The iPad Mini is the darling of teenagers, thereís no doubt about that. Its more portable form factor isnít the single feature that is attracting teens and other categories of users, with the display also playing a major role.
According to a new report coming from analyst Amit Daryanani with RBC Capital Markets, the inclusion of the Retina Display in the iPad Mini 2 will help the 7.9 inch tablet outsell the fifth-generation iPad by nearly 2:1 this holiday season. The analyst sees the iPad mini taking a 65 percent share of Apple's overall new tablet sales, while the 9.7-inch iPad 5 will account for the remaining 35 percent.
There might be some issues with the production of a Retina-packed iPad Mini. First of all, Apple might have to postpone the iPad Mini 2 launch because of supply constraints, which means it could be launched after the iPad 5, on a separate event. Secondly, the iPad mini 2 could be thicker to accommodate a bigger battery. If Apple manages to release the iPad Mini 2 with the Retina Display during the same time as the iPad 5 and if the device isnít much thicker than the previous generation, then it probably has good chances of outselling its bigger brother.
Analyst David Evanson of Canaccord Genuity is on the iPad 5 side as he thinks that the slimmer fifth-generation iPad will slightly outsell the Retina iPad mini. He even gives some accurate numbers: 12.9 million "iPad 5" units to 11.5 million Retina iPad mini units.
What do you think? Which iPad is going to be more popular - the iPad 5 or the iPad Mini 2?