Idea for an app
I don't own an ipad but I have an idea for an app that, if it existed, would probably make me buy the ipad and the app. I wanted to put this out there so that if it existed someone could tell me and I could go spend some money or if it doesn't exist, someone smarter than me could create and make money on. Here it is:
I'm a finance person by trade and I constantly walk around with a binder that has all the reports and information I need to be able to answer questions. The binder is full of hard copy reports and its separated by dividers and always ordered in the same way month after month. I call it my current month report book. I have one, so do all the other people who do the same job, and other people have books just like it but each book has different information.
What I'm looking for is an app where I can PDF files and organize them in a directory so that I basically have the book in an Ipad. It would have a interface that looks just like my binder, wth tabs for different reports (these would probably be subdirectories, and pages ordered in the order I PDF the files. The order in each tab would be the order of the files listed in the directory (not alpha or anything like that). Pages should be able to turn just like in a book. I'd want to be able to physically turn a page by a drag and drop or something like that.
I'd also want to be able to zoom in or out on any page and see multiple pages at a time so that I could compare,etc. Kind of like taking two or more pages out of a binder at one time to see them side by side.
I'd also want to have the ability to copy specific pages or my entire "book" to someone else with the same app by infrared (or however that stuff works)
1) Save the trees with less paper. I'm not even green but this ones pretty obvious.
2) I could get on a plane with one less carry-on bag (this could physically pay for itself with the new extra baggage charges.
3) The Ipad screen is big enough so that a regular size paper would actually be readable without zooming in too often. IPhones, etc. just aren't big enough.
4) The Ipad would be way better than a laptop for me because Laptops take too long to boot up (especially with all the crazy protocol my company's IT dept has them do at boot up and shut down). The Ipad is pretty much immediately on so when someone asks me a question, I could answer it quickly instead of having to boot up.
5) It would be cool and whoever invents it can make money on it and just say thanks for the idea to me.
This is my first forum thread ever so if this is completely atypical or off base for this forum, please forgive me for my ignorance.
It sounds to me like an app called "GoodReader" may be able to do most of what you're wanting.
It can wirelessly link to another computer and download PDFs via. A WiFi connection. From there, you can read the PDFs and arrange them into folders any way you want.
As a matter of fact, it's one of the only apps that I purchased. It's very good.
IMO, the iPad really needs a resident ability to print to a WiFi printer.
If you use onenote there is a app called mibilenoter that just got an update to also edit in mobilenoter. Before you couldn't and could only view your onenote notebooks. I have used onenote for years and now with mobilenoter and it's update, which is currently in Apples approval process, I believe it will do most, if not all, of the things your looking for. Mobilenoters web site is mobilenoter.com. Check it out and see if it's what you are looking for. I use it for business as well as personal, you can have as many notebooks as you need. It syncs either wifi or their cloud. I use it everyday and can't wait for the update to be released. It will make it an incredible asset.