Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

Can iPad replace built-in nav?

This is a discussion on Can iPad replace built-in nav? within the Car Systems forums, part of the iPAD Connect category; Most cars nowadays offer a dashboard navigation option for about $2000, installed at the factory. Is something like the $40 Navigon iPad app (along with ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    221238
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    43

    Can iPad replace built-in nav?

    Most cars nowadays offer a dashboard navigation option for about $2000, installed at the factory. Is something like the $40 Navigon iPad app (along with all the other conveniences of the iPad) a decent alternative? Is it then just a matter of mounting the iPad in the car?

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    418 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,345
    I just posted on this in another thread. The answer is yes. I admit that the in dash option is neater all around, but if you own an iPad and don't mind mounting hardware, navigon works very well. The large screen makes viewing very easy. I like the 3D maps that navigon gives. I don't not yet own the traffic option. Also, all the navigon apps are on sale in the app store. I dont work for them and really aren't trying to selling anyone on this app. There are other options.

    My next car probably will have the nav on the dash, but I still enjoy using the iPad in my current 12-yr old car.



    http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-S...ipad+car+mount
    Last edited by AQ_OC; 07-09-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  4. #3
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    172768
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    58
    I use the Navfree App on both my iPhone and iPad. It's very accurate and as the name suggests its free. The user interface isn't bad once you get used to it and the screen is based on the popular Garmin and TomTom Satnav units. I'm yet to mount he iPad properly in the car, as I'm still researching my options.
    Black iPad 2, 32gb 3G on UK 3 Network.

  5. #4
    iPad Fan
    Member #
    7569
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Deltona, FL USA
    Posts
    145
    AQ_OC -Thanks for this link. I ordered one and installed it and this is the bomb. It is a little wobbly when going over bumps but nothing too bad. No fear of it coming loose and I use it in with my case on.
    Great addition, thanks for the link to the product. I may have to buy one for my wife's car...
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    I just posted on this in another thread. The answer is yes. I admit that the in dash option is neater all around, but if you own an iPad and don't mind mounting hardware, navigon works very well. The large screen makes viewing very easy. I like the 3D maps that navigon gives. I don't not yet own the traffic option. Also, all the navigon apps are on sale in the app store. I dont work for them and really aren't trying to selling anyone on this app. There are other options.

    My next car probably will have the nav on the dash, but I still enjoy using the iPad in my current 12-yr old car.



    Amazon.com: Arkon Tablet Seat Bolt Mount (TAB-FSM): Electronics
    Richard Sava
    iPad 3 4G 64GB - iPod touch 16GB - iPhone 4
    The iPad may well be the most perfect electronic gadget currently on the market. (Yes, that includes the Droid Tablets)
    And yes, if you take it from my hands I will stop breathing.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    418 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,345
    Richard,

    Glad you like it. I'm a bit sad to report that I no longer use mine...I bought a new car with a 7-inch nav unit built in. It is not as nice as the iPad in the holder with navigon, but it is easier as I don't have to use that extra hardware and have wires running around. And I do miss the feature of Navigon that gives you the speed limit on any road you are on. I implement that my running Navigon on my phone and linking that into my car system via BT, but it only works when I'm using the iPhone as a source for audio.

    I had these bits of stiff form that I used to brace the iPad against the dash. That cut down on the vibrations. I'm sure you can dream up some way to minimize them.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  7. #6
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    221238
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    Richard,

    Glad you like it. I'm a bit sad to report that I no longer use mine...I bought a new car with a 7-inch nav unit built in. It is not as nice as the iPad in the holder with navigon, but it is easier as I don't have to use that extra hardware and have wires running around. And I do miss the feature of Navigon that gives you the speed limit on any road you are on. I implement that my running Navigon on my phone and linking that into my car system via BT, but it only works when I'm using the iPhone as a source for audio.

    I had these bits of stiff form that I used to brace the iPad against the dash. That cut down on the vibrations. I'm sure you can dream up some way to minimize them.
    Well for me, I also have a older car — 2001 model — and now have just mounted my new iPad! (woohoo!) I have only two cables, and they're neatly tucked away.

    The biggest issue around this whole concept isn't the mounting or the wires or the cost of the Navigon app.

    Instead, it's the MONTHLY DATA PLAN costs. I'm cheap. I don't own any other mobile device except for the iPad3. So I have to manage it. I get Verizon's $20=1GB for one month, which is twice as much as I need (for the week that I go mobile about three times a year). No way am I gonna pay 12 months for any data plan!

    So the iPad solution is way way more expensive compared to an old hand held Garmin GPS that only consume AA batteries. This is a very interesting discussion.
    Last edited by veryken; 09-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    418 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by veryken View Post
    Well for me, I also have a older car — 2001 model — and now have just mounted my new iPad! (woohoo!) I have only two cables, and they're neatly tucked away.

    The biggest issue around this whole concept isn't the mounting or the wires or the cost of the Navigon app.

    Instead, it's the MONTHLY DATA PLAN costs. I'm cheap. I don't own any other mobile device except for the iPad3. So I have to manage it. I get Verizon's $20=1GB for one month, which is twice as much as I need (for the week that I go mobile about three times a year). No way am I gonna pay 12 months for any data plan!

    So the iPad solution is way way more expensive compared to an old hand held Garmin GPS that only consume AA batteries. This is a very interesting discussion.
    I'm confused....why do you need a data plan for in-car Nav on an iPad? Assuming you have the cellular version and something like Navigon, you don't need a data plan. If ou have the Wifi version, you can just buy a GPS receiver and use BT. No data plan needed.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  9. #8
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    221238
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC

    I'm confused....why do you need a data plan for in-car Nav on an iPad? Assuming you have the cellular version and something like Navigon, you don't need a data plan. If ou have the Wifi version, you can just buy a GPS receiver and use BT. No data plan needed.
    That would be a dream come true — my little handheld GPS acting as a WiFi hotspot.

    Or which particular model GPS receiver are you talking about? I can already foresee myself dividing the total initial cost of it by the cost of a monthly data plan to project the longevity or "break even point."

  10. #9
    iPad Enthusiast
    Member #
    14699
    Liked
    15 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Woodlands MB, Canada
    Posts
    392
    A Bluetooth GPS isn't a hotspot as such.. It just connects to the iPad (or any other device for that matter) using a radio signal rather than a cable. Here's a link to one model:

    Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: GPS & Navigation ..

    There are more.. Just search for "bluetooth GPS iPad"

  11. #10
    iPF Novice
    Member #
    221238
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by jwt873
    A Bluetooth GPS isn't a hotspot as such.. It just connects to the iPad (or any other device for that matter) using a radio signal rather than a cable. Here's a link to one model:

    Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: GPS & Navigation ..

    There are more.. Just search for "bluetooth GPS iPad"
    Interesting!

    It doesn't specifically mention compatibility with any of the map apps (either Apple's or Google's). I suppose they would work okay (while roaming outside without cellular signal) but only for the GPS positional data? So for example, address search is not functional? No business names? No places of interest?

    Obviously no help for GasBuddy, INRX traffic, ZabCab, Find iPhone, etc.?


Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. will the ipad replace the laptop
    By tazz3 in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
  2. The Ipad almost can replace my laptop.
    By qnet in forum iPad General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
  3. iPad built for Verizon?
    By iDan in forum iPad Carriers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 11:48 PM
  4. iPad built in FM Radio?
    By iDan in forum Apple iPad News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Search tags for this page

apps nav for ipad

,

gps on ipad car

,

ipad as a built in navigation system

,

ipad built into car

,

ipad dash board mount

,

ipad mini car mount

,

mount ipad on car dash

,

navigon ipad display

Click on a term to search for related topics.