Gifting an iPad to Mac/PC Neophytes
I'm considering giving my parents an iPad as a gift but here's the rub:
1. Both are retirees and with a minimum of computer know-how
2. Current computer is 10 year old PC running Windows XP
3. Just got them off dial-up last year
4. They live 3.5 hours away
5. Neither has ever used any kind of Mac product
6. Leery of internet purchases (i.e. I don't know how they would like the idea of having their cc registered on itunes)
7. They don't do any heavy computing, just web surfing/e-mail
8. My last Mac was that little boxy thing about 20 years ago
Here's my dilemma: My mom is frustrated with the PC - it's just too cumbersome, takes too long to boot, too compilcated, and she hates being tied to a room. I'd considered getting her a netbook but I'm pretty sure she'd hate the tiny screen. And a laptop is out because I know she'd hate dragging something like that around the house.
Given their situation and needs I figured the iPad would be perfect for them. Lightweight, mobile (they have wireless), yada, yada, yada. Now the real question is...how easy is it for someone not familiar with computers to learn? I'm too far away to drop by if they have a problem and not familiar enough with the iPad or Mac products in general to give them advice over the phone.
Anyone out there gift an iPad to a non-techie?