Weather Channel Launches All-New 3D Interactive iPad App
There are so many weather apps out there, many of them free, that its really hard to pick a good one and stick with it. I've always liked The Weather Channel's app, just because it's so comprehensive, great to look at, and comes from an established source, and as from today that app has just got even better, with The Weather Channel announcing a completely revamped iPad app, featuring special enhancements for iPad 2. The new interface goes beyond forecasts to tell the weather story, and its impact on daily lives, via immersive visuals, an interactive 3D globe with spinning map view, an integrated news and social tab, weather-triggered background images, and much more.
Here are some of the app's main features as outlined by The Weather Channel:
"In the age of the interactive social experience, we know weather information needs to be visual, accurate and at your fingertips. Part of the success of our iPad app has been our ability to listen to consumer feedback for ideas on how to improve, and we have learned a lot since it first launched with the original iPad," said Cameron Clayton, executive vice president of digital product at The Weather Channel Companies. "This was an opportunity to create a better product that's all about the consumer and gives them the opportunity to truly explore and share."
The new app also offers many popular functions carried over from the original app, such as an extensive index of advanced interactive weather maps with local points of interest, and customizable animated weather layers such as radar, clouds, UV index, rainfall, snowfall and more, not forgetting the all-important severe weather alerts with Push notifications and GPS "Find me" availability for weather conditions. It really is a great app, especially if you're an iPad 2 owner.
- Weather-triggered background images on the home screen change to match local conditions, with 3D animated backgrounds available on iPad 2 devices.
- An immersive weather forecast screen displays current conditions, a 10-day forecast, and expandable hourly forecasts in 15-minute TruPoint(SM) increments for deeper engagement.
- An interactive 3D spinning globe view to spin, pinch and zoom for weather. A satellite map shows pinpointed favorite locations, geo-tagged iWitness photos and more.
- A news mash-up of the latest weather news articles from TWC, user-submitted iWitness Weather photos, and Twitter feeds from TWC meteorologists and severe weather experts.
- Social integration allows consumers to "Share" weather conditions via email, Twitter or Facebook; post a Tweet or upload iWitness photos and video directly from the iPad camera.
- HD-quality video of top news, weather forecasts, featured videos and original TV clips
Click here to download the free app: The Weather Channel® for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Source: The Weather Channel