Welcome to iPadForums.net Guest - Click Here to Register

New Review Finds Fault With iPad Mini

This is a discussion on New Review Finds Fault With iPad Mini within the Apple iPad News forums, part of the Apple iPad Forums category; AppleInsider writes today about an in-depth examination of Apple’s new iPad mini by DisplayMate, which finds plenty of faults, and compares it unfavourably with its ...

iPadForums.net is the original Apple iPad Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    iPadForums News Team
    Member #
    6277
    Liked
    92 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,408

    New Review Finds Fault With iPad Mini


    AppleInsider writes today about an in-depth examination of Apple’s new iPad mini by DisplayMate, which finds plenty of faults, and compares it unfavourably with its main rivals such as the Google Nexus 7 and Amazon Kindle Fire HD. The test used lab measurements and various viewing tests featuring test patterns and images, which were used to evaluate the various tablets’ screen reflectivity, brightness and contrast, colours and intensities, viewing angles, display backlight power consumption and running time. DisplayMate’s Dr. Raymond Soneira said that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD performed better than the iPad mini in sharpness tests, adding that they “both delivered considerably sharper text.” The iPad mini’s color gamut and screen reflectance also failed to impress, with Soneira noting that by backtracking to older LCD technology, Apple is making a big step back from the 100% color gamut of the third-gen iPad and the iPhone 5. Possibly most significantly though, the tests found that the iPad mini reflected 53% more ambient light than the Nexus 7 and 41% more ambient light than the Kindle Fire, which is a bit of a disappointment with the smaller tablet being so much more portable than the full-sized iPad. It’s not all bad news though, as AppleInsider also notes that the iPad mini still had high picture quality and accurate color reproduction. Soneira also went on to say that it is “certainly a very capable small Tablet, but it does not follow in Apple’s tradition of providing the best display, or at least a great display - it just has a very capable display.”


    Source: iPad mini display found to be 'just very capable,' outperformed by rivals
    iPad mini Display Technology Shoot-Out

  2. Ads


  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    418 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,345
    If you ask me, this kind of thing is the result of the "race to the bottom" now going on in the tablet space. If that didn't exist, then Apple would have waited until they could develop a version of this device that met all of their design goals, including a retina screen. Remember, it is unlike that Apple will introduce a new resolution for mini, thus a retina display will have a 2048 by 1536 pixel display, which would be 326 ppi. I don't think they can deliver this now with the same characteristics as the current mini: 10+ hour battery life, 0.68/0.69 weight, and super thin and cool running, all on top of this level of retina screen, with the ability to run 275000+ apps.

    I would love to hear arguments as to why others seem so convinced they can do this now.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  4. #3
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    110082
    Liked
    111 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC
    If you ask me, this kind of thing is the result of the "race to the bottom" now going on in the tablet space. If that didn't exist, then Apple would have waited until they could develop a version of this device that met all of their design goals, including a retina screen. Remember, it is unlike that Apple will introduce a new resolution for mini, thus a retina display will have a 2048 by 1536 pixel display, which would be 326 ppi. I don't think they can deliver this now with the same characteristics as the current mini: 10+ hour battery life, 0.68/0.69 weight, and super thin and cool running, all on top of this level of retina screen, with the ability to run 275000+ apps.

    I would love to hear arguments as to why others seem so convinced they can do this now.
    It would be tough but they could work it in somehow. Maybe a slight sacrifice of battery life and a tad more weight would work? I know the portability is huge with the mini but a few grams here and there can't be that bad. Maybe I'm wrong? How about $349 with a retina display and 9 hours of battery life? Ya never know.

    32GB Wifi iPad 2 / OS 7.0

  5. #4
    iPF Noob
    Member #
    257379
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Not worth it..

  6. #5
    iPad Junkie
    Member #
    236770
    Liked
    99 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Moreno View Post
    Not worth it..
    Maybe to you but others out there think it's worth it.
    Current Apple Devices:

    iPad 3-Black-16G-WiFi
    iPod Touch 4th Gen-Black-8G-WiFi

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    49720
    Liked
    418 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
    It would be tough but they could work it in somehow. Maybe a slight sacrifice of battery life and a tad more weight would work? I know the portability is huge with the mini but a few grams here and there can't be that bad. Maybe I'm wrong? How about $349 with a retina display and 9 hours of battery life? Ya never know.
    You do realize that a retina display at 326 ppi in 7.9 inches has not be developed before, and certainly not to the standards of an Apple display. Expecting to get that by competing with companies that are trying to steal the tablet market by selling devices at no profit? Why bother? Here is little incentive to develop top tier products if you are not going to make a profit. Would you do that?

    I say to people who want rock bottom prices you just buy those devices that are being offered at rock bottom prices. That's why competition is a good thing...until it is not.

    I don't want it to weigh a gram more than it weigh. I tend to case my toys...so the real weight is the weight inside a case. A gram here and there and all of a sudden the advantages of the device are gone.

    Apple is a master at what they do (build mobile devices). Google and Amazon are not. Google is stealing the market away from the very companies that are developing for it. That is a sad thing.

    Frankly, I'd pay full price for a retina iPad mini that weighs the same as this mini, gets the same battery life, same components, albeit with a more recent processor, and has the same thermal characteristics. It would be worth it and few would buy the 9.7-inch iPad.
    mini iPad w/ RD - 128 LTE - Space Grey | iPhone 4S - 64GB - White | Nexus 10 | Nexus 7 2013 | Kindle Fire
    * * * Forum Rules * * *
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html

  8. #7
    iPad Addict
    Member #
    110082
    Liked
    111 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC

    You do realize that a retina display at 326 ppi in 7.9 inches has not be developed before, and certainly not to the standards of an Apple display. Expecting to get that by competing with companies that are trying to steal the tablet market by selling devices at no profit? Why bother? Here is little incentive to develop top tier products if you are not going to make a profit. Would you do that?

    I say to people who want rock bottom prices you just buy those devices that are being offered at rock bottom prices. That's why competition is a good thing...until it is not.

    I don't want it to weigh a gram more than it weigh. I tend to case my toys...so the real weight is the weight inside a case. A gram here and there and all of a sudden the advantages of the device are gone.

    Apple is a master at what they do (build mobile devices). Google and Amazon are not. Google is stealing the market away from the very companies that are developing for it. That is a sad thing.

    Frankly, I'd pay full price for a retina iPad mini that weighs the same as this mini, gets the same battery life, same components, albeit with a more recent processor, and has the same thermal characteristics. It would be worth it and few would buy the 9.7-inch iPad.
    I didn't realize they didn't have the screen ready at this point. Figured they have these displays on iPods and iPods so why not the mini?

    I think the competition from google and amazon, or whomever else, is a good thing for us. Keeps apple on its toes. I understand the google comment though, well see how that plays out. Amazon will do their thing as well with the kindle. It's really a decent device and shouldn't be viewed as lower end junk or anything like that.

    The mini just felt a little premature, that's all. It's selling well and that's the important thing for apple. Once they get the next gen unit all speced out, it'll be even better than the current mini.

    32GB Wifi iPad 2 / OS 7.0

  9. #8
    iPad Wizard
    Member #
    49745
    Liked
    440 times
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by AQ_OC View Post
    You do realize that a retina display at 326 ppi in 7.9 inches has not be developed before, and certainly not to the standards of an Apple display. Expecting to get that by competing with companies that are trying to steal the tablet market by selling devices at no profit? Why bother? Here is little incentive to develop top tier products if you are not going to make a profit. Would you do that?

    I say to people who want rock bottom prices you just buy those devices that are being offered at rock bottom prices. That's why competition is a good thing...until it is not.

    I don't want it to weigh a gram more than it weigh. I tend to case my toys...so the real weight is the weight inside a case. A gram here and there and all of a sudden the advantages of the device are gone.

    Apple is a master at what they do (build mobile devices). Google and Amazon are not. Google is stealing the market away from the very companies that are developing for it. That is a sad thing.

    Frankly, I'd pay full price for a retina iPad mini that weighs the same as this mini, gets the same battery life, same components, albeit with a more recent processor, and has the same thermal characteristics. It would be worth it and few would buy the 9.7-inch iPad.
    Competition means hardware makers can make diff types of hardware for diff customers. Maybe not everyone wants a "top tier" tablet. Rolls-Royce can make its high-end product, but shouldn't preclude other carmakers from making products for other customers. It shouldn't be a case of, oh if you can't afford Apple, or just don't want to spend that much, too bad for you. Tech should be available at diff levels, accessible to as many people as possible. If Apple or any other hardware maker can't figure out how to survive, too bad.


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. iPad mini Review
    By throwback8 in forum iPad Mini Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM
  2. c|net review of iPad mini is up
    By AQ_OC in forum iPad Mini Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM
  3. Otterbox Defender-Mini Review
    By AVService in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM
  4. Prop It Up - mini review
    By Oche in forum iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Search tags for this page

fault with ipad mini
,
faults with ipad mini
,
i pad mini faults
,
ipad mini
,
ipad mini fault
,

ipad mini faults

,
ipad mini faulty
,
mini ipad faults
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread