information, please have a look here:
DVD Catalyst Samsung Galaxy S3 Guide