Top New Features of iOS 5 Shown at Apple's 'Let's Talk iPhone' Event; Coming Oct.12th
Apple's Scott Forstall was quoted saying,
Here are the top new features of iOS5:
"We've already seeded 100,000 developers, and they love it. We can't wait to get it in other peoples' hands."
The new iOS 5 will be launching on October 12th!
- There's notifications, visible from the top by swiping down. No more annoying popups from Tiny Tower.
- Swipe across any and it'll take you right there. Bam.
- Then there's iMessage -- BBM for iOS, basically.
- Twitter integration "we have integrated Twitter deeply into the OS." No more signing in multiple times, and you can share pics right from Photos.
- Newsstand - GQ, Allure, Vanity Fair, The New York Times... lots of periodical powerhouses.
- Background downloads for new issues -- hey, that sounds like Distro. Which is coming soon, by the way...
- We're looking at the updated Camera app now. "We're making it really easy to get to the camera and take a photo." Double-tap on the home button and, bam, you can take a pic. - And, you can use volume up to take a photo. Not a proper shutter release, but it'll do.
- Now Game Center, updated to add photos of friends, achievement points, friend recommendations...
- Now Safari updates, talking about the reader function that strips out all the junk and pulls things into a single, readable page. "This works great on the iPad, it's fantastic on the iPhone." - You can add it to your reading list and hit it up later. - Syncs between iOS devices -- save once, read everywhere.
- Full tabbed browsing is coming to the iPad, so you can go between them with one tap instead of two.
- Mail updates now, adding rich formatting. Indentation, moving addresses around, flagging them...
- Now Scott's recapping the PC Free feature, so you can activate your device without plugging in. "There's no need for a computer." And, you can get wireless iOS updates.
Source: AppleForums.net via Engadget - Live Blog of Event